Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery
24 megapixel Full Frame K-11 coming?

I already posted this in the News and Rumors thread about an upcoming FF DSLR. But the people who would believe in such a product probably will be hanging around overhere, so just a separate thread about such a camera. Would we want it? Would it make the K-01 series more serious? This is not about not getting a FF DSLR, but getting a FF mirrorless camera.

Well we all are rumouring about a new Full Frame DSLR coming from Pentax. It will be cheap and small and we all gonna love (or hate) it. Once Pentax starts to buy that Sony sensor Full Frame with 24 megapixel, it is very easy to use it in a second mirrorless camera. To make it different from all other camera's and make it different from Pentax's own full frame dslr they could make it in the form of the K-01. A very capable camera with lots of futures, only different from what a lot of traditional photographers are used to.

True, I just took an K-01 image and shopped the larger sensor in it with the new K-11 name The body probably has to grow just a little bit to make room for the larger sensor with SR-platform. Maybe the smallest form could be 131x85x59 mm, making it a real small camera!

The key specifications of the Pentax K-11 are:

•Sensor: 24.0 Megapixel CMOS (36x24mm)
•ISO Range: 100-25,600
•Autofocus: contrast-detect autofocus (CDAF) system
•Shutter: stepless, 30s-1/4000s rated for 100,000 actuations
•Framerate: 2,5 FPS at maximum resolution for jpg and 1FPS for 12-bit RAW until full card.
•Video: 1080p recording at 30/25/24 FPS, 720p recording at 60/50/30/25/24 FPS, VGA recording at 120/30FPS
•Image processor: single PRIME M
•Media: Single SDXC/SDHC/SD card
•All scenery modes will be available on this K-11.
•Body Color: Yellow, Black or White

The K-11 uses the same "crippled" KAF2 mount that's found on Pentax K-01, meaning it's fully backwards-compatible with manual lenses, but needs to stop-down meter when one is mounted. Focus Peaking-mode will make working with older manual lenses very easy. Whenever DA (APS-C format) lenses are mounted, the camera will automatically switch to a 12-megapixel cropped sensor mode which only utilizes the APS-C image circle.

The K-11 is aimed at the amateur photographer who would like to take the jump toward the large sensor Full Frame format. There are no pro-futures in this camera like fast frame rate, tethering shooting, sync-port for studioflash, extended iso-range, next to single shot mode there is only one continuous mode setting (jpg 2,5 fps (jpg with lenscorrections at 0,7 fps), RAW 1 fps and RAW+jpg at 0,8 fps and RAW+jpg with lenscorrections at 0,4 fps) because the buffer is to narrow to give a more hi-speed shooting and instead of 14-bit RAW the camera is working with a 12-bit RAW mode making files smaller and faster working with the single PRIME M engine. This will likely put its price at 2/3ths of the upcoming Full Frame DSLR from Pentax.

With this new camera a specially designed new kitlens will come. That would be a new 30-60mm/f3.5-4.5 FXs lens that goes back into the mirrorbox, so can not be mounted on dslr and also not on APS-C K-01 camera. Only a 2x zoomlens to make it rather fast and cheap.

Making this a very unique and affordable camera!

06-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Give me some form of viewfinder, I'll instabuy it
06-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Generally speaking the same people that would want the additional expense of a FF camera would also want the advanced amateur / pro feature set of a K5 - so I really wouldn't see the point of a 'crippled' FF camera such as this. Zero Interest for me I'm afraid.
06-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Generally speaking the same people that would want the additional expense of a FF camera would also want the advanced amateur / pro feature set of a K5 - so I really wouldn't see the point of a 'crippled' FF camera such as this. Zero Interest for me I'm afraid.
This is probably true. But then the only real benefit this would have over a K-01 is a bigger sensor, which isn't enough for an upgrade IMHO. I can see the idea of trying to bring FF down to the lowest price possible, but in this case it'd still be too high. The K-01 isn't a particularly cheap camera anyway.

Now, a K-11 with a tiltable screen, mic-input, front dial, weather sealing, improved SD flap and a slew of tiny XS primes that fit inside the mirror box of an APS-C sensor? I'd snap that up far faster than a K-11 with an FF sensor. And I imagine it'd be cheaper to make. No need to redesign to fit the new sensor in and all that.

