Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-09-2011, 05:15 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Various adapters for Pentax Q

Google „P„u„‚„u„r„€„t„‰„y„{

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20110909_476402.html

"NF-PTX / Q" (for Nikon F), "M42-PTX / Q" (for M42), "LR-PTX / Q" (Leica R), "OM-PTX / Q" (for Olympus OM), "CFD-PTX / Q" (Canon FD), "PK-PTX / Q" (for Pentax K), for "C-PTX / Q "(for C-mount)," D-PTX / Q "(for D-mount).

D mount is for 8mm cine cameras - it seems to me.
http://www.bolexcollector.com/lenses/40wollensak.html

09-09-2011, 06:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Interesting. That was quick. Although there is nothing on eBay yet

I hope Pentax made the specifications for the Q mount open and available free of any license terms, like Sony has for the E mount.
09-09-2011, 06:13 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Yes, very interesting. Wonder, if there will someday be a T2 adapter too?

I figure that the Q with its small sensor and small pixels might be of interest for high resolution lunar and planetary photography - possibly also microscope photography - where the T2 mount remains more or less standard.
09-09-2011, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #4

Photos: Gallery
Hi,

Yes, D-mount is the most common 8mm ciné mount (15.875mm thread, 12.29mm register distance). Anyone with an interest in acquiring some of these lenses for eventual adaptation to a "Q" would be well advised to start right now; my working assumption is that the usual eBay dealer "suspects" are already scouring the listings, hoping to corner the market. That was their M.O. with respect to high-quality 16mm ciné lenses, when the C-to-m4/3 format adapters started to appear, and I would expect history to repeat itself.

One note of caution, for anyone brave enough to embark on such an enterprise: while the 16mm C-mount is a more-or-less settled, stable standard, things get a little more complicated when you get into the world of 8mm. For example, the excellent Kern lenses fitted to Bolex H8 cameras (8mm format) actually use the physical C-mount thread; but the register distance is shorter than that of the "true" 16mm C-mount format. And there's also the CS-mount format - often encountered in surveillance camera applications - which uses the C-mount thread as well, but with a still shorter register distance.

Since the H8 Kerns are, by all odds, the most desirable of the 8mm-format lenses, it may well be - if the Q system is successful - that some clever entrepreneur will offer Q adapters made specifically for them: C-mount thread but H8 register. CS-mount adapters would be a possibility as well. I can even imagine a single adapter with switchable flanges to suit all three of the C-mount thread systems; there exist adapters for C-mount lenses, for instance, that come with optional flanges for Robot lenses.

One thing's for sure: the early pioneers who decide to venture into this uncharted territory will have some interesting experiences, both good and bad, with respect to things like vignetting, sensor coverage and physical incompatibilities. That was certainly the case with the first users of C-mount lenses on m4/3 bodies - still is, to be perfectly honest.

Cheers,

Jon

PS As for T2 (any T-mount) lenses: if there's an M42 or Nikon adapter, couldn't you simply use a common M42 or Nikon T-adapter for any T-mount lens you wanted to try?

09-09-2011, 07:39 AM   #5
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
Yes, very interesting. Wonder, if there will someday be a T2 adapter too?

I figure that the Q with its small sensor and small pixels might be of interest for high resolution lunar and planetary photography - possibly also microscope photography - where the T2 mount remains more or less standard.
The most interesting is for C-mount.
09-09-2011, 09:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What is the crop factor for the Q though? You might turn a 28mm Distagon into a 112mm perspective.
09-09-2011, 09:48 AM   #7
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
What is the crop factor for the Q though? You might turn a 28mm Distagon into a 112mm perspective.
crop-factor 5.6

09-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The most interesting is for C-mount.
Unclear. C is for video and Q needs rather large resolving power...
There may be some good C lenses. May be.
The good thing is that C lenses for 1/2" do exist. But they never needed to resolve better than 3MP. But some may do...

If C mount lenses would be a good match for the Q then I wonder why Pentax didn't launch the Q with a C mount adapter in the first place. Pentax has a large collection of C and CS lenses.

Last edited by falconeye; 09-09-2011 at 04:25 PM.
09-09-2011, 09:25 PM   #9
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Unclear. C is for video and Q needs rather large resolving power...
There may be some good C lenses. May be.
The good thing is that C lenses for 1/2" do exist. But they never needed to resolve better than 3MP. But some may do...

If C mount lenses would be a good match for the Q then I wonder why Pentax didn't launch the Q with a C mount adapter in the first place. Pentax has a large collection of C and CS lenses.
m4/3 users use C-mount lenses and results are not bad.
09-10-2011, 01:09 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
m4/3 users use C-mount lenses and results are not bad.
I've seen this. But m4/3 pixels are much larger than Q's ...
09-10-2011, 05:27 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Vignetting wouldn't be a problem with C-mount lenses on a Q, whereas it is on the larger 4/3 sensor.
09-10-2011, 06:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Vignetting wouldn't be a problem with C-mount lenses on a Q, whereas it is on the larger 4/3 sensor.
That's the obvious part. I talked about resolution though

But seeing that some of the C mount lenses cost $1000+, good enough C mount lenses should exist.

E.g., the Schneider-Kreuznach 1" (fits µFT) C-mount XN 25mm f/0.95 ($1200 at B&H)

There, I see other interesting stuff: Motorized CCTV zoom from Canon (probably not sharp enough) or 15-600mm zoom from Angenieux for a whooping $46.000.

Last edited by falconeye; 09-10-2011 at 06:34 AM.
09-11-2011, 11:52 AM   #13

heh 84-3360mm... take that Bigma ,... even for 46k, this has to be the longest superzoom ever devised.
09-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Assuming the adapters eventually make their way to the USA, it peaks my interest in the Q a bit. I actually wrote a blog article about it a few days ago stating my interest in seeing a c-mount adapter for the Q. The Q seems like it would be a nice little video camera with those C-mount lenses. Add the telephoto capabilities with a K-mount adapter and the Q seems like a fun experimental camera on paper (before seeing what the results would be like). Does the Q have anything like that new "peeking" feature that's popular for manual focus?

Last edited by sjwaldron; 09-11-2011 at 02:03 PM.
09-13-2011, 01:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
Does the Q have anything like that new "peeking" feature that's popular for manual focus?
Nope, no focus peaking. Also, I can't find any way to activate the focus magnification other than turning the focus ring of the Q mount lens. This could be limiting when using an adapted lens.

EDIT: I found out the OK button will activate the focus magnification when there is no lens attached.

Last edited by devorama; 09-14-2011 at 03:13 PM.