Pentax Q in the Flesh

Digital Cameras and Accessories - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

06-22-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
highlights

World's Smallest and Lightest Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera
The Q represents an evolution in interchangeable lens digital camera design, featuring the world’s smallest and lightest body. Experience the PENTAX Q. The Camera. Evolved.

Q-Mount Lens System
The Q features the newly designed PENTAX Q-mount lens system for convenient interchangeability with a variety of specialty Q lenses. Choose from a selection of prime, zoom, fisheye lenses, and more to suit just about any photographic need.

12.4 Megapixels
Enjoy exceptional image quality in 12.4 megapixels courtesy of the Q’s 1/2.3 inch backlit CMOS image sensor. Capable of producing 12 bit DNG RAW and JPG images, the backlit CMOS sensor is a highly efficient light-gathering instrument designed specifically to produce very low noise at high levels of sensitivity.

Durable
Though extremely compact, the Q is also surprisingly durable, sporting lightweight, scratch resistant magnesium alloy covers.

Traditional DSLR Shooting Modes
Experienced photographers will enjoy the power and flexibility of traditional DSLR shooting modes such as Program, Aperture/Shutter Priority, and Metered Manual exposure control. Yet casual shooters will appreciate the highly convenient automatic modes such as the set-it-and-forget-it PENTAX Auto Picture and 21 scene modes.

Customizable Quick Dial
Conveniently choose from a variety of creative modes, Smart Effect options, or camera settings to assign to the Q’s Quick Dial located on the front of the camera. Easily customize the setting or effect using the Quick Dial’s 4 positions, allowing you to concentrate on photography without having to explore the camera’s menu system.

HDR Capture
In-camera HDR capture mode shoots 3 images of varying exposures, blending them to bring out the details in even the darkest shadows and brightest highlights of extreme contrast shots.

1080p HD Video
Shoot high quality motion video with stunning full 1080p HD clarity at 30 frames per second. The Q efficiently processes the full HD video using high quality h.264 compression for superior color and detail. Explore creative video effects through the use of custom image modes, digital video filters, and interval shooting; or select from a variety of Q lenses to realize your perfect artistic vision.

Sensor-Shift Shake Reduction
Capture stabilized, blur and dust free images even in low lighting courtesy of the Q’s sensor-shift Shake Reduction system with integrated DRII Dust Reduction. Body-based Shake Reduction operates independently of the Q’s lenses, allowing the same level of stabilization regardless of lens selection.

3 Inch LCD Monitor
Easily capture or review images and video using the Q’s large 3 inch LCD monitor. The high quality LCD features HVGA resolution with 460,000 dots, as well as viewing angles up to 170 degrees horizontally and vertically.

5 FPS
Capture even the fastest action with a 5 frames per second continuous shooting mode, ideal for sporting events, children at play, or any fast action situation.

Bokeh Control Filter
Enjoy effortless bokeh control with the Q’s bokeh control filter. Traditionally controlled through a DSLR lens’s aperture, bokeh is the out of focus part of the background that helps to emphasize the subject, drawing the viewer’s eyes to the most important part of the photo. The Q assists the experienced and casual photographer alike by offering a fine degree of extra control over image bokeh via an in-camera filter operation.

Smart Effects Mode
New Smart Effects modes enhance digital photography by applying a series of effects to images to achieve high quality finishing. Brilliant Color, Vintage Color, Warm Fade, Bold Monochrome, and Water Color are just some of the Smart Effects available, which can also be assigned to the Q’s Quick Dial.

USER Modes For Creativity
Powerful USER modes allow the creative photographer to save a series of favorite camera settings, filters, and custom image modes for instant reuse.

1/2000 to 30 Second Shutter Speeds
Shutter speeds range from 1/2000 to 30 seconds, perfect for freezing fast action or capturing long nighttime exposures. Bulb mode adds flexibility for low light photography and motion effects.

Built-In Popup Flash
The Q’s built-in popup flash adds the perfect amount of extra light to an image, while its high extension naturally reduces the redeye effect common to compact cameras. The Q’s flash is effective to 23 feet at 200 ISO, and covers a wide angle 28 degree field of view.

HDMI Port
A built-in micro HDMI port is perfect for outputting high resolution images and video, with sound, to modern HDTVs.

SD, SDHC, and SDXC Memorey Cards
The Q is compatible with the latest generation SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards for ultra-high capacity storage as well as outstanding image file portability.

RAW File Processing
The Q includes SILKYPIX Developer Studio 3 software for powerful and flexible RAW file processing. In-camera RAW image development is also supported.

External Viewfinder Available Separately
Compose images and video either with the Q’s LCD monitor or using a shoe-mounted viewfinder attachment available as an optional accessory. The External Viewfinder O-VF1 makes an excellent accessory to the Q, offering outstanding compositional framing, even in the brightest sunlight where viewing an LCD screen is traditionally a challenge.
06-22-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
Forum Member

Any info from the new lens system?
06-22-2011, 03:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The site is still updating some flash program is not yet functioning. Lens systems i believe will be introduced by Japan. For now the highlights. In case the site will be down again.

06-22-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks for posting, but I can't tell you how depressed I get when I read that official "highlight" list.
06-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder if this is the same 12MP 1/2.3 backlit CMOS that Sony uses in the WX5 and TX9.
06-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Thanks for posting, but I can't tell you how depressed I get when I read that official "highlight" list.
I know. We are all hoping for APS-C. But it seems they explored and study how Panasonic LX3-LX5 & OlyXZ-1 Cameras produced quality photos but fixed lens. This caters for high end compact with a bonus of Interchangeable lens.

06-22-2011, 04:03 PM   #8
Forum Member

I'm very surprised about the layout, rumours spoiled it many months ago.
For what concerns the camera, I think it is a way for Pentax to gain Market share where no big competitors are present. I don't think the q-White is appealing to current dslr users...
06-22-2011, 04:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Yeah, I'm not sure what to think. The 1080 video and 5 FPS is pretty good, but the sensor is just what makes me wonder...

Then again, talk about a small camera with interchangeable lenses! Wow. I'm just not sure if I'd ever have use for one of these. I mean, how good could the high ISO really be? I'm sure it'd be nowhere near my K-5 and that's something I really pretty much have to have.

Hmm...

I want to see some new lenses for us DSLR users. Pentax, please don't neglect us!
06-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Pentax is obviously using their "first-in-the-market" tactics with this one.
06-22-2011, 04:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

This camera is going to be the laughing stock of photography podcasts and blogs. Hopefully for Pentax's sake consumers will buy it by the ship load, but I just can't see the point... at all.

The problem with the S90/S95/G12/LX5 type cameras is not the lens, it's the sensor size. Sony gets it. Olympus gets it. Panasonic gets it. Even Samsung gets it.
06-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

A whole new outlet for your LBA. Start watching eBay for CCTV lenses, because you know there will be an adapter. :-)
06-22-2011, 04:18 PM   #13
Veteran Member

....and the link has been taken down already, just as I was going to take a grab of that pic where it shows the front on view of the camera with the lens off.
06-22-2011, 04:19 PM   #14
Pentaxian

As far as design and features, it's Fuji X100 for the win! (No contest... so sad)

And a f/1.9 lens? On that sensor, that's the FOV and DOF equivalent to a 43mm w/ a max aperture of f/5.6!

Last edited by panoguy; 06-22-2011 at 04:27 PM.
06-22-2011, 04:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here is the Pic

Prnt Scrn wonder
Attached Images