Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-15-2010, 02:10 AM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA pancake - most popular lens?

Is the DA 40mm pancake truly the most popular DA lens? The numbers in the lens review database sure indicate so! Or, could its novelty just be attracting more viewers than buyers? I'm not sure on this one- but at a recent event, I struck up a 20 minute conversation with a random Canon user just because he saw the little lens on my camera

Its reviews have been read 41,305 times- that's several thousand more than those of the DA* 50-135mm, which I think is next in line.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-15-2010, 03:07 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
never underestimate the pulling power of compact, fast primes...especially if they are as well made as the DA limited lenses are. one of my colleagues has one and the nikon and canon crowd with their f/2.8 heavy as hell midrange zoom lenses were openly envious. Their jaws dropped when I projected a studio image from it on the wall. Pentax are probably the most underestimated camera manufacturer these days.

though you should have seen them when I showed them my FA limited lenses and their luxuriously felt lined lens hoods. The FA77 with it's built in lens hood was a another cause of green envy amongst the canikon group.
05-15-2010, 03:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Funny I saw a guy with a Canon setup at a popular spot I like to photograph, he saw me with my K200D and the 40mm attached, had an inquisitive look on his face and said "is that a P&S or an SLR?"
05-15-2010, 06:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

it's appearance is the one thing that draw our attention into her. When i bring that lens to local photographers meet, she always get the attention first. they respond always like..

what is that..????

and they are all always smile and laughing. until they saw the pictures it produces..

its thin. its sharp. like razorblade.

05-15-2010, 07:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Being the cheapest DA Limited lens could be a contributing factor for it's popularity.
05-15-2010, 07:16 AM   #6

I think a good indication of how popular this lens has become is just trying to find one. I have looked at several places and they are out of stock (Amazon,J&R, B&H). Adorama does have it for a great price of $340 but it is going for $400+ other places. I know good glass is expensive but the average price in the lens review database is $286, so someone must be buying this lens.

I wish now I had waited to get my FA 50mm and gotten this gem.
05-15-2010, 10:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Even amongst the pancakes, I might like my DA 70 more than my DA 40, but I suppose the combination of its unbeatable size, versatile (though not perfect) walkaround focal length, and incredible sharpness, colors and rendering, could make the DA 40 the most popular DA lens.

05-15-2010, 10:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The DA 40 is a beautiful lens, and the low price certainly factor into its popularity.

I agree with everyone here, I feel that Pentax makes the best primes.
05-15-2010, 11:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I believe it's minute size made it a heavy favorite.
05-15-2010, 02:01 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies. I suppose that the price and size indeed open peoples' eyes!

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Some of that may be due to the FA 50mm f1.4 being discontinued. Prices on used ones then went above the prices of the FA new. BH just got a new batch in and the price on the FA is ~$350 shipped which is still a few more dollars than the DA 40mm ltd. The FA numbers are at > 37K
05-15-2010, 09:40 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Some of that may be due to the FA 50mm f1.4 being discontinued. Prices on used ones then went above the prices of the FA new. BH just got a new batch in and the price on the FA is ~$350 shipped which is still a few more dollars than the DA 40mm ltd. The FA numbers are at > 37K
You'd still think that the 50's numbers would be higher since it's been out for so much longer, and put to good use by the (quickly-diminishing, I guess) film crew.

Adam

05-15-2010, 09:42 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Also, do I happen to be the owner of one of the first ones? Check out the serial number:

Can anyone else share their SN range?

Adam

05-16-2010, 06:51 AM   #14
Veteran Member

My DA40s SN is 0000662.
Chose it after finding f/2.8 a decent speed, and 50mm too narrow, and other primes too pricey. Bought it used from a long-time Pentax user a couple of years ago.
05-16-2010, 08:09 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I do love my DA 70 to bits... tempted to get the 40 even though i dont really care for the focal length.