Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2007, 04:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax News...Something Interesting..Really!

I wasn't sure that after all the complaints that have landed on my plate, that I should dump this on you...I will only announce this on this Site...Promise. But come January Pentax are going to drop a very beautiful yet potent bomb on the DSL industry. Yes HOYA are definately behind Pentax and no I am not speculating. I should say "several bombs"..Oh, and I will be speaking at the press conference in Paris for the event...

Last edited by benjikan; 10-11-2007 at 04:45 PM.
10-11-2007, 04:26 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Ben,
Thanks for providing glimpses of your knowledge; I am guardedly optimistic. I am heartened to learn of your impression that Hoya is behind the Pentax brand!
Of course, I also feel like a fish that is being slowly reeled in.
I do not suppose you can share what the October surprise was supposed to be?:ugh:
10-11-2007, 04:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wethphotography Quote
Ben,
Thanks for providing glimpses of your knowledge; I am guardedly optimistic. I am heartened to learn of your impression that Hoya is behind the Pentax brand!
Of course, I also feel like a fish that is being slowly reeled in.
I do not suppose you can share what the October surprise was supposed to be?:ugh:
The surprise was that what I expected didn't happen...
10-11-2007, 04:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Why?

If Pentax has this whole formidable arsenal waiting to unleash on the world...

then, why, for ***** sake, don't they announce them officially?

Is Pentax not aware that marketing by innuendo and rumour has proven not only ineffective but also irritating and frustrating?

10-11-2007, 04:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I hope you are correct!!!! (This time)

Last edited by jeffkrol; 10-12-2007 at 06:21 AM.
10-11-2007, 04:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
I hope you are correct!!!! (This time)

I AM
10-11-2007, 04:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I generally do not participate in discussions on the "Future of Pentax", but I must say, that some comments on the possible "negative" outcome made me kinda sad...

Pentax established their name not by providing electronic toys, gadgets, etc, it was and is a truly great photographic equipment. I can only hope that new, innovative and very competitive products will continue to be developed!

Not long ago, I picked second hand lens from a local camera store, I did bring K10D to the store to try the lens first, and the owner's words were "Honestly, this is the first time I see/hold a Pentax DSLR, I knew they exist, but we don't sell or carry their equipment, but it looks and feels great..." - sad? Yes, sad indeed!

Regards,
D

10-11-2007, 04:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Well I really do hope this comes to fruition. I like Pentax and I need a back up body soon so I can start shooting some weddings and other gigs. Hoping just for a couple of improvements over the 10D.
10-11-2007, 04:52 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ben - your first post on this thread was really nice to read, but damn it was hard to read! My retinas need time to recover!

Fantastic news, this statement from you, plus what Chris has said elsewhere has definitely helped my decision to wait a bit longer, as long as they are here by winter.
10-11-2007, 04:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

more interesting news, and some facts

I understand some people's frustration...

Heck, I was frustrated just trying to find some FA* lenses - Tom you know what that is all about! Remember: Hoya is a huge supplier of lens blanks for many companies, including the "big two". That merger only spells major positives, especially for Pentax. Think about it - Hoya can now give Pentax their lens blanks at cost... because they own Pentax...

I cannot disclose other positives in the Pentax camp - I'm aware of what's coming up, but only in the general specs dept.

This I do know for certain: some of the deficiencies will be addressed - especially in the lens department. Granted, not everyone can afford a 400/2.8 or longer, but it's coming!! No I didn't say they're releasing that lens - but the lens selection improvement is coming. You read it here first: come January that news should be released.

Guys, you know I don't believe in conjecture/rumors, etc., but what I said in the previous paragraph is first hand from Pentax USA. I know this, but I am bound to a non-disclosure agreement with Pentax USA... stay the course, and you'll see the rewards of waiting.

Regards,
Marc
10-11-2007, 04:59 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Goodie - we have a thirder for the motion. All those in favour say aye.... AYE. Motion carried.

So Jan will be the announcement or the release of not to be disclosed hardware? Are we allowed to know that?
10-11-2007, 05:19 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Cool... ok so finally I am convinced. After all, I would never predict something with this much certainty in BIG RED TEXT if it wasn't going to happen (for fear of angry mobs of Pentaxians)
10-11-2007, 05:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Oh what I wouldn't do for a 400 f/2.8 (AF) or a 500 f/4 so you're saying that birders will be happy too...I love shooting birds....
10-11-2007, 05:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

sounds like good news to me
thanks for sharing ben.
10-11-2007, 05:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Ben is right as I have personally spoken with the President of US Sales today and our regional sales manager and have confirmed what Ben is talking about without me knowing Ben said anything.

To answer everyones questions why they can't say anything now and the big delays is because Hoya is backing Pentax Imaging with tons of R&D money and now have the means to make something better than they expected period. The new lenses on the road map went back to the drawing board since Pentax can now afford to step things up in terms of glass blanks and processing. So anyone with worries about Pentax/Hoya should know that Pentax is going to get what they need to do what they want and it will be here soon, but how soon none of us can say.

October 13th - 15th Pentax will bring back the rebates, but substantially better rebates then we were expecting.

Thats all I can legally say until PMA so be prepared for some fun an exciting products backed by the big money that Hoya is...

I wish Pentax was a US traded stock, I really do.