Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2013, 12:19 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Banned

New Camera/s by Christmas

Hi all,

I spoke with a Pentax retailer this afternoon to check on expected delivery of the FA 77 I just ordered (excited about that too...but that's another discussion), and thought I would be cheeky and ask if a Pentax Full Frame was in the works. The summary of our ensuing discussion is as follows:

- More new cameras are going to be released later this year (by Christmas);
- The exact nature of those cameras couldn't be discussed in any detail; but
- When I mentioned that I currently use a K20D & K10D, need an upgrade of both, and am considering the K5ii as my next purchase/s, the advice was "wait until later this year. It could be Christmas before they're here, but I would wait".

The kind staff-member (who stated they have been in the industry for 25 years, but only involved with Pentax for 6 weeks) then explained that Ricoh / Pentax had recently visited to give a briefing on their future plans (including the said releases later this year), and that the briefing was extremely positive / exciting. To paraphrase: "Ricoh are investing a great deal in Pentax, and they are going about it the right way. The plans for the future are exciting".

I check this site to see if there is any concrete news about more releases this year, and to date haven't seen anything particularly convincing, so I just thought this tidbit (albeit lacking in specifics) might be appreciated for other like-minded folk who are eagerly awaiting some news. Please don't label me a rumor-monger or another Ricehigh, I just thought this bit of info (however small) would be appreciated.

07-26-2013, 12:30 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the info.

It is quite obvious they will announce something by the end of September as they (and all other manufacturers) always do. So your info is quite in line with that. I would expect either another advanced APS-C dSLR (since the lower-end ones have been released recently) or FF or the upgrade of the K-01. And those will ship by Christmas most probably. Most probably the APS-C dSLR, as imho there was not enough time for them to polish the FF yet.
07-26-2013, 03:06 AM - 11 Likes   #3
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you God,
for the opulent, endless supply of overhears
and reassuring personal confessions,
messages as bold as victory's spears
of Ricoh sales representatives, heralds of future bright,
conveyed to camera stores sales people,
for their contentment, and to our own delight.
07-26-2013, 03:26 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Thank you God,
Poetry??

07-26-2013, 03:28 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
- More new cameras are going to be released later this year (by Christmas);
This is pretty obvious by now. Norwegian dealer fovi.no (they've been long in the business - used to be the distributor for Norway) even mentions that more cameras are coming this autumn on their K-50/K-500 announcement page.

The most likely is probably a new APS-C model with higher pixel count than the K-5 series, and hopefully with some refined technology as well. I guess we should expect a slightly altered body form factor by now. I wish they could make the new body slightly more lightweight - I love the sturdy feel of the heavy K-5 body, but I like to carry my camera every day and would be happy to carry 100 grams less...
07-26-2013, 05:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Thank you God,
amen...
07-26-2013, 05:31 AM - 5 Likes   #7

Dear Pentax,

Don't screw with the K-5's body design.

Love and evil monkey eyes,
Guy Fawkes

07-26-2013, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by halfspin Quote
Dear Pentax,

Love and evil monkey eyes,
Guy Fawkes
Yes, the K-7/5 body design is pretty perfect. Spartan, almost no "design", functionality and ergonomics first. I can't really see any possibility for improvements.
07-26-2013, 05:52 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I don't think that the salespeople sent to local stores have any solid information to report. The "new cameras soon" is plausible but that can be applied to most camera manufacturers. Salespeople get paid to be positive and exciting. I agree it's likely we'll get something new but the info presented above seems mere hearsay.
07-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by halfspin Quote
Well, a bit of extra space for another SD card slot would be nice.
As would a bigger and better located green button for left eye shooters. The lesser-series K-cameras (K-x, K-30, K-50 etc) have it in a easy-to-access location. On the K-5, I can't get my thumb onto the green button without my nose being in the way, so I have to take my eye off the viewfinder to use it. Not optimal.
07-26-2013, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Yes, the K-7/5 body design is pretty perfect. Spartan, almost no "design", functionality and ergonomics first. I can't really see any possibility for improvements.

I beg to differ, good sir.
I'm a firm believer in the shape of the K10/K20 and wouldn't mind at all if Pentax went "big" again.
07-26-2013, 08:01 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
I'm a firm believer in the shape of the K10/K20 and wouldn't mind at all if Pentax went "big" again.
concur. K10 was more comfortable and generally just a pleasure to handle. I find the K7 derivatives to be a bit clunky.
07-26-2013, 08:02 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you God,
Amen brother
07-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I don't think that the salespeople sent to local stores have any solid information to report. The "new cameras soon" is plausible but that can be applied to most camera manufacturers. Salespeople get paid to be positive and exciting. I agree it's likely we'll get something new but the info presented above seems mere hearsay.
So, do you doubt that they'll release more cameras this year, and even if they do, they'll be less attractive deals than the current line-up?

Nah .
07-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
Not in APS-C will we likely see larger sizes again.