Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2007, 06:37 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K10D most popular DSLR in Japan

According to DSLR Photography The Pentax K10D is the tenth most popular camera by sales in Japan right now. Above it is no Canon EOS 400D or Nikon DX40... No, it's only compacts. Which makes the K10D the most popular DSRL in Japan right now. Even if Canon and Nikon will regain momentum this is really good for users of Pentax cameras

Check it out:
DSLR Photography » Pentax Camera

Thanks to Anastigmat on dpreview for posting this.

05-31-2007, 09:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks for info
06-11-2007, 04:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, that's pretty cool.

I've started to see more Pentax dSLRs on tourists lately. Just this last weekend, I saw two people carrying K100D/K110Ds around in Chicago. The weekend before, I spotted a woman in San Francisco with a K1x0D also. That's not too bad considering that I don't see too many people carrying around a dSLR.
06-20-2007, 05:54 AM   #4

And it's more than just the K10D, the K100D is selling very well too ...

QuoteOriginally posted by igowerf Quote
Wow, that's pretty cool.

I've started to see more Pentax dSLRs on tourists lately. Just this last weekend, I saw two people carrying K100D/K110Ds around in Chicago. The weekend before, I spotted a woman in San Francisco with a K1x0D also. That's not too bad considering that I don't see too many people carrying around a dSLR.
The K10D is now #6 on that list, still the only dSLR.

Another thing to note is that Canon or Nikon cronies can't just claim, "oh, Pentax only offers one, newer dSLR and we have 2-3."
The K100D (and K110D) are also out, and many, many people are buying those -- including myself, I have the K100D (my first ever SLR, period).

The average Japanese consumer tends to be more affluent in technology, or at least less allergic to cost, than the average American consumer.
So I wouldn't be surprised if the best selling Pentax model in the US is the more entry-level K100D, especially with the current rebate offers.
I.e., I got the K100D plus DA 50-200mm (which completes a good, total zoom range with the DA 18-55mm) for around $500 after that $150 combo rebate.

After all, I was going to drop $400+ on a "bridge" or "near-dSLR" superzoom "Point'n Shoot" until I realized the obviousness of the truth.
I still wouldn't have any better image quality, I still wouldn't be able to ripple off multiple-fps, etc... and I was far better off putting the money towards a dSLR.
The Pentax K100D -- especially with the DA 50-200mm $150 rebate offer (making the lens well under $100 additional) -- sold me completely.

I don't think I'm the only American out there who realized this either.

06-20-2007, 06:15 AM   #5

Original Poster
Bjsmith:

You make a bit jealous, the european prices are quite a bit higher. I won't tell you what I gave for the K100D here, but it was priced comparitivly to the Digital Rebel 350D, or slighly less actually.

Anyway, to sweep away there figueres by saying that the Canikons have more models out don't make much sense. This is still no short of a succes for Pentax.
06-20-2007, 06:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bjsmith Quote
The K10D is now #6 on that list, still the only dSLR.

Another thing to note is that Canon or Nikon cronies can't just claim, "oh, Pentax only offers one, newer dSLR and we have 2-3."
The K100D (and K110D) are also out, and many, many people are buying those -- including myself, I have the K100D (my first ever SLR, period).

The average Japanese consumer tends to be more affluent in technology, or at least less allergic to cost, than the average American consumer.
So I wouldn't be surprised if the best selling Pentax model in the US is the more entry-level K100D, especially with the current rebate offers.
I.e., I got the K100D plus DA 50-200mm (which completes a good, total zoom range with the DA 18-55mm) for around $500 after that $150 combo rebate.

After all, I was going to drop $400+ on a "bridge" or "near-dSLR" superzoom "Point'n Shoot" until I realized the obviousness of the truth.
I still wouldn't have any better image quality, I still wouldn't be able to ripple off multiple-fps, etc... and I was far better off putting the money towards a dSLR.
The Pentax K100D -- especially with the DA 50-200mm $150 rebate offer (making the lens well under $100 additional) -- sold me completely.

I don't think I'm the only American out there who realized this either.
That's a damn good price to pay for your kit. Here in the Philippines (where a Pentax manufacturing factory is located), we never even get any rebates, and pricing is always at near full MSRP. That, and availability is always spotty.

But that's not a knock on Pentax. It's more a function of the local distributor (Sanly) having not much market sense whatsoever.

Thank God for reputable online stores!
06-21-2007, 10:56 AM   #7

Yeah, well remember -- it's those cheap prices in the US (and the lack of American consumer care beyond initial cost) that is a good reason why our dollar is getting into serious trouble. But I won't go there. I.e., very soon, prices in the US aren't going to be any less cheap -- from energy to products.