Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-28-2010, 09:36 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
firmware update

Mine only took a couple of minutes to complete the whole process.

QuoteOriginally posted by Vote4Pedro Quote
How long did the update take once it started? Mine's been on "Phase 1 / 2" for about an hour now.

07-28-2010, 09:38 AM   #17
Veteran Member

How long did the update take once it started? Mine's been on "Phase 1 / 2" for about an hour now.
That is *not* good news. The update should not take more than 2-3 minutes.

Unfortunately, at this point I believe you have no other choice but turn off your camera and hope is still turns on afterwards (or you can wait until the battery depletes itself, which will mean the same end result...)

Maybe the firmware file got corrupted at some point. Before upgrading, I always double-check that the file has the same size and checksum after I have copied it to the card.
07-28-2010, 09:39 AM   #18
Veteran Member

nice surprise

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
Press "Info" twice for a nice surprise
I ran into this after updating to see what all was different. At the time I guess I didn't move the camera around but it is pretty cool....
07-28-2010, 09:58 AM   #19
Banned

It's great. Some nice improvements. I love to play with the level-on-the-screen display. It's like a new toy that we got as a present from the 645D. AF seems faster in my opinion.

My guess is that the K-7 stays in the Pentax dslr lineup for sme time to come with these improvements.

07-28-2010, 10:15 AM   #20

What does one do with the " level on screen " after pushing 3 times info after starting up. You see a airplane level like screen with leveler but what to do with this one ? (just to show Nikon that WE can do this style of leveler too ?)
07-28-2010, 11:02 AM   #21
Forum Member

Turns out the update froze on me. Pentax customer service said to turn it off. Now it won't turn on. They said "send it in." Bummer . I followed the instructions too, so not sure what caused this.
07-28-2010, 11:03 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by bjan Quote
What does one do with the " level on screen " after pushing 3 times info after starting up. You see a airplane level like screen with leveler but what to do with this one ? (just to show Nikon that WE can do this style of leveler too ?)
Levelling camera which is in tripod? you dont have to look close the tiny one

07-28-2010, 11:44 AM   #23

Seems you guys are right about the AF speed:

"Two changes have been made to live view autofocusing in the K-7 v1.10 update. It is now possible to perform live view autofocus operations by half-pressing the shutter button, and speed of the contrast detection autofocus operation has been quite noticeably improved."

NEWS! - Digital Cameras, Digital Imaging, Digital Photography, Digital Scanners
07-28-2010, 02:24 PM   #24
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by bjan Quote
You see a airplane level like screen with leveler but what to do with this one ?
Just like when we where kids, you let it fly all day
07-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #25
Veteran Member

This is amazing, thank you Pentax and naturally..."how about better IQ in the higher ISO range?" *someone's gotta ask*
07-28-2010, 02:47 PM   #26

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was going to move to Canon 5d, but things didn't work out so I'm keeping my k-7.. and this firmware update made me so glad
07-28-2010, 03:32 PM   #27
Veteran Member

glad for the update, but they STILL havent fixed the top LCD illumination to work like the K20D.

it still lights up after *every single* automated exposure as opposed to only after I, ostensibly the owner and controller of the camera, press the EV button of my own will. not very discreet therefore i'm forced to have it off at all times and erase a feature off the feature list from this semi-pro camera.

Pentax PLEASE FIX THIS (or give us a dedicated button on the next body like with the 645D)

thank you.
07-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Please someone tell me that this is a safe download because I am seeing some problems with some users here, on this thread, after the updating.
JP
07-28-2010, 05:36 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Please someone tell me that this is a safe download because I am seeing some problems with some users here, on this thread, after the updating.
JP
I had no problem at all updating. As I wrote earlier, double-check that the file was copied correctly to the SD card before you actually update. At the very least, make sure the file size is the same as the one in the downloaded archive. Even better if you have access to a checksum program (I use md5sum on Linux).
07-28-2010, 05:41 PM   #30
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
I had no problem at all updating. As I wrote earlier, double-check that the file was copied correctly to the SD card before you actually update. At the very least, make sure the file size is the same as the one in the downloaded archive. Even better if you have access to a checksum program (I use md5sum on Linux).
+1
Past experiences have shown that:
- the battery must be fully-charged (Pentax instructions are very clear about it)
- reformat the card,
- and install the firmware file in the top directory of the card.

Pentax instructions are again avery clear: "After formatting the SD/SDHC card, copy the fwdc204b.bin file to the route directory of the SD/SDHC card".

Insert the SD card in the camera switched off. Then "turn the camera power on while pressing the MENU button".

The firmware installation took me bout 90-100 s.

Last edited by hcc; 07-28-2010 at 06:00 PM.