Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2010, 06:28 PM   #1

Hoya HD filters: Legitimate Sellers on Ebay?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I decided to get the clear UV and circ. polarizer hoya filters in 52 MM as I have read good things. My understanding is that with modern day dslrs UV or just "clear" makes no difference, with no benefit to either, so it sounds like it doesn't really matter which I get.

I found this combo of the UV and polarizer on ebay from a Hong Kong seller for a seemingly great price...is this legitimate or some sketchy gray market business? I have very little experience with this stuff so advice is appreciated.

52mm Hoya HD Circular Polarizing CPL + UV Set Filter us - eBay (item 230536530901 end time Nov-09-10 02:34:05 PST)

I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting this link, just wanted to see if experienced photographers could take a look and save me the trouble before I buy if it is sketchy.

Cheers -Loren

10-12-2010, 07:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
for affordable brand filters I go to maxsaver.net. never had any problem.
10-12-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I bought a had full of Hoya Pro 1 filters from Hong Kong Buy & Sell on eBay. The prices were quite good, and they had filter combos. The shipping was free but slow with a capital-snail. I'd buy from them again if I didn't need something right away; it took about three weeks!

On the other hand, a domestic store called Spotlight Photo also has excellent prices. I bought my Hoya HD polarizers and some ND filters from them. I believe the shipping was free.
10-12-2010, 08:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I bought a HMC ND8 from citiwide last year. While everything looked genuine, the rear surface was completely uncoated, the front was MC but not quite as HMC as my other HMC. Then I bought an identical one from B&H. It's also not HMC on the rear but not completely uncoated. I have no idea why because all my HMC filters are HMC on both sides. Did B&H source from shady suppliers? Something is fishy but I cannot quite make sense of it. Would probably stay with maxsaver which has been trouble-free.

10-13-2010, 02:20 PM   #5

Consider this Hoya 52mm Digital Filter Kit with 3 Filters and Pouch - eBay (item 390251132499 end time Nov-10-10 11:33:33 PST) from Adorama.

It includes a multi-coated Hoya UV filter, a Hoya Circular Polarizer, and a Hoya ND 8. I just received my set last friday and I love it, it's a great value; it's not their HD brand but it is a legit hoya package.

Jay
10-13-2010, 08:14 PM   #6

Original Poster
thanks for the tip Jay, so are the polarizer and ND not multi-coated?
10-13-2010, 11:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I prefer the B+W ND filters and Marumi DHG CPL's to the Hoya offerings...Marumi is one of the top brands in Europe apparently but I have to say it's easily my all time fav CPL...until I can find and afford a Singh-Ray Blue-n-Gold CPL (that bad boy is MAGIC)...

I bought my B+W #110 on Amazon for a great price and the Marumi DHG CPL from a seller in Texas for under $40 including shipping....oh, both are 58mm filters and I use step-down rings with rubber hoods to sort of spread the wealth filter wise.

The reason I am not a fan of Hoya filters was the difficulty I had cleaning mine when O was shooting Canon...I don't think I ever got one completely clean and smudge free. And I used every possible cleaning tool, fluid and blow-torch I could find...

BTW...I too can say Maxsaver is a GREAT place to buy. But these days they are not always the best deal as they were in the past.

10-14-2010, 01:10 AM   #8

Original Poster
when you had trouble cleaning Hoyas were they the HDs though? I have read they are very improved for cleaning.

I have most mostly good but a few sketchy things about MaxSaver, having to do with graymarket possibilities.

I am down to either Hoya HD, Kenko Zeta (read conflicting info on whether these two are the same filter) or the Marumi SuperDHG... Decisions decisions!

They are all good I believe, but not sure if the Marumi is as thick of glass for protection as the others.....
10-14-2010, 01:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have a B+W CPL uncoated and an array of HOYA uncoated, HMC & HD, also an Kenko Pro1 MC. All of them except the B+W display a layer of haze sandwiched between the glasses when flashlight them. I have not done any tests to see if this haze had any impact on resolution, and I have no other B+W to compare with. HD is easy to clean though.
10-14-2010, 02:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Loren E Quote
when you had trouble cleaning Hoyas were they the HDs though? I have read they are very improved for cleaning.

I have most mostly good but a few sketchy things about MaxSaver, having to do with graymarket possibilities.

I am down to either Hoya HD, Kenko Zeta (read conflicting info on whether these two are the same filter) or the Marumi SuperDHG... Decisions decisions!

They are all good I believe, but not sure if the Marumi is as thick of glass for protection as the others.....
Hi Loren,

As far as I remember, gotta go look it up to be certain but my Hoya's were HD...lemme go check. Naw, I just checked my AMazon order history and mine were those Hoya DMC Pro1 series filters so maybe the newer HD filters are a lot easier to clean.

It would be super is Hoya made their filters easier to clean as I know a LOT of pro's who stopped using them because they got tired of the issue. It was seriously like Hoya added some sort of coating on purpose that liked to retain oils from your hands or other organic stuff!! hahaha....even a Lenspen followed or before a microfiber cloth would not clean the beasties for me! It was funny and irritating at the same time.

As far as Marumi DHG (or SuperDHG) filters, last time I was shopping, earlier this year, I recall they are only lesser known in the US but in the EU they were the #1 selling filters. So I took a chance and since have found them the be the best CPL's I have used...a bit on the warm side but remember all brands as well as product lines have different behaviors so make sure to hunt for a lot of unedited as well as adjusted sample shots before settling on a brand & model. This is even more true for HD filters...and don't put too much stock in the marketing of "multi-coating" and such. Often all it means is they double dip (ok, spray coat or whatever) the filter...what matters is if it gives the results.

Sounds like you are in the same spot brand wise that I was...good luck, I don't think any of them are bad filters. I just liked the shots taken with Marumi's plus I found a good selling in the US on eBay, from Texas is I recall. I have to get going for an appointment soon but could always junt up the seller ID later one if it matters.
10-14-2010, 02:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I have a B+W CPL uncoated and an array of HOYA uncoated, HMC & HD, also an Kenko Pro1 MC. All of them except the B+W display a layer of haze sandwiched between the glasses when flashlight them. I have not done any tests to see if this haze had any impact on resolution, and I have no other B+W to compare with. HD is easy to clean though.
Can't go to far wrong with B+W either...but those danged Pro1 coated Hoya/Kenko's are, wellll, just "evil" to me...hope they improved it a bunch or cleaners got better because when clean nothing wrong with those filters either.
10-14-2010, 02:55 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Might be worth looking at the used market as well. I bought a Heliopan 77mm CPL a couple years ago for less than $60. The price for that filter now at B&H is more than triple the amount.