Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2009, 12:23 PM   #1

Helios 44m-5 is good for k10d?

i 'm finding info about "Helios 44m-5" (russian lens m42)

this lens has NOT auto\man switch, i know.

so, this lens is a "preset"???

please, can you give me more info if can i use a Helios 44m-5 in AV mode without limits (Aperture Priority), similar to a jupiter-9 ?

or i can use in AV mode only in wide open?

01-14-2009, 12:30 PM   #2

Original Poster
see here 2 images

(here you can see the body)

(here there is a "pin")
01-14-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If it does NOT have a manual switch, it will stay wide open if the pin in not depressed.

Since our bodies do not depress the pin (unfortunately), it will stay wide open.

I believe the 44-M 6 has a manual switch? Otherwise, you'll have to use the preset 44-2.
01-14-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

There's a few posts around here somewhere (check the russian lens club) that show you how to remove the pin so the lens can work in Av mode.

01-14-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by figmental1978 Quote
There's a few posts around here somewhere (check the russian lens club) that show you how to remove the pin so the lens can work in Av mode.
Yes, you can remove the pin or shim it from the back (requires partial disassembly) to convert the lens to fully manual diaphragm.

Steve
01-14-2009, 05:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

This is a replay from the other thread,
"About the manual aperture conversion, just unscrew the screws on the back, hold the pin from outside while lifting the back off, put a piece of a cotton swab plastic shaft onto the pin from inside, close it back. There you have your manual lens (done that on version -6 and -7)."

platinum,
your lens looks nice, hope you get along with the conversion. You end up with a 'manual' lens, so you'd have to click click click stop down to your chosen aperture after focussing full open (counting spares you the looking on the scale). Otherwise, you leave it stopped down and just focus and shoot in AV-mode. This depends on the amount of light and the f-stop obviously.

It's quite easy actually, just make sure that no screws or the aperture pin would drop inside the lens while tinkering,
Georg (the other)

PS: A 'preset' lens is an earlier generation lens, where you can preset the aperture and then just fully open and close to the preset value with a separate ring (and no click click click)
01-14-2009, 06:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kindai M42-> K-mount adapter

If you are lucky you may be able to find one of these little gems. It has a rear flange which depresses the aperture stopdown pin on M42 lenses when they are screwed onto the adapter, stopping them down to whatever aperture they are set at. I was very lucky to get one from China through the kind agency of a friend.

This adapter is the perfect solution to using M42 lenses without an auto/manual switch. It is very well made and fits into a K-mount body even better than the original Pentax adapter IMO, but it can still be removed with a fingernail.

Regards, Jim

02-19-2009, 11:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Kindai M42-> K-mount adapter

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesk8752 Quote
If you are lucky you may be able to find one of these little gems. It has a rear flange which depresses the aperture stopdown pin on M42 lenses when they are screwed onto the adapter, stopping them down to whatever aperture they are set at. I was very lucky to get one from China through the kind agency of a friend.

This adapter is the perfect solution to using M42 lenses without an auto/manual switch. It is very well made and fits into a K-mount body even better than the original Pentax adapter IMO, but it can still be removed with a fingernail.

Regards, Jim
Jim, I don't suppose you have a picture of this adapter, do you?
02-19-2009, 12:02 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jamesk8752 Quote

Regards, Jim
I guess this is the one Asahiflex adverted for on a Dutch forum. It sounds good. As for the question of the OP: yes, you use this Helios without any restriction if you do the mod on the pin as described by the other Georg. Somewhere in the catacombes of this forum you will find pictures on this mod too!
02-19-2009, 05:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Hey Jim, that adapter does sound very interesting, any more info would be much appreciated.