Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2008, 02:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Power Zoom question

Does anybody know if the Power Zoom (the whole 5 modes) from some older Pentax lenses will work on K100D?

I read on an article that only 2 modes work on K10D.

Thanks,

06-24-2008, 03:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
Does anybody know if the Power Zoom (the whole 5 modes) from some older Pentax lenses will work on K100D?

Thanks,
I owned one of the power zoom and I know for sure the 'power zoom ring' will not work on K100D. In K100D, you can still use the non-power zoom to turn zoom ring as any other normal zoom rings. In K10D, the power zoom ring will work.

Pentax SMC 28-80 f/3.5-4.7 Power Zoom Test Shots - Hin's Tech Corner

Regarding the other power zoom modes, as far as I know, they don't work in both K10D and K100D.

Last edited by hinman; 06-24-2008 at 04:38 PM.
06-24-2008, 03:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote

Thanks,
To my knowledge, the only thing supported at this time on the K10D is the power to provide power zooming as opposed to manual zoom. None of the other functions, such as image size tracking, zoom during exposure , or even for th elens to "fold up" back to its shortest overall length on power down work.

I contacted pentax about the support for power zoom, which was advertised as part of the initial K10D release, and they advised they had no intention to implement any functions.

As far as working on the K100D, no it does not. (you can manual zoom but not power zoom)

It may have power for zooming on the K100Dsuper, as well as K20D and K200D but that is it.

I have not looked further, into this as I found it more of a gimick than anything else, although Image size tracking would be good, if it was on a faster lens.

ps I have a PZ-1, 2 power zoom lenses and a K10D, so if you want me to try something, let me know
06-24-2008, 03:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I just got a 28-105 power zoom & have been experimenting. The power zoom does not function at all. I just slide the lens switch down to 'P' and use the lens as a normal FA zoom. No problem at all.

The 28-105mm is a freakishly AWESOME lens! Got to be the best built lens I've put my hands on - And that includes the 40mm Limited. The thing is hefty as hell... I mean HEAVY for it's size, but I'm used to all metal 1970s era glass anyway, so no problem.

Focus is lightning fast on the K100D and I'm just havin' a BALL with the focal range! So far I've just been toying with it to get the feel, but the IQ I've seen so far has been wonderful for a zoom.... And I generally dislike zooms.

Are all the Power Zooms like this??

06-24-2008, 03:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, guys.

Hin, I always enjoy reading your blog. I guess you must be a very good engineer too in real life (if you're an engineer)

Lowell, thanks for the offer. Well, I don't really have anything particular in mind to try right now but I'll take a rain check
I was just thinking to get one of the lens with power zoom and wondering if it will work with my K100D.

The mode to maintain the image size while zooming is pretty neat.
I wonder why Pentax doesn't continue to support this with the new bodies.
06-24-2008, 03:56 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote
I just got a 28-105 power zoom & have been experimenting. The power zoom does not function at all. I just slide the lens switch down to 'P' and use the lens as a normal FA zoom. No problem at all.

The 28-105mm is a freakishly AWESOME lens! Got to be the best built lens I've put my hands on - And that includes the 40mm Limited. The thing is hefty as hell... I mean HEAVY for it's size, but I'm used to all metal 1970s era glass anyway, so no problem.

Focus is lightning fast on the K100D and I'm just havin' a BALL with the focal range! So far I've just been toying with it to get the feel, but the IQ I've seen so far has been wonderful for a zoom.... And I generally dislike zooms.

Are all the Power Zooms like this??
The only thing I note is that they have a somewhat cheap feel to them due to the "looseness" of the front group .

Optically, and I have the 28-80 and 28-105 they are very good especially for the time.

The biggest complaint I have is that the switch on the lens is fragile. I repaired the one on my 28-105, and my 28-80 had the entire switch missing when I bought it for scrap ($10) only to find that was all that was missing. for $10 it is, as you say "AWESOME "
06-25-2008, 09:27 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
The only thing I note is that they have a somewhat cheap feel to them due to the "looseness" of the front group .

Optically, and I have the 28-80 and 28-105 they are very good especially for the time.

The biggest complaint I have is that the switch on the lens is fragile. I repaired the one on my 28-105, and my 28-80 had the entire switch missing when I bought it for scrap ($10) only to find that was all that was missing. for $10 it is, as you say "AWESOME "
I have the pieces of the switch taped to my 28-80 with packing tape. Interesting looking, and it doesn't seem to affect anything - no light leaks, still focuses.

06-25-2008, 10:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

Interesting that you had troubles with your 28-105. Mine seems solid as a rock, and since the PZ doesn't come into play on the K100, I don't expect to ever touch the switch or work it loose. Perhaps mine is just newer.

Ah well. Moot point anyway. My daughter nabbed the PZ-1, a roll of film & the lens, so no more play time for the 28-105. She said I won't see it for a while...
06-26-2008, 05:12 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote
Interesting that you had troubles with your 28-105. Mine seems solid as a rock, and since the PZ doesn't come into play on the K100, I don't expect to ever touch the switch or work it loose. Perhaps mine is just newer.

Ah well. Moot point anyway. My daughter nabbed the PZ-1, a roll of film & the lens, so no more play time for the 28-105. She said I won't see it for a while...
The power zoom switch on my 28-105, I suspect got hit by something. I noticed it fell off ( fortunately in my camera bag) while in florida back around 2000. I reassembled it , snapped it in place and used a bit of super glue to hold it there. That was 8 years ago and no problems since. I think, just because of where the switch is located it is prone to impact. My 28-80 was missing all the bits but otherwise functions, so I filled the entire space with epoxy. WOrks fine as a manual zoom lens.

I really wish pentax suppported the power zoom functions. aside from the effects of zoom through exposure, the preset focal lengths and image size tracking were quite useful on my PZ-1. Image size tracking worked very well for linear motion, but cyclic motion (kids on swings) drove it nuts