06-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I could definitely see a market if the camera could accept a viewfinder, even an accessory finder such as on the Voigtlander Bessa T. But, without an eye-level finder of some sort, it is about as useful a serious tool as any of the score of digital p&s cameras out there.

Steve
06-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
Now, a K-11 with a tiltable screen, mic-input, front dial, weather sealing, improved SD flap and a slew of tiny XS primes that fit inside the mirror box of an APS-C sensor? I'd snap that up far faster than a K-11 with an FF sensor. And I imagine it'd be cheaper to make. No need to redesign to fit the new sensor in and all that.
+1

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I could definitely see a market if the camera could accept a viewfinder, even an accessory finder such as on the Voigtlander Bessa T. But, without an eye-level finder of some sort, it is about as useful a serious tool as any of the score of digital p&s cameras out there.
+2

I see such a camera as a range-extender for the Pentax FF effort - spread that technology investment across all kinds of bodies.
06-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
Banned

Maybe Sony would sell Pentax the OLED Electronic Viewfinder with the 24.7mp FF sensor as a combo deal.

06-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Price would be the factor for me and perhaps quite a few ppl considering such a camera, else there is no point to limit oneself to it.
Perhaps no more than the K-01 price +$300 for the sensor difference.
Don't care about OVF/EVF is the price is right.
If it can get the job done at a good price, that's all that's important. (the K-01 to me succeeds in this respect; though many refuse to acknowledge it)

I'd also add, its probably better off with M mount flange distance with a thrown in AF adapter for K-mount (like a AF teleconverter but no lens elements in it of course)
This way, its a full winner product that captures the needs of M-mount and K-mount users.
Sort of like a synergy between GXR M-module and K-mount.
It saves Ricoh from needing GXR and K-01 product lines as well.
06-16-2012, 07:37 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I'd also add, its probably better off with M mount flange distance with a thrown in AF adapter for K-mount (like a AF teleconverter but no lens elements in it of course)
You guys never quit, do you?
06-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
You guys never quit, do you?
Whats wrong with the statement I made to get this response??

I did not suggest a "de-provement"
It takes nothing away from K-mount compatibility while adding lots more potential and enlarges the user base.
Its something that will let a larger group of users buy a Pentax camera or perhaps take more notice of one.
Look at what the 'sensor platform' approach/'lucky' accident did for the NEX which was an unproven new mount/system. (BTW, IMO the NEX system still sucks for its own lenses)
Don't you wish Pentax enjoyed this same level of success and recognition?

At the end, success means Pentax stays around to keep K-mount alive and my lenses relevant.
06-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The entire point is you don't have to use an adapter. Q is their take on an adapter mirrorless.

K-01 is their take on full-sized mirrorless. In useable form (with lens mounted) it is the same size as a Nex5n.

Who would buy a Pentax when there are already so many smaller, thinner, lighter M mount-with-adapter cameras?
06-16-2012, 10:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Expect a GXR PK-FF mountor before a K-11 FF MILC. Better chance of hitting a good price point.
06-16-2012, 10:56 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

If it doesn't come with an 8~1200mm 1:1.2 pancake kit lens I'm not interested.
06-16-2012, 11:02 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The entire point is you don't have to use an adapter. Q is their take on an adapter mirrorless.

K-01 is their take on full-sized mirrorless. In useable form (with lens mounted) it is the same size as a Nex5n.

Who would buy a Pentax when there are already so many smaller, thinner, lighter M mount-with-adapter cameras?

Remember we are talking about 'air ware' FF MILC here (no one has one yet other than M8,M9)
So yeah, plenty would line up for one for all sorts of lenses and purposes if Pentax did do one as suggested by OP.
Not to mention SR, Auto modes with the newer Pentax lenses, good Pentax camera handling and interface.

K-01 is Pentax's take on MILC, true, but it can be better without costing that much more nor inconveniencing its existing user base.
It would substantially grow its user base too.
No, it does not need to change the form factor at all.
I illustrate with a 5min photoshop job.

KM-01 in M-mount mode

KM-01 in PK-mount mode with AF adapter

06-17-2012, 12:08 AM   #15
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is a rumour thread and has no place in the Photograhic Industry subforum. Thread moved, even though another one like this exists there...
Closed Thread