Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2008, 12:01 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The structure of HOYA Corporation and myth about Tokina

Here is the structure of HOYA Corp.

I'd like to stop myth of Hoya is owner of Tokina Co., Ltd.
Or maybe somebody can prove it....

10-06-2008, 12:03 AM   #2
ogl
Banned

Original Poster

directors of company
10-06-2008, 12:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The chart merely shows the subsidiary companies under the Hoya Corp.
It is a fairly common practice for Japanese companies to hold shares of other related companies (cross share holding) which would not be reflected as a direct entity.
10-06-2008, 12:34 AM   #4
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
It's words...Give the proof.
I know speculations very good...

10-06-2008, 12:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It's words...Give the proof.
I know speculations very good...
Ha ha, I never made any such claim... :ugh:
You're pretty good at speculations yourself
10-06-2008, 12:48 AM   #6
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
Toru Yamanaka is the president of Tokina Co., Ltd and Kenko Professional Imaging Co., Ltd.
To say honest, the last one is simply trading company. No any signs that Hoya is the owner of this companies.
10-06-2008, 02:30 AM   #7

Tokina/Hoya links

Hello.
As far as I understand, Hoya is owned by Tokina.

If you browse the tokina website at any produts' page (i.e. Tokina) you will see an Other Recommendations area on the right. There, clicking filters takes you to the HOYA FILTERS - The Difference is Clear website.

In the HoyaFilter website homepage there are company's addresses and contacts emails, and guess what? The first one is:

INTERNATIONAL
Tokina Co.,Ltd.
120-4 Nozuta-Machi, Machida-Shi, Tokyo 195-0063
Tel: 81-42-734-8255 Fax: 81-42-735-1463
sales@tokina.co.jp

Also, the graphic designs of both websites are identical.

More: i own some Hoya filters, and on the boxes' inlay card it's printed "Hoya is a Tokina Company", or something like that...

Bye bye.

10-06-2008, 02:48 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

directors of company
Which one of these guys was it that Wendy B was supposed to be related to?
10-06-2008, 05:19 AM   #9
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by taiabati Quote
Hello.
As far as I understand, Hoya is owned by Tokina.

If you browse the tokina website at any produts' page (i.e. Tokina) you will see an Other Recommendations area on the right. There, clicking filters takes you to the HOYA FILTERS - The Difference is Clear website.

In the HoyaFilter website homepage there are company's addresses and contacts emails, and guess what? The first one is:

INTERNATIONAL
Tokina Co.,Ltd.
120-4 Nozuta-Machi, Machida-Shi, Tokyo 195-0063
Tel: 81-42-734-8255 Fax: 81-42-735-1463
sales@tokina.co.jp

Also, the graphic designs of both websites are identical.

More: i own some Hoya filters, and on the boxes' inlay card it's printed "Hoya is a Tokina Company", or something like that...

Bye bye.

Tokina is very SMALL company!!!! They are simply distributing Hoya products, make some products under HOYA brand and buy 100% of glass.

THK (USA) is the distubutor of Hoya, Tokina, Kenko and Slik at U.S. market.

Last edited by ogl; 10-06-2008 at 07:35 AM.
10-06-2008, 06:07 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tokina is very SMALL company!!!! They are simply distributing Hoya products, make some products under HOYA brand and buy 100% of glass.

THK (USA) is the distubutor of Hoya, Tokina, Kenko and Slik at U.S. market.
I'm with you. I'm hearing all this non-sense about Tokina owned by Hoya and nobody is able to prove it. This issue was recently fueled again when in a supposed interview ( Pentax and Samsung Partnership Not Perfect - PhotographyBLOG )with "Pentax’s Sales & Marketing Director of Imaging Systems, Mr. Toshiaki Iue", in which they report that "Similarly, Hoya aren’t planning to sell the lens-maker Tokina, which they also own, or to merge it with Pentax." That last sentence was taken as a proof that Tokina was owned by Hoya. My guess is that the report assumed that and interpreted what was being said. We don't have a full transcript of the interview. We don't even know the interviewer and the article is not signed...
10-06-2008, 07:00 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is supposedly that interview where a Pentax representative says Hoya will not merge Tokina and Pentax, so they have to own both, so it appear.

What is strange is the absence of evidence on the official web pages for a direct ownership, as far as I know . But there are other web sources.
On Photo.net you can find this post:
"Adam Maas , Dec 23, 2006; 03:07 p.m.

THK is the US importer for Hoya's brands. Hoya bought Tokina and Kenko (Who had earlier merged) back in the 90's. I've had this confirmed by a reliable source (the industry author Bob Shell) on the PDML list. "
(Pentax Heiland ,Pentax Honeywell, Asahi Pentax, Pentax Samsung, Pentax SK,, Hoya Pentax HD... - Photo.net Pentax Forum)

And at pdml from the same source (Bob Shell):
"> I doubt that anyone here even knew
> Hoya owned Tokana until just the other day.
I've known it since the acquisition. There was never any secrecy
about it. Hoya took over Kenko at about the same time. Press
releases went out about these deals, and I'm sure some of the photo
publications mentioned this."
(Re: What Makes a Pentax a Pentax?)

