Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2008, 09:03 AM   #1

Pentax Full Frame possibility

A200: Sony SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

"the parallel rumour from Japan - that the A900 uses a 14.8 megapixel full fame sensor with in-camera Sony developed interpolation to 28 megapixels - becomes more plausible than the rival 18 megapixel supposition."

In the thread above, there is a rumor of a 14.8mp Sony full frame sensor being used for the Sony flagship A900. Curiously the pixel count is similar to some rumors of the supposed 14mp sensor for the K20D. Could this full frame 14.8 mp sensor be found in a future Pentax DSLR, to be announced perhaps at or around Photokina 2008, instead of the K20D?

01-05-2008, 09:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hasn't this been discussed to death already?
No, I don't think there is any FF camera in the foreseeable future. When the A900's price is announced, you'd probably know why.

And this 28M interpolation is just silly if it turns out to be true. What's the point? Just bragging rights, I suppose.
01-05-2008, 01:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, Pentax being dedicated to sink themselves, they are going to introduce a full frame DSLR with absolutely no lenses to support it.

Being recently succesfull with APS-C DSLRS, they decided that it would be better to go full frame imediatly to avoid making too much money in the APS-C business which, as everyone knows, could corrupt the Pentax Spirit.

Farewell Pentax, you were one of a kind....
01-05-2008, 06:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

There is a very simple way to determine when (or if) Pentax will introduce a full frame body. About 2-3 years after you start to see new full frame lenses on the road map. That should be enough time to bring the lenses to market about the time the body is ready.

It would be suicide for Pentax to introduce a body with no new lenses.

01-06-2008, 06:49 AM   #5
Busiko

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
Yes, Pentax being dedicated to sink themselves, they are going to introduce a full frame DSLR with absolutely no lenses to support it.

Being recently succesfull with APS-C DSLRS, they decided that it would be better to go full frame imediatly to avoid making too much money in the APS-C business which, as everyone knows, could corrupt the Pentax Spirit.

Farewell Pentax, you were one of a kind....
It is not a healthy marketing strategy to announce lenses for a FF body before this one is announced. Just wait.
01-06-2008, 11:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Busiko Quote
It is not a healthy marketing strategy to announce lenses for a FF body before this one is announced. Just wait.
The KxxD is should be available around spring, are you saying that Pentax would be able to get a whole new range of FF lenses by this time?

Or are you talking about an ulterior FF model (in 2010 or so)?

I don't believe pentax can go FF in 2008 or even 2009 for a minute.

But maybe I am man of little faith...
01-06-2008, 01:14 PM   #7
Forum Member

When I buy new lenses for my camera, then I buy always (if possible) old FF-lenses of Pentax. I guess when Pentax brings an new FF-camera, that it will then refresh the old lens designs to bring it on the market again. I do not see a problem with the FF-lenses. And maybe it is now a waist of money to buy non-FF lenses... the future let us see it.

01-06-2008, 01:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AnoLife Quote
When I buy new lenses for my camera, then I buy always (if possible) old FF-lenses of Pentax. I guess when Pentax brings an new FF-camera, that it will then refresh the old lens designs to bring it on the market again. I do not see a problem with the FF-lenses. And maybe it is now a waist of money to buy non-FF lenses... the future let us see it.
Well, I guess buying old FF lenses to use them on current APS-C DSLR is OK, as long as you don't need wide angle or affordable f2.8 zooms...

As for just needing to refresh the designs, that's one thing, but then you have to re-build the complete industrial production facilities, and that's another matter.

As for wasting money buying non-FF lenses... my definition of wasting money is to "invest" in FF lenses because they "might" work on an "hypothetical" FF camera still to be defined in an unforeseenable future instead of buying lenses for available cameras and take real pictures with them.

When it comes to gear, my approach is to buy what's available, within my budget, and suits my needs. All these ramblings about FF cameras are nice but it seems silly to just keep waiting for the Arlésienne to come instead of using what's already here. As for FF being the "best" format, it's about as exact as saying that 24x36 was the best format in film days...

An other option is to go FF right now and fork out the €6000-12000 needed for a complete FF system from Canon or Nikon... thanks but ... no thanks!
01-07-2008, 04:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Fudge. Replied in the wrong forum. Sorry 'bout that. :\

Last edited by ftpaddict; 01-07-2008 at 04:54 AM. Reason: I am an idiot
01-07-2008, 06:03 AM   #10
wll
Veteran Member

Just what I want

a big heavy camera and huge lenses to go with it ......

35mm and Digi are totally different and with advancements in tech, there is no need for a 35mm sized sensor, unless you really, really need it .... and in that case go with a 645 :-)

wll
01-07-2008, 06:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
a big heavy camera and huge lenses to go with it ......

35mm and Digi are totally different and with advancements in tech, there is no need for a 35mm sized sensor, unless you really, really need it .... and in that case go with a 645 :-)

wll
Or a 39MP Hassie. *drool...*
01-07-2008, 01:59 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
Or a 39MP Hassie. *drool...*
*drool...*

then heave a huge < sigh >
01-07-2008, 04:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
Well, I guess buying old FF lenses to use them on current APS-C DSLR is OK, as long as you don't need wide angle or affordable f2.8 zooms...

As for just needing to refresh the designs, that's one thing, but then you have to re-build the complete industrial production facilities, and that's another matter.

As for wasting money buying non-FF lenses... my definition of wasting money is to "invest" in FF lenses because they "might" work on an "hypothetical" FF camera still to be defined in an unforeseenable future instead of buying lenses for available cameras and take real pictures with them.

When it comes to gear, my approach is to buy what's available, within my budget, and suits my needs. All these ramblings about FF cameras are nice but it seems silly to just keep waiting for the Arlésienne to come instead of using what's already here. As for FF being the "best" format, it's about as exact as saying that 24x36 was the best format in film days...

An other option is to go FF right now and fork out the €6000-12000 needed for a complete FF system from Canon or Nikon... thanks but ... no thanks!
Well, in any case, people have reported that the DA* lenses at least can cover the 135 format in full. That's two currently available lenses for a possible shift to FF. I'm guessing Pentax keeps the upcoming future lenses to also be able to cover the 135 format, just in case.
01-07-2008, 04:33 PM   #14

with current pentax having full backward compatibility with their lens, i wouldn't be surprise if a FF body is in the work, as there is a relationship between sensor size and noise. It may even be a significant strategic advantage over Sony & Oly. I'm quite happy with the K10, the next quantum leap would be something capable of 2-3x noise advantage at high ISO, which could point to FF development.
01-07-2008, 04:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Well, in any case, people have reported that the DA* lenses at least can cover the 135 format in full. That's two currently available lenses for a possible shift to FF. I'm guessing Pentax keeps the upcoming future lenses to also be able to cover the 135 format, just in case.
There you go, then. There is still hope for a full-frame-sensored K1(maybe?)D in the future.