Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2008, 09:00 AM   #1
Inactive Account

New to Macro - Want to try a Raynox but which one?

Hey folks,

I have a DA 50-200mm lens and I was thinking about adding a Raynox adaptor but don't know which to use...

Can anyone recommend one and explain to me how it works? Maybe show me some pictures of it on your lens?

Thanks!!

JRock

08-15-2008, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There are basically two: the 150 and the 250. With the 150, which I have, you will be focusing about six inches or less away from the end of the lens; with the 250, I think it is around half that. And in the world of macro photography, focus distance is what it's all about - for a given focal length, the closer you are to an object, the more magnification you get. That's all there is to it.

So the 250, because it lets you (and forces you to) focus even closer than the 150, provides more magnification at any given focal length. But since magnification also depends on focal length, there is actually a range of magnifications either lens can provide with a zoom lens, and the ranges overlap. The 150 provides 1:1 magnification (object is recorded on the sensor itself at life size) when zoomed to around 180mm, and correspondingly less magnification at 50mm and more at 200mm. The 250 provides 1:1 somewhere around 70mm I think.

What is 1:1 magnification in practice? Well, the sensor on your camera is around an inch across. So at 1:1 magnification, an object one inch long will just fill up the picture. With the 150 on the 50-200 zoomed all the way to 200mm, you get a little more than 1:1 magnification - so you can't quite fit an inch into the picture. Zoomed out to 50mm, an object about 3.5 inches will fill the frame.

So, consider a coin that is around an inch in diameter (like a nickel). With the 150 and your lens at 50mm, you an fit several side by side in a picture. Zoomed to 200mm, the face on one coin fills the frame.

With the 250, the coin will already be close to filling the frame at 50mm. Zoom in to 200mm, and you'll probably be looking at one eye only.

*How* it works is extremely simple - it just attaches to the front of your lens. It's kind of a funky oversized clip-on attachment as opposed to something simple lke a screw-in filter that you don't even know is there, but it goes on and comes up in a second. As for how to use it, you attach it then shoot normally - except you'll find you can no longer focus on distance object. You're limited to focusing about 6 inches away. The focus ring gives you *some* control, but mostly one focuses by moving in a little closer or a little further away - far easier to control than the focus ring. And forget autofocus. No special exposure calculations are required, but since DOF is so small at these magnifications, you generally want to shoot at the smallest aperture you can get away with - f/16 or so, maybe. That doesn't let in much light, so you may need higher ISO or flash or a a really good light source, but none of that works differently than it would shooting at f/16 without the Raynox. SR or a tripod is also a good thing.

As for choosing between them, the difference is simply one of focus distance and hence magnification. The 250 gives the option of more magnification, but I was pretty sure I didn't need closeups of a single eye of a bug, nor did I want to be forced to work just a couple of inches from the subject. So I went with the 150, and for my limited needs, it is perfect.
08-15-2008, 09:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I don't have a piture on my lens, but here is a picture of the Raynox itself:

Just imagine that thing clipped to the fornt of the lens. It's about half an inch thick, and the protrusions stick out about half on inch beyond the barrel of the lens.
08-15-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
WOW! Thanks for that great reply.

Well...I am sold, just gotta get permission from the accountant (wife).

JRock

08-15-2008, 01:44 PM   #5
Igilligan

Get the Raynox 250....

If you want tight ... They take fine shots.... They can take a little work to get used to them and get the best from them, but for the money it is a great intro into macro IMO....

The 150 as Marc said has a bit less mag, but a bit more focus distance and a bit more DOF... and therefore is easier to use... a very good choice...

I have the 250 but still would like to find a cheap used 150 to go with it. Love the 250

Here on the SMC Tak 50

And here on my fuji S6000 P&S

Cropped a bit

This lens works great on the DA 50-200, but can clip on many different lenses

Last edited by Igilligan; 08-15-2008 at 02:46 PM.
08-15-2008, 02:02 PM   #6
Igilligan

The min focus distance on the DA 50-200

The Raynox 250 on the DA 50-200 focus distance is 4 to 4.5 inches depending on how far out the focus ring is turned.
08-15-2008, 03:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what is the difference?

could someone care to explain the difference of Raynox compares to a normal macro lens, for example vivitar 105 macro or any other macro lens.

The image with Raynox seems sharper acoss the whole frame.

marcus

08-15-2008, 03:43 PM   #8

I wonder what you get if you put it on the 105
08-15-2008, 06:55 PM   #9
Igilligan

RAZOR thin DOF..... tiny focusing distance

I will try it tomorrow and show you.
08-15-2008, 07:22 PM   #10
Igilligan

Sensor size... is cheating a bit

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusyoung Quote
could someone care to explain the difference of Raynox compares to a normal macro lens, for example vivitar 105 macro or any other macro lens.

