Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2010, 08:21 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
More K-r Specs

We have received the following information regarding the K-r:

QuoteQuote:
...there is a cool, unique feature about the K-r that will help really differentiate it from the K-x; it will natively accept a lithium-ion battery but with an insert will also accommodate AA batteries. No grip will be required and a query of available grip to the Pentax rep was met with complete silence...

The other feature you can add to your list for the K-r is viewfinder illuminated focusing points and some other welcome information.
So, from this, we can take that the K-r will have the following:
  • Native rechargeable battery support as well as optional insert for AA batteries
  • Focusing points in viewfinder

09-05-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks Adam! Looks like the K-r will be a good upgrade to the K-x.
09-05-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
Forum Member

interested to know how much the kx price is going to drop once this hits- $50? $80? that would make the kx a great bargain too.
09-05-2010, 08:52 PM   #4
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

So, from this, we can take that the K-r will have the following:
  • Native rechargeable battery support as well as optional insert for AA batteries
Already known info.

09-05-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like a sold versatile camera body so far.

I'm surprised this is now going to be entry level for Pentax. That price seems a bit steep (with or without a kit lens?), but I guess Pentax isn't interested in the super low end cheap brick & mortar retail consumer DSLR market. I'd personally go with a (second) K-7 at that price unless the k-m has WR.

That being said, I'm pretty curious if Pentax does come out with two higher-end bodies soon. The leaked K-5 specs seem a bit unimpressive and I don't see much room for a K-7 Super between the K-r and K-5. Assuming the leaked specs for the K-5 are wrong in a good way, I'd be quite interested.
09-05-2010, 09:21 PM   #6
TAP
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
Sounds like a sold versatile camera body so far.

I'm surprised this is now going to be entry level for Pentax. That price seems a bit steep (with or without a kit lens?), but I guess Pentax isn't interested in the super low end cheap brick & mortar retail consumer DSLR market. I'd personally go with a (second) K-7 at that price unless the k-m has WR.

That being said, I'm pretty curious if Pentax does come out with two higher-end bodies soon. The leaked K-5 specs seem a bit unimpressive and I don't see much room for a K-7 Super between the K-r and K-5. Assuming the leaked specs for the K-5 are wrong in a good way, I'd be quite interested.
Again, there will be no k-7 Super..
09-05-2010, 09:25 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That's a great news, I was considering K-x but hated the AA batteries,
so no more excuses

Anything new about K-5?

09-06-2010, 12:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If we have a Grip, Then its above entry level!!!
I think the K-x will stay there and get cheaper and cheaper. Like the Nikon D40......That camera lasted many years, which is a LONG TIME in digital.

Pentax could go to a 4 tier 24 month renewal schedule similar to Nikon.
Tier 1 : D40, D40x, D3000, D3100 Ist* DL, K110, K100, K-m/2000, K-x
Tier 2 : D50, D60, D5000 Ist* DS, K200, K-r
Tier 3 : D70, D80, D90, D7000 Ist* D , K10D, K20D, K-7
Tier 4 : D100, D200, D300s K-5 (the first Pentax camera in this category since MZ-S)
Tier 4.5: D700, D2h,
Tier 5 D2x, D3, D3x,

I just wrote this and noticed something.
As Nikon is the Market leader at the moment (really out-gunning Canon in sales growth now), You can notice that the first 4 tiers correspond nearly identically in terms of position. but they are out of sync.
Tier 1, D3100 is about a year younger than the K-x.
Tier 2, K-r is about a year younger than D5000.
Tier 3, The (to be announced) D7000 is over a year younger than the K-7,
Tier 4, The K-5 is way younger than the D300/D300s.

Logically this time next year we will have
Tier 1, K-x replacement is about a year younger than D3100,
Tier 2, D5000 replacement is about a year younger than K-r
Tier 3, K-7 replacement is younger than D7000,
Tier 4, D400 younger than K-5

Could this be a Pentax strategy.
In DPreview Pentax DSLR forum, there is a much larger Nikon presence than Canon. Nikon are seen as the natural upgrade from Pentax.
The systems have a lot in common, and could easily coexist in asynchronous years. which could lead to Pentax growth.
The Pentax strategy did not make much sence until recently.
The K10D got replaced very quickly. The K10D was in competition with the D200, and D80 models. One was better and the other was slightly cheaper with a better badge. The K20D did not change the design and slipped in the market, it was now no competition for the D300 and quickly got undercut by the D90 when it was released a few months later.
If Pentax avoids the direct competition from Nikon then I see a great strategy for growth.
09-06-2010, 01:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Good analysis Steelski
I'm sure that the people at Hoya have analyzed the market/competitors. And has responses to other offerings in the market, including more than a 2 body line up.
09-06-2010, 01:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Well, ever since DS I've been waiting for a camera with AA and pentaprism. At it's pricepoint K-r just might have pentaprism.
09-06-2010, 01:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The K-x will sill be available some time, so the K-x will still be the low cost entry into the world of Pentax. When the K-x finally leaves the market, then Pentax can reduce the price on the K-r and let it be the new low cost entry - and perhaps then Pentax will release a new DSLR above the K-r..
09-06-2010, 01:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
The K-x will sill be available some time, so the K-x will still be the low cost entry into the world of Pentax. When the K-x finally leaves the market, then Pentax can reduce the price on the K-r and let it be the new low cost entry - and perhaps then Pentax will release a new DSLR above the K-r..
I hope they don't do that. It never really works for any other company. Do you think that Pentax will all of a sudden relaunch the camera? New advertising, new markets. I think they would be much better advised to have a camera that has new features at the K-x pricepoint, and leave the K-r to fend for itself. and when the K-r gets old, then that can be replaced, leaving the K-whatever below it. and so the cycle could continue.

relaunches never work, and if we go down that path we are doomed. (well, pentax anyway) They have to be re branded before relaunched. Nikon D60 anyone??? or would you prefer the D40x????
Ist* DL2/DS2????
Arguably a K-x2 is needed, one that competes with the larger screens of the competition and having focus indication points. They could call it the K-x Super. And we would buy that. Its cheap, it fortifies the low end does not take away from the K-r.
09-06-2010, 01:30 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Adam,

If you dont mind me asking, arent you totally and completely burning this persons "cover" posting this?
09-06-2010, 01:33 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
Well, ever since DS I've been waiting for a camera with AA and pentaprism. At it's pricepoint K-r just might have pentaprism.
Same line of thought here. Although in this age of EVIL and articulating LCDs, I think the OVF priority is going southwards.
09-06-2010, 01:48 AM   #15
Veteran Member

The K-r looks to right the few wrongs that plagued the K-x, and gradually improves everywhere else. The cheap primes also looks like a winner, can't wait till the 9th!

QuoteOriginally posted by ilya80 Quote
Adam,

If you dont mind me asking, arent you totally and completely burning this persons "cover" posting this?
I was thinking the exact same