Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2013, 03:03 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Confirms Full-Frame Plans at CP+ Inteview

Just a few hours ago we interviewed Pentax at CP+. This was the first question:

QuoteQuote:
Last time we brought up the full-frame question at the end of our interview, so this time we'd like to start off with it. We're sorry to say that we've lost many enthusiasts over the course of the past few months due to compelling full-frame deals from competitors. Do you have any updates about the Pentax full-frame (for the enthusiast community) since Photokina? Are you able to officially confirm that such a product will be released in the future?
The interview audio is still in the process of being translated, but based on the rough translation that I have received, it seems that Pentax replied by confirming to us that a full-frame is something that the company will be making in the future, and that they already have multiple prototypes in the works. So there you have it: it's no longer a question of if, but rather a question of when. And I think you can guess a reasonable time frame for a latter Stay tuned for a homepage post + video tomorrow with the full details.

Again, this is based on a rough translation. The transcript and video, to be posted tomorrow, will hopefully confirm it for sure.

Update:
The video has now been added. More commentary is here: Pentax Confirms Full-Frame Plans at CP+ - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

The answer isn't quite as definitive as I was originally told it was, but I think it's still fair to say that we have our official confirmation, especially considering the dramatic change in their answer since Photokina. If the head of product planning thinks that FF is a good idea, then IMO that's just good as saying that the camera will be made. Plus, he clearly says that development of the FF is advancing, which you can't really argue with. I wonder what gave him such a change of heart since Photokina?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-03-2013, 03:06 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Thank you Adam!
Very good news
02-03-2013, 03:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Great news!
02-03-2013, 03:15 AM - 4 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

no more beer, no more holiday, no more girlfriends, let's save any penny available for the FF

02-03-2013, 03:16 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yay. Look at all these new Pentax products I can't afford!
02-03-2013, 03:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Great news Pentax!
But too late in my case, Pentax lost me a year ago to Nikon FF.

Last edited by TOUGEFC; 02-03-2013 at 03:23 AM.
02-03-2013, 03:21 AM   #7
Pentaxian

start saving money! But I'll not buy it until it's at least a year old (it will have matured by then and the price will have dropped).

02-03-2013, 03:23 AM - 1 Like   #8

one word...DIVORCE
02-03-2013, 03:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by micktheflash Quote
one word...DIVORCE
agreed !
02-03-2013, 03:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Pentax lost me a year ago to Nikon FF
You will not be able to refrain from putting FA31 on FF Pentax body... be realistic, i switched two years ago but i am realistic... i know there is something addictive in Pentax - call it real love....
02-03-2013, 03:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Earn earn earn... With this great news, I'll be re-accepting wedding coverages once again...
02-03-2013, 03:48 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richard balonglong Quote
Earn earn earn... With this great news, I'll be re-accepting wedding coverages once again...
Might be a bit of work in divorces too by the sound of it
02-03-2013, 03:53 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Ah, great news! I want to use my Pentax F 17-2.8mm F3.5-4.5 fisheye on a digital full-frame. At least most my lenses are full-frame compatible.
02-03-2013, 03:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Ah, great news! I want to use my Pentax F 17-2.8mm F3.5-4.5 fisheye on a digital full-frame.
i'd love to try this lens, but so hard to find, and price are sky high !
02-03-2013, 04:05 AM   #15
Inactive Account

End of the DSLR era was already started and after Pentax lost lotsa potential FF users to other camps, Pentax still will be making an FF DSLR, . Incoming FF better be good, I mean real good like K10 on it's era, or Pentax will loose reputation. Speaking for myself I am waiting for an FF for a long time, FF lens line-up is ready for more than a year but I won't purchase a mediocre FF for sure.