Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2013, 02:53 AM   #1

Q with Adapted Lens : Overheat?

I've recently bought the Q, intenting to use it exclusively with adapted lenses.

When out in sunny Singaporean weather, the red thermometer symbol (overheat?) will come on the display after 15 mins of shooting.
Does anyone face similar issue or is my Q due for a service call?

Setup :
Pentax Q
Fotodiox Adaptor
Pentax DA 35mm f2.4
Tamron SP 90mm f2.8 Macro

Weather:
Temperature ~30 degreeC (~90F)
Humiditiy >80%

Last edited by dualie; 01-14-2013 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Edit humidity info to >80%
01-14-2013, 05:25 AM   #2

the 90* heat and humidity are most likely being augmented by the fact that instead of a tiny silver lens, there is a big honkin piece of black plastic, metal, and most importantly glass that is designed to create a focus point on the sensor. Camera manual specifically states not to operate in high temperature or humidity. Temp is usually 40C but that's not with 90+% humidity. I think the humidity is what is killing it and the service call is not going to do anything for you and telling them about those conditions will likely void the warranty. High humidity is typically considered greater than 65%. Normal conditions for testing labs and what not are typically between 50 and 65% so 90 is certainly up there. Your conditions yield a very high heat index and the radiation going to the camera is going to be much much higher. Somewhere along the lines of 50C heat index which is much higher than the camera is rated for.
01-14-2013, 06:35 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the detail explanation 👍
Will take into account this limitation next time I go shooting
01-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I saw the temp warning show up when I was doing videos and tripod shooting with adapted lenses on a hot day.
I had the auto-off function turned off and the power save turned off as well.
It still kept working, though.
Haven't seen it again since.

01-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If you are using SR in the full time setting, this might be a factor, along with the high ambient temperature. When first experimenting with adapted lenses after FW v1.10 which first allowed SR with adapted lenses, I was using full-time SR, and I noticed the body warming up noticeably for the first time -- the ambient temp was cool. I think that the very small, tightly packed body of the Q and the added challenge of attempting to correct for camera shake at comparatively long FL EQ (possibly with an algorithm that takes into account the "arms length" VF technique as assumed which would increase the amount of sensor movement accordingly) could cause the SR system to produce a lot of heat. Add high ambient temps along with full-time sensor use for the EVF, this could cause high temperature warnings .

I'd be surprised if humidity is much of a factor in this. "Heat index" is calculated on the basis of the human body's ability to cool itself by using the evaporation of perspiration, and really should not effect devices like cameras adversely. IIRC, humidity is not mentioned as a factor in the specs for operating temps for any camera.

Exposure to direct sunlight, especially for the black Q, might have some consequences as the black body would absorb more energy in the form of heat.

I'd suggest trying to work with SR only at the time of exposure and trying to shield the camera from direct sunlight as much as possible as two possible strategies. Turning the camera off or turning the LCD off (by pressing the Info button twice) during pauses in shooting might also help with an overheating problem since the sensor produces heat when used, and in a mirrorless camera, it's being used full time for the EVF.

Scott
01-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had my temp warning come on for the first time today. It was about 87'f, black Q, black 200mm lens on black Photodiox adapter SR on continuous, battery almost depleted and the warning came on. I was shooting about 25 shots of a bird without turning off the camera. Turned camera off for a few min and it stayed off. I always shoot with SR on, it seems to help hand holding long lenses. I'm thinking is it was the low battery and the outside temp. The camera did feel warm.

Hans
01-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You can use the Q with the 01 lens and the optical viewfinder which enables you to turn off the rear screen by pressing the Info button twice. This will extend battery life and, more importantly for you, remove the largest source of heat generation in the camera.

Another option would be to use a monitor plugged into the HDMI or AV port, plugging in a monitor automatically turns the rear screen off, but they do make the camera unwieldy for hand holding, OK on a tripod. It's my preferred method when taking video. In this mode pressing the Info button turns the rear screen back on, another press brings up the menu and a third press turns the rear screen back off again.

Chris

01-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #8

Original Poster
Just to mention.
I'm using a white Q.
SR is set to activate only at point of shuttle release.
LCD on full time.
Power Saving is off.

