Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-13-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax 67II

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/110934-pentax...-compared.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/110935-pentax...-compared.html

67II
Year introduced
Mount
Pentax 6x7 dual bayonet
Meter range
2 - 21 EV (AE pentaprism viewfinder)
Meter pattern
m (6 segment) c s
ISO range
6 - 6400
Film type
120 and 220 roll film
No. of exposures
120 film: 10, 220 film: 21
Data imprint on film
No
Exposure modes
Av, M, B, X, T
Exposure compensation
+/- 3 EV
Exposure memory lock
Yes
Shutter speeds (auto)
30 - 1/1000s
Shutter speeds (manual)
4 - 1/1000s
Shutter speeds (mechanical)
None
Half step speeds in M and Tv
No
Self timer
Yes
Mirror lock-up
Yes
Auto bracketing
No
Multiple exposures
Yes
Winder
No
Built-in flash
No
TTL flash
Yes
P-TTL flash
No
Sync speed
1/30s
Flash exposure comp
No
Autofocus
No
Autofocus sensitivity
Not applicable
Viewfinder
Exchangeable. Pentaprism 0.75x magnification and 90% coverage, waist level 100% coverage
Viewfinder type
Pentaprism, AE pentaprism with light meter and Av autoexposure, folding waist level, rigid waist level magnifying hood
Diopter correction
-2.5 - +1.5
Exchangeable screen
Yes
Depth of field preview
Yes (on lens)
Image size
55 x 70 mm
Battery
2c CR123A
External battery pack
No
Size (W x H x D)
185.5 x 151 x 106 mm (with AE prism, wothout lens)
Weight
1660 g with AE pentaprism finder
Comment
Accepts leaf shutter lens for flash synchronization to 1/500s.
The AE pentaprism with lightmeter couples to the shutter speed and aperture and provides for Av autoexposure and manual 'match needle' exposure

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo       

Last edited by Ole; 05-05-2010 at 07:09 PM.
11-23-2009, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #2
P67

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm surprised not to find any review or words about the 67ii. I've been using a P67 for a few years now for both astrophotography and landscape. A great rugged camera and well suited for astro with a battery bypass device developed by my friend.

I recently acquired a 67ii and can state that it surpasses the functionality of the older 67. Ergonomically - it seems to naturally fit the hands, and all functions to adjust exposure, MLU, ISO - everything is right where it should be. Additional features like a internal shade to block stray light from entering the view finder which could change the exposure reading, especially when using the timer mode. Timer mode, matrix, centre, or spot meter, which brings me to the AE prism.

The single most improved feature is the addition of AE and metering. Many times in low light conditions, the older 67 would require your to play with half stops on the lens to get the meter as close to the -< as possible, with the shutter dial being adjusted between .2 and .4. With AE on manual - the display visible in the view finder would show a .2 or .4 as the shutter speed selected. Switch to AE function and the in-between setting of .3 comes up. Adjust the lever to Auto on the lens, turn the dial and view the DOF, and fire away - knowing the best shutter speed is being selected for that exposure. Great for fast shooting situations.

Once you stop down the lens - the metering system automatically goes from matrix - for wide open wide angle shots - to centre weighted to average the scene. Select Spot - to get into those special lighting situations. In either case - AE is right there to select shutter speed, and it is displayed in the "heads up" view finder.

If you want to have more control - turn the EV dial to jump into manual mode. Dial in + or - exposure by 1/3 stop - up to 3 full stops in total. No need to reach around for the stop dial on the lens. It's all right there.

The frame counter is also shown in the heads up display. This can be changed - albeit by having the camera program changed - to display the f stop instead. Much more useful for my purposes.

Lastly - it meters with either inner - or outer lens ring connection. I've used the 67ii for astro photos with my Tec telescope at f7. The field flattener from Tec is designed to have the 67 cameras attached directly using the outside ring. Takes a bit of practice, but work well and locks up solid. I also use the 1.4x converter turning the scope into f/10. When you first turn on the camera with the finger lever, the meter will show a confused figure - and an arbitrary shutter speed that is way off the mark. Wait for the display to extinguish after 20 seconds, the activate the meter by touching the shutter button, or go manual. The meter will usually display the corrected value. Mine first showed 4s when turned on with the Tec, then cycling the AE changed the shutter speed to .4. I was shooting a 1/2 moon at the time.

In simplified terms - if you are serious about medium format photography, and love your older P67 or 6x7 camera, then get your hands on a 67ii. Once you do - you will NEVER let go. It's that good.

Last edited by P67; 11-23-2009 at 05:05 PM.
04-20-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Serious amateur

I bought my first 6x7 in 1974 along with a 135 macro lens. I still have the camera and still love it. Since then I have bought 5 other 67 bodies and 18 lenses.
I lived 2 miles from the west coast Pentax rep and she would let me try all the lenses. What an evil lady! She had a tiger head shot of mine shot with a SMC 300 mm F4 that I had printed 30x40 in the Pentax booth late in the last century.
When I heard Pentax was stopping production on the medium format cameras I searched to find a 67II. I bought a really good used one from B-H and went out to shoot New York, Steam town, and of course my grand kids.
There are some really good upgrades on this camera. The viewfinder on the AE prism has the eye correction on it and you don't have to keep spare diopter lenses for it when your eyes change (they do as you get older you know) I think the viewfinder is brighter and/or easier to focus with all my lenses. I have not had a bad exposure yet with the AE prism and I just love the TTL flash.
I ran out and bought the 540 AF flash for it and love the low light capabilities. I used a 300 mm F4. telephoto in a jazz club to shoot a singer in really low light TTLwith great success. It is even better with macro work. My favorite trick is to put 400 ISO film in it and shoot the 400 mm ED-IF lens with animals and action. Like I said I am a serious amateur not a pro and I have not had a bad exposure yet!
I held off writing this until I bought a second 67II body with AE prism. I have loved my 6x7's and 67's over the years and still shoot my first one. But, after 35 years of them I am switching over to the newer 67II. It's that much better.
Easier to shoot and with the same Pentax quality. The things I used to worry about like exposure and focus are history.
Combine this camera with Velvia film and a tripod and hit the mirror lock up before you shoot and you will be amazed. Then get a 500 mb scan - you'll see.
Enjoy, FW
Closed Thread