Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2008, 12:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Rumour: Voigtlander 125mm f2.5 macro SLII in production soon?

I had been hanging around some canon fora and some folks had been talking about a second version of this lens later on this year.

This lens is a good macro but I think the price is ridiculously high at the moment. After all, this lens is quoted this good simply because it was only 350 US dollars to start with...

I wonder what price the new macro would command...

Funny that the ebay price for this lens is just soooo high. It makes me take out this lens from the cabinet and play around a little.

350 US dollars for me

My rest of Voigtlander 125 macro images

Voigtlander 125L macro

09-14-2008, 02:18 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
That would be good news. Even if this is just a rumour, it would help me quell my crazy LBA for this lens. I almost plunked $1400 in an auction had I not lost for $25. If the rumour becomes true, that would be a thousand bucks saved.

Anyway, thanks for the thread as you are partly the cause of this insanity. I mean not you but your awesome Macro gallery. An A* 200 Macro also showed up a month ago, and this sent me into a temporary frenzy which had I not controlled myself would have broken the bank.

For now, the Sigma 70 and Vivitar 105 should keep the Bokeh- LBA in check.

Cheers.
09-14-2008, 03:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would like to believe that it is true! It is single - most wanted on my list for all of it's unique qualities...

I wanted this lens from the moment James posted his first photos, and I often come back to that thread for inspiration... It was expensive when I first saw it $799, but in stock, but I wasn't sure about shelling out that much money for non-AF lens. After deliberating for 5-6 months, and trying to track down my personal likes, desires and shooting habits, I realized, that I shoot in all manual about 80% of the time, and results from this lens with it's colors, bokeh and detail would allow me to use this lens for majority of my subjects of interest.

Sadly, lens was sold out everywhere, and last price I saw $1800 was ridiculous imo...

I will not lie, I even considered purchasing Canon 30D or 40D (not to change the brand all together) just so I can mount $1200 canon version that was still in stock at the place we all know.

So with that being said, I sincerely hope that there will be another production run of this lens in PKA, and the price remains reasonable, in my book it should stay under $1000 USD, actually in $700 range to be realistic.

Regards,
D
09-14-2008, 03:42 AM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
So with that being said, I sincerely hope that there will be another production run of this lens in PKA, and the price remains reasonable, in my book it should stay under $1000 USD, actually in $700 range to be realistic.

Regards,
D
I paid $689 for mine which included the funky square hood; I think that is a reasonable price. Mind you, even at that price, it is the single most expensive lens in my collection. I have been tempted a teeny bit lately to sell due to inflated Ebay prices, but just can't as I would miss the great images it helps me produce. I take little comfort in knowing I have a relatively rare lens, I think everyone should have the opportunity to use great lenses. But if it comes onto the market again - snag one fast!

Last edited by J.Scott; 09-14-2008 at 03:52 AM.
09-14-2008, 05:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have asked Voigtlander a few months ago, after the release of the the 40 and 58mm lenses if the 125 might be the next SLII lens. They told me that nothing was planned about new release of the 125mm.

But who knows, if the 40mm and 58mm sold well enough, they might be tempted in bringing out the 125mm. That would be great.
09-14-2008, 05:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

even though i would have no use for such a lens, i would still try to get one
09-14-2008, 07:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If true, the price of the original S1 version will probably come down to earth finally. Anyone thinking of selling theirs should probably act before any announcement, though

09-14-2008, 09:11 AM   #8

Where is the "canon fora?
09-15-2008, 01:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AlexJ Quote
That would be good news. Even if this is just a rumour, it would help me quell my crazy LBA for this lens. I almost plunked $1400 in an auction had I not lost for $25. If the rumour becomes true, that would be a thousand bucks saved.

Anyway, thanks for the thread as you are partly the cause of this insanity. I mean not you but your awesome Macro gallery. An A* 200 Macro also showed up a month ago, and this sent me into a temporary frenzy which had I not controlled myself would have broken the bank.

For now, the Sigma 70 and Vivitar 105 should keep the Bokeh- LBA in check.

Cheers.
I think the lens price is really really high. It actually hurts to see people going to commit so much money for this lens while vivitar macro is capable of producing macro shots that can be managed by Voigtlander macro. I think there are certain features of voigtlander macro that really stands out but these optical quality is not something that everyone could appreciate.

The second batch might be coming later this year and I am hooked on to get one just to see how it is going to be different (I doubt it)
09-15-2008, 01:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote

I will not lie, I even considered purchasing Canon 30D or 40D (not to change the brand all together) just so I can mount $1200 canon version that was still in stock at the place we all know.

Regards,
D
40D looks like a great camera ready to plummet its price when the 50D comes out. The good thing about canon is that the 2nd hand version of anything including camera bodies are just so cheap since there are so many people trying to sell them off with the new models are coming out.
09-15-2008, 01:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tcom Quote
I have asked Voigtlander a few months ago, after the release of the the 40 and 58mm lenses if the 125 might be the next SLII lens. They told me that nothing was planned about new release of the 125mm.

But who knows, if the 40mm and 58mm sold well enough, they might be tempted in bringing out the 125mm. That would be great.
I was informed by photography on the net forum member about this. He is usually quite reliable with news and a keen macro photographer. So I guess the production of this 125 macro is probably going to go ahead in the near future.
09-15-2008, 01:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

If true, the price of the original S1 version will probably come down to earth finally. Anyone thinking of selling theirs should probably act before any announcement, though
Maybe grab 3 copies and sell the other 2 when the prices come up further by the ebayers...

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
even though i would have no use for such a lens, i would still try to get one
Sure, more is better.
09-15-2008, 09:02 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mayor Quote
Where is the "canon fora?
Plural for forum...
09-23-2008, 06:45 AM   #14

Photos: Albums
new UK stock . . . ?

seen a new one of these for sale here in UK in M42 at Peter Walnes for £464 - nearly went for it, but really want K mount convenience. He's got a 180 Apo Lanthar listed for £206 - but that might be a typo, sorely tempted ! SRS in UK also have proper Pentax M42 adaptors

used photographic equipment used leica used cameras used nikon - SLR mount

when I got my 58mm Nokton recently from Robert White I asked about 125 Macro Voigtlander, the reply was non-commital but it was hinted that it would be worth a look at Photokina or a little after. Maybe Chiif would have an insight, does he lurk in here ?

If an SLII came to market in UK at similar cost to that M42 it will most definitely be on my Christmas list, if not then a Tamron 180 Macro may be my alternative choice
09-23-2008, 07:14 AM   #15
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Not if everyone all start saying the S1 one is soooo much better than the S2... regardless of whether that's true or not. actually, moreso to happen if it's not true. (j/k)