Glad to know that I'm not the only one with temp warning when using adapted lens.
01-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
Another option would be to use a monitor plugged into the HDMI or AV port, plugging in a monitor automatically turns the rear screen off, but they do make the camera unwieldy for hand holding, OK on a tripod. It's my preferred method when taking video.
Chris do you have links to the cables and devices you are using for your setup? Does this setup allow you to see focus using the external monitor instead of the Q display?
01-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Does this setup allow you to see focus using the external monitor instead of the Q display?
That is an interesting question, I'm trying to visualize what that setup would look like.

Hans
01-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #11
owl
Forum Member

Humidity shouldn't have much of an impact unless it is condensing, but that isn't a heat issue. The adapter with full frame or APS-C lens will illuminate the entire area of the lens mount which will result in heating of the sensor and SR mechanism to a greater degree than the Q mount lenses will; stopping it down will limit this effect and might be enough to avoid overheating. Anything that reduces battery drainage will also reduce self heating such as turning off SR except during shutter release.
01-14-2013, 10:26 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Had my temp warning come on a couple of times on a very hot 90+F ~85% humidity day. Was using DA*300, RJ adapter, on tripod. No SR. Black Q. Turned it off first time and let it cool. Used the K-7 while Q cooled. Second time went thru this cycle the K-7 warning came on. Didn't know the 7 had a warning. Was using LV. The Q did get me a great eagle pic that day. Do our lcds use leds or flourescent illumination?
thanks
barondla

Now wondering if temp comes on with normal Q lens? The k-7 temp warning came on with its K lens.
01-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #13

I had my temp warning come on for the first time yesterday. It was about 80F outside and I was shooting 3 shot brackets for HDR. About two photos (6 shots) per minute or so for about 10 minutes. Black Q, 02 lens. This is the kind of shooting I normally do. I love the Q, but if it can't take a California winter day I don't know if I'll be able to count on it in the summer. Maybe I'll just have to get used to turning it off every few minutes. I do have the display cranked all the up so maybe that had something to do with it. I have a viewer shade coming and I should be able to lower the brightness so I'll see if that helps things.
01-23-2013, 09:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Chris do you have links to the cables and devices you are using for your setup? Does this setup allow you to see focus using the external monitor instead of the Q display?
Sorry for the late reply

For linking to a monitor that can take AV the Pentax standard Micro USB to AV lead, the one with the yellow Phono plug on the end, or 3rd party equivalent, used to be included, now is an extra, shame on you Pentax, work fine.

For HDMI any standard Mini HDMI to Standard HDMI lead will work. There is a sting with HDMI, most Pentax models (K5 in live view mode, even the Q, always in live view mode) carry the rear screen view on HDMI, which is what we want to monitor, but the K-01, for some reason, only carries only the playback signal, you can't see the rear screen on a K-01, don't ask me why, it's something that needs to be fixed with a firmware update. The AV output works fine on a K-01.

With both you see exactly what the rear screen is showing including focusing, and, if activated in menu, image zoom and focus peaking, the only exception is the K-01 and HDMI..

For remote camera use you can extend these cables, I have 15mtr versions of both which work fine.

Your looking at the screen resolution with either, there is no image quality difference with HDMI as you might expect.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisJ; 01-23-2013 at 09:12 AM.
01-23-2013, 09:05 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
Sorry for the late reply

For linking to a monitor that can take AV the Pentax standard Micro USB to AV lead, the one with the yellow Phono plug on the end, or 3rd party equivalent, used to be included, now is an extra, shame on you Pentax, work fine.

For HDMI any standard Mini HDMI to Standard HDMI lead will work. There is a sting with HDMI, most Pentax models (K10D, K5 in live view mode, even the Q, always in live view mode) carry the rear screen view on HDMI, which is what we want to monitor, but the K-01, for some reason, only carries only the playback signal, you can't see the rear screen on a K-01, don't ask me why, it's something that needs to be fixed with a firmware update. The AV output works fine on a K-01.

With both you see exactly what the rear screen is showing including focusing and, if activated, focus peaking, the only exception is the K-01 and HDMI..

For remote camera use you can extend these cables, I have 15mtr versions of both which work fine.

Your looking at the screen resolution with either, there is no image quality difference with HDMI as you might expect.
Thanks Chris, I'm going to look into those cables. Any particular monitor you are using?