Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2012, 04:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
UK lens price increases

Email from SRS Microsystems

QuoteQuote:
Hi Jez,

Yes there is a price increase in all Pentax lenses and it is across the whole range unfortunately. The prices will go up as soon as we order any new stock at the new prices. hope this helps.

Regards

Matt.
This is really shit.

04-14-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Maybe it is so they can spend more on the advertising side of Pentax.
04-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like time to buy Sigma stuff.
04-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
Sounds like time to buy Sigma stuff.
The problem with that is that several makers have stopped doing K mounts and Tamron and Sigma seem to be either slowing their releases or not releasing as many lenses at all in K mount.

04-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Let's hope they have a plan, and they will do something good with the new money (marketing, B&M presence, new lenses, including a set of cheap ones...). But first let's hope the new prices are going to translate into more money for Pentax...
04-14-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
Zav
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The problem with that is that several makers have stopped doing K mounts and Tamron and Sigma seem to be either slowing their releases or not releasing as many lenses at all in K mount.
There was a private joke for the UK residents behind my post. SRS is known for offering Sigma lenses at (usually) a very good price.
04-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Phew - - - - - am I glad that I got their (SRS') second last (according to their eBay ad.) DA 18-135mm WR this week! Well, you may console yourself that UK Pentax prices have so far in many cases been at least some 20% lower than here in DK.

04-14-2012, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

This has made me very sad...

I love pentax.. I love my k5 and what ever pentax glass I managed to get and while I would love to get more there last price increase made that hard for me.

Last time the DA* 50-135 f2.8 went from £550 to over £1000, im not sure what the plans are this time but are they trying to price themselves out of the market?.. with the second hand prices of FF dlsr's coming down in price is it a smart move to make an apcs only system more expensive than it already is?

Last edited by Usuqa; 04-14-2012 at 01:41 PM.
04-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I wonder what is the planned effect of these price increases? If it is short term profit, I'm not sure it's working since many customers will either delay or skip purchases. If it is to increase the prestige of the brand, do they really think the quality is good enough to be Leica's small brother? AFAIK, the strength of Pentax has always been the bang for buck. I'd really like to hear what the big shots are planning.
04-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Here it comes for the rest of Europe ...

Bonjour,

Unfortunately it will probably hit the rest of Europe ASAP, too ...

I saw it coming a mile away ... https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/181323-no-lens-price-i...en-france.html ... a few posted back the increase ony affected the US ... Yeah, right for that point in time ...

I'll let you know if and when the price increases hit France ...

Salut, John le Frog
04-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I don't know what you guys expect, but prices always go up from time to time. The recent price hike may be more for some countries than for others because of the different impact of the economic crisis. Currently you can still buy old stock and find out for yourself if Pentax is asking too much for gear. Since most Pentax lens designs are several years old, you may concentrate on the second hand market as well. In the long run, we can only hope that Pentax deserves the price paid.
All the Pentax lenses I will still want to buy are not available yet or only available as second hand. So I don't worry and actually prices went down for Pentax gear in Switzerland until the new stock arrives. I am almost tempted to buy some lenses for the old price just to try them out and sell them later as like new.
04-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
I don't know what you guys expect
I expect that prices won't (almost) double from one day to the next with no improvement in the lens/warranty/service/etc.
04-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Sigma aren't several makers though, they are just Sigma and are still making K mount lenses. Can't see a problem. I doubt Sigma are going to stop making K Mount versions now that Pentax have raised their prices, in fact if anything it'll only encourage Sigma to make more K mount versions
04-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Sigma aren't several makers though, they are just Sigma and are still making K mount lenses. Can't see a problem. I doubt Sigma are going to stop making K Mount versions now that Pentax have raised their prices, in fact if anything it'll only encourage Sigma to make more K mount versions
Haven't they delayed and deferred bringing out some models in K mount that are already on the market for Nikon and Canon?
04-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well, difficult to know whether they delayed/deferred some models.
Sigma always had only a subset of their range available to Pentax. Nothing new. 10 years ago it was already the case.

They may indeed have delayed some PK designs...