Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2009, 03:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

April 2009 Popular Photo. has GREAT review of K2000

Written by Philip Ryan, its one of Popular Photography's full 4 page reviews.

"Bottom Line:
If you're looking for a first DSLR, the K2000 shouldn't disappoint. It handles well and can produce beautiful images in moderate and bright light. (Low-light shooters may want to think twice before buying, however)

Add to that Pentax's wide array of relatively inexpensive curent lenses, plus the availability of low cost legacy lenses, and the fact that this kit comes with the AF... flash, and you've got yourself one sweet deal"

They compare the K2000 to Canon EOS Rebel XS and say the 2000 is the winner. They also compare it to the Sony Alpha 200 and call it a draw. The article goes into more detail in its body about the great availability of lenses in the Pentax line, compared to the legacy lenses in most other camera lines which are not interchageable to this degree - or something to that effect.

This same magazine has an article on the available full frame cameras and concludes:

"for most serious amateurs, and many pros, there is no compelling reason for going to a full-frame DSLR,"

Of course the article contains a lot of discussion to back up that conclusion.

Just looking at what the buzz is in this one magazine, I would say that Pentax's future camera for this summer (if those 200 extra Phillipine workers are applied) will be an advanced version of the K2000 (because that is where the market excitement is). I would also speculate that the 2 most important camera lines to Pentax's future are the K2000, K20D, and to a much lesser degree the K645D. I doubt there is going to be a K200 successor anytime soon given the state of today's economy.

(putting on Kevlar suit now :-)) - incoming!

Phil

03-28-2009, 03:49 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Great news, thanks for letting us know!

So the camo version is not a bad idea at all IMHO.

I think they even might get away with a Hello Kitty model, at least in Japan
03-28-2009, 06:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Just looking at what the buzz is in this one magazine, I would say that Pentax's future camera for this summer (if those 200 extra Phillipine workers are applied) will be an advanced version of the K2000 (because that is where the market excitement is).
May well be the case.

I remember Pentax Digital really taking off was with the *istDS, not *istD.
03-28-2009, 06:40 PM   #4
MSM
Veteran Member

@Phil: I would agree with you. I think the entry level and mid range is where the action is going to be. I saw the Pop review. I have to say that the remarks were as good as I have seen from them. I almost felt that it hurt them to publish that it was better than the Rebel.

OT: I noticed that the last canon release they added a kit lens with IS built in. Now they have released a new rebel with a kit flash. Interesting. Maybe Pentax is not behind in everything.

03-28-2009, 06:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

remember the comments when the white K2000 appeared?
I didn't hear anything bad about the olive version (is quite appealing, I'd say)

I think you're right, the small brother is the real selling point here.
03-31-2009, 12:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It's strange how everybody thinks the K2000 is a very good camera. All except dpreview, that is.
03-31-2009, 12:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
It's strange how everybody thinks the K2000 is a very good camera. All except dpreview, that is.
I don't subscribe to any camera magazines, just pick them up when i see something to ponder. I thought it was pretty neat of Pop photo. to print the nice review about the Pentax K2000 (and make a remark about a (budget DSLR on the cover page), and also contain an article about Nikon, Canon and Sony full frame cameras which says that they're really not needed by most photographers. Whether everybody agrees or not, i appreciate the a honesty of the magazine to do more than pander to advertisers.

03-31-2009, 04:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But on the other hand, when has PopPhoto slammed anything?
03-31-2009, 05:21 AM   #9
Pentaxian

trustedreviews.com has a very positive review too!

Pentax K-m DSLR Review - Digital Camera Reviews - TrustedReviews

"Verdict

The Pentax K-m is a good first camera. It has better build quality than most of its rivals, it handles and performs well, and is capable of producing excellent results even in the hands of a novice, while still having enough features and custom options to satisfy more experienced photographers. The only real problem is the annoying lack of AF target points in the viewfinder, which is both confusing and inconvenient. "

Cliff is much more sensible than dpreview wrt. image quality:

"In its default “Bright” setting, the JPEG mode is quite over-saturated, presumably to produce images more like those of a compact camera. Fortunately the menu includes a very good colour customisation system, and simply switching to the second pre-set “Natural” colour mode produces much better results. "

The lack of AF target points is my main gripe with this camera too. I hope they, in typical Pentax style, release a K-m Super which fixes this. Many buyers of the camera will never notice anyway, but it's the single lack of feature for this camera which doesn't make it quite the camera "to grow up with" that e.g. the K100D was.
03-31-2009, 06:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
The lack of AF target points is my main gripe with this camera too. I hope they, in typical Pentax style, release a K-m Super which fixes this. Many buyers of the camera will never notice anyway, but it's the single lack of feature for this camera which doesn't make it quite the camera "to grow up with" that e.g. the K100D was.
The K10D, of course, has selectable focus points with red indicator dots, but I have so much better luck using the center point only and recomposing that I have given up using them — and don't really miss it. If there were hundreds of poitns, it'd be a problem, but it's rare the 11 (or 5, for the K2000) would be where I want them anyway.

On the other hand, leaving off the rotation sensor, as trivial as that may seem, is a deal-breaker for me. When I upgraded to the K10D from my K100D, I quickly decided that just removing that irritating step from my workflow was totally worth the price difference.
03-31-2009, 09:50 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wait a second- my K10D doesn't seem to rotate pictures... when I just dump my image files onto my hard drive, I still have to rotate all the vertical shots. Do I need to enable this feature somehow?
03-31-2009, 10:33 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
The K10D, of course, has selectable focus points with red indicator dots, but I have so much better luck using the center point only and recomposing that I have given up using them — and don't really miss it. If there were hundreds of poitns, it'd be a problem, but it's rare the 11 (or 5, for the K2000) would be where I want them anyway.

On the other hand, leaving off the rotation sensor, as trivial as that may seem, is a deal-breaker for me. When I upgraded to the K10D from my K100D, I quickly decided that just removing that irritating step from my workflow was totally worth the price difference.
I guess this just shows that YMMV. I think the placement of the 11 focus points is excellent, the border points of the central 9 are just where you want them for different variants of "rule of thirds" compositions. I think I use these almost more than the centre point. The orientation sensor is very good to have, but I could have managed well without that. I always do small edits to each (always RAW) image anyway, and then the rotation is just one extra click.
03-31-2009, 11:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hannican Quote
Wait a second- my K10D doesn't seem to rotate pictures... when I just dump my image files onto my hard drive, I still have to rotate all the vertical shots. Do I need to enable this feature somehow?
My picture don´t rotate in K10D, so i have "full frame" of every pic.
But then i upload to harddrive they rotate to the right view, it´s only a menu thing.
04-01-2009, 12:11 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Pentax Pentax K2000 - Camera Reviews from Photography Experts

Popphoto says Nikon and Canon are better in low light, strange, Swedish Kamera&Bild say that K-m/K2000 don´t have problem as Nikon/Canon have in low light....
04-01-2009, 08:52 AM   #15
Veteran Member

And someone with a K10D won first place in their "best shot" contest.
I think her name is Angela Vincent.