Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
I recall nothing of the sort.

At most the Q had 5.8% of the Japanese mirrorless market share and that having been around almost a year longer than other systems which trounced it in sales.

That is measly. All other brands combined beat Pentax down into last place mirrorless systems cameras.
Too bad your memory seems to be going. It has in fact sold very well in the home market. The Q has sold very well indeed - for a Pentax. I tire of the constant know everything and attack everything approach in the Rumors section and really wish it could be ignored like the old Politics section. Out.

06-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Definitely a 1/1.7" sensor. I just did this comparison - the sensor itself is larger as well as the surrounding support frame being thinner to accomodate it.

06-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #63
Veteran Member

If they want this camera to be successful, I think they need to keep it around $250 or less, with a lens. As fun as the Q is, how many of us would have bought one for the original price? I would never consider a Q10 at it's $499 kit price. Since they offloaded the shutter into the lenses, they also charge a bit too much for new lenses; but that's just my opinion. I also really wish it had ended up being a 2/3" sensor.
06-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #64

What about 1" sensor in Q body + lens with SR as next step?

06-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VladimirYo Quote
I think a 1" sensor would interfere with the contacts for the lenses, but I'm not sure.
06-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #66
Veteran Member

The Q image circle was always slightly larger in diameter than the sensor required to accomodate sensor stabilization movement stayed within the image circle. I've always assumed this has meant they could fit a 1.7" sensor (but nothing larger) whenever they wanted, but would require sacrificing any sensor stabilization. But I see in the image the SR logo on the front of the Q7, so I guess that wasn't the case.
06-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
If they want this camera to be successful, I think they need to keep it around $250 or less, with a lens. As fun as the Q is, how many of us would have bought one for the original price? I would never consider a Q10 at it's $499 kit price. Since they offloaded the shutter into the lenses, they also charge a bit too much for new lenses; but that's just my opinion. I also really wish it had ended up being a 2/3" sensor.
Why would it need to be priced that low? The MX-1 and all other high end P&S cameras cost much more than $250.

06-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #68

Dang! And i just spent a load of cash on a FA*80-200. This will be my next investment for sure. I'm happy the size of the body is the same as before.
06-10-2013, 10:51 AM - 3 Likes   #69
Veteran Member

Here's the thing: Many people just don't understand the Q and become even more confused when they try to apply traditional DSLR kit metrics to it. The Q is far from technically perfect. But it's a blast to use. It's just plain fun - which a hobby is supposed to be. If you have to ask, you won't understand.
06-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Here's the thing: Many people just don't understand the Q and become even more confused when they try to apply traditional DSLR kit metrics to it. The Q is far from technically perfect. But it's a blast to use. It's just plain fun - which a hobby is supposed to be. If you have to ask, you won't understand.
Exactly right. A quick watch of Blunty's review on YouTube tells you exactly that. I love my Q. I sold my J1 to get it, and so happy I did
06-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #71
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
That doesn't make sense as it would render the lenses and probably even the small mount useless.
I didn't expect an APS-C Pentax mirrorless like the NEX-3N to have the same Q lens mount and I imagine there will be some vignetting in the corners with a 1/1.7" sensor in the Q 7 with current Q lenses.

I think a Pentax version of the Sony RX100 with much larger 1" sensor would be in more demand than the new Q 7 IMHO.
06-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VladimirYo Quote
Should have been the first step.
06-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I didn't expect an APS-C Pentax mirrorless like the NEX-3N to have the same Q lens mount and I imagine there will be some vignetting in the corners with a 1/1.7" sensor in the Q 7 with current Q lenses.

I think a Pentax version of the Sony RX100 with much larger 1" sensor would be in more demand than the new Q 7 IMHO.
Still, to do it they would probably need to change all the lenses and even create a new mount to make the new sensor fit. Also the focal flange distance is probably too short to perform well with a larger sensor, see the problems Sony and Leica already got with many wide angle lenses. It doesn't make sense to do this withing the Q system, they would need a new series and support even one more mount or kill the Q-line.
06-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
If they want this camera to be successful, I think they need to keep it around $250 or less, with a lens.
With that sensor, yes. That's the only viable price point. I am seeing Nikon 1's and m43's below $350 with a kit now. The market space above US$250 is being occupied by larger sensor cameras with substantially better IQ.
06-10-2013, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #75
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Should have been the first step.
I wouldn't switch my Q for a Nikon 1, if you rather grab a Nikon 1 then go get it. The Q isn't about killing DSLRs for professional use, it's about fun and it is!