The image with Raynox seems sharper acoss the whole frame.

marcus
Part of that is sensor size... the two above were with the fuji P&S and the small sensor gives infinately more DOF than the same Aperture on the APS sized sensor. Also they are almost perfectly parallell with the camera so more of the bug is in the field of focus.

A dedicated macro like the 105 does well when the bug is sideways too...

BUT Here is a shot with the raynox and the da50-200 at 100mm... a lot of the fly is in focus. But because of the angle of the fly, the DOF starts to come in to play about halfway back on the fly....

Hope this helps...
08-16-2008, 12:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Part of that is sensor size... the two above were with the fuji P&S and the small sensor gives infinately more DOF than the same Aperture on the APS sized sensor. Also they are almost perfectly parallell with the camera so more of the bug is in the field of focus.

A dedicated macro like the 105 does well when the bug is sideways too...

BUT Here is a shot with the raynox and the da50-200 at 100mm... a lot of the fly is in focus. But because of the angle of the fly, the DOF starts to come in to play about halfway back on the fly....

Hope this helps...
thanks for the info.

What if the raynox is mounted in vivitar 105. Originally minimum forcusing distance for 1:1 maybe in 6 to7 inches from subject. With raynox 250 mounted, would the min. distance be even shorter. Magnification and DOF? Anyone with vivitar and raynox could post some results. What about sharpness in combination?

Thanks in advance.

marcus
08-16-2008, 10:50 AM   #12
Igilligan

Some quick focus distance tests

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusyoung Quote
thanks for the info.

What if the raynox is mounted in vivitar 105. Originally minimum forcusing distance for 1:1 maybe in 6 to7 inches from subject. With raynox 250 mounted, would the min. distance be even shorter. Magnification and DOF? Anyone with vivitar and raynox could post some results. What about sharpness in combination?

Thanks in advance.

marcus
Well I just did a quick and dirty test and the results were as I expected. I used a US Dime, the smallest coin in our arsenal.... Focus and Exposure is far from perfect but you get the idea of magnification and distance.

Without the raynox at max maginification the focus distance is about 5.5 inches from the end of the barrel or 6 inches from the front element.
With the raynox the focus distance drops to 2.25 inches.

Vivi 105 at 5.5inches

Vivi + Raynox 250 focus distance 2.25 inches

I think part of the problem with the vivi 105 and any front mounted macro adaptors is the 1/2 inch of space from the front of the lens to the mount surface. That may just be too much distance between lens and macro adaptor. On the DA 50-200 the distance is much closer.

It would be great to see a 2x macro converter shot with the vivitar 105, the rear mount versions may work better.

Anyone got the vivi and a rear mount macro converter?
08-16-2008, 12:52 PM   #13

Thanks for posting all the pics and comparisons .. Very interresting!
08-16-2008, 06:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm curious--which one should I get for my A100/4 macro lens. On it's own, it does 1:2, but I'd like to take it to 1:1 without having to buy a whole new lens.

Thanks!
Heather
08-17-2008, 12:49 AM   #15
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=Igilligan;318570]Well I just did a quick and dirty test and the results were as I expected. I used a US Dime, the smallest coin in our arsenal.... Focus and Exposure is far from perfect but you get the idea of magnification and distance.

Without the raynox at max maginification the focus distance is about 5.5 inches from the end of the barrel or 6 inches from the front element.
With the raynox the focus distance drops to 2.25 inches.

Vivi 105 at 5.5inches

Vivi + Raynox 250 focus distance 2.25 inches

I think part of the problem with the vivi 105 and any front mounted macro adaptors is the 1/2 inch of space from the front of the lens to the mount surface. That may just be too much distance between lens and macro adaptor. On the DA 50-200 the distance is much closer.

It would be great to see a 2x macro converter shot with the vivitar 105, the rear mount versions may work better.

Anyone got the vivi and a rear mount macro converter

Thanks for the all the effort here. I suppose the magnification is at least 2:1 or more with the raynox.

I do have vivitar macro converter but it is loan to a friend(zeek)-will collect back and try it. Will post it some other day.

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I'm curious--which one should I get for my A100/4 macro lens. On it's own, it does 1:2, but I'd like to take it to 1:1 without having to buy a whole new lens.

Thanks!
Heather
Try getting vivitar macro converter with A contact as your is an A macro 100 f4.
Alternatively, panagor macro converter will do..

marcus