More from pdml. But there are also people at pdml claiming they are not connected.

In Tokinas english lens catalog one can read (page 5 in the pdf version I have):
"Through technical cooperation with Hoya, Tokina has succeeded in
producing high quality molded glass elements with a greater
aspherical shape than any other lens so far."

It appears a fact (one of few here) that all three of Hoya, Tokina and Kenko has the same US distributor since 1993:
Tokina Hoya Kenko photo products Inc,

Maybe this is also true for some other places, I found this for Hong Kong.
Hoya Tokina Kenko Imaging in Hong Kong? Any forum fellows who can confirm?

But it is sure not true for my part of the globe where Pentax and Kenko now have the same distributor, but Tokina and Hoya is elsewhere.

(On the Kenko-Tokina web page (which appears to clearly relate them), there is again Slik listed together with them as in the US distributor.)

In several places on the web people refer to the Kenko Pro and Hoya Pro filters as identical, yet an indication, but not an evidence. Could be just that Kenko buy Hoya filters and relabel them.

However, note that on Hoya's global web page, in the "history of Hoya", they list the merge with Pentax (obviously considered to be a very relevant thing in Hoya's history ), but nothing about Tokina or Kenko. Would they not have considered it equally important if they bought Tokina? OK, for me Pentax is more important than Tokina, but from their perspective, would it not be of about the same importance?

There appear obviously to be some sort of linkage, having same distributor in some places, producing similar lenses under Pentax and Tokina labels. If the interview and the pdml source is wrong, it could just be a collaboration, that started with that both buys Hoya glass and hence sits on the same table from the start so to say. They might even have some cross-ownership? Does anyone here know if that pdml source is trustworthy? Any reason not to believe in the interview?

I give ogl this: It is odd that one cannot find this ownership in official pages, like the Pentax merge. Why keep us in the dark. But are all these other sources wrong, including the interview?
This is like trying to understand who made which Vivitar or Soligor lens from the 70's! Sometimes impossible! At that time it was so much cross connection between different labels that you can get dizzy just from trying to figure it out, and this was certainly deliberately. So there is the possibility that this is the same trick again: make it look like Pentax and Tokina lenses are more independent than they appear in the eyes of the consumers. That could explain the absence of official explanations on official web pages.

Then I can't help thinking that the answer could all be out there if I just could read Korean or Japanese (but my schools only offered French, German and Spanish as third and fourth languages)

What is more important to me is this: Those lenses that are produced with identical optical design by Pentax and Tokina, are they Pentax design or Tokina design from the beginning??? You can find people claiming both ways on the web.
10-06-2008, 07:41 AM   #12
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
It's just great cooperation...

It's easy.
Kenko and Tokina has the same owner. Kenko and Tokina cooperate with Hoya. And it's all.
This companies are not in structure of HOYA.

Kenko sells (and perhaps makes) film cameras, digital cameras and camcorders under the Kenko brand, and makes lenses under the Tokina brand. It sells all sorts of camera accessories under the Kenko brand, including tripods, filters, conversion lenses, etc. It also makes accessories sold under other brands, such as the Slik and Daiwa tripods, the Cokin and Lee filters, the Tamrac camera bags, ATP memory cards and Aska portable image viewers.

From Kenko - Camerapedia.org
10-06-2008, 08:04 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's just great cooperation...

It's easy.
Kenko and Tokina has the same owner. Kenko and Tokina cooperate with Hoya. And it's all.
This companies are not in structure of HOYA.
That's it and Kenko/Tokina also builds Hoya Filters which seems to be a very small part of Hoya operations. That's also probably why THK includes Hoya in its name.

Now, it would be great if a Hoya/Pentax official would clear definitively the "Hoya owns Tokina" rumour.
10-06-2008, 08:52 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Here is the structure of HOYA Corp.

I'd like to stop myth of Hoya is owner of Tokina Co., Ltd.
Or maybe somebody can prove it....
OK, if you look through this thread you will see that twice (and 2 different) Hoya exec's state that Hoya "ownes" Tokina.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=29524341
My guesstimate is since Tokina/Kenko are a LTD. company their "private stock" may well be owned by Hoya in a majority stake. This appears to be one of those more convoluted relationships.

For $443 US you may be able to find out for sure.
TOKINA CO.,LTD. (Single location) - IRUMA-GUN - JAPAN - D&B - AlacraStore.com
Ogl I used to strongly believe the same thing (Tokina independence) but that wall is crumbling a bit. It still may be true but the pendulum is swinging to some sort of "ownership".
Both Tokina and Kenko are pretty dependent on Hoya...
10-06-2008, 09:11 AM   #15
Veteran Member

You're all full of sh*t. (if you're easily offended, read: hot air)

Pardon the expression; but why would this matter to the act of taking pictures?

Here's a tip - pick up that camera y'all been keepin' locked in your cupboard for the past measubartion/speculation-filled months and snap a couple of pictures with the lenses you lot have been so feverishly been arguing over. It's good therapy.