Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2009, 05:20 AM - 17 Likes   #1

300mm plus Lens Club: discuss your long lenses

Hi.

By popular demand , I want to start this club thread, can I do that?

So we can post pictures and stuff about F* or FA* 300mm lenses.

Some of them are already here:

SMC Pentax-F * 300mm f4.5 tripod collar - PentaxForums.com

Thanks.

Last edited by Ash; 12-27-2018 at 04:44 PM. Reason: added thumbnail
04-01-2009, 05:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just my thoughts but it seems like creating a "Club" thread just for one lens doesn't fit all the other clubs. They are generally for a series of lenses, such as the "M-Club", or the "Takumar Club." I believe that there is already an "F Club" (doesn't see much activity) but perhaps a better idea would be to create a "* Club" (if there isn't already one, I haven't checked). I'm not trying to antagonize and personally don't have anything against it but just making a suggestion based on what I have seen here at the forums.

-Jim

PS i'm looking for the F* 300/4.5 so let me know if you have one that needs a new home!
04-01-2009, 05:55 AM   #3

Original Poster
I am also looking for one..

I agree with you. It was a bit stupid opening a thread for just one or two lenses... so please, delete this thread.

Thanks.
04-01-2009, 05:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Here is the "F Club" thread. I did a quick search and didn't see a "* Club." Might be a good idea.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/39866-f-club.html

04-01-2009, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well I don't think it's a dumb idea. Obviously.

We have a lens review section, but it's not as active as the lens forum. And people have a propensity to name their threads in non-descriptive ways like "look what I just bought" or "LBA strikes again", which doesn't tell much about the content of the thread.

Or, as in the tripod collar thread, contains extraneous, yet interesting or valid information about a specific lens' attributes and performance that isn't hinted at in the headline.

I like the "club" threads because they concentrate specific lens topics into a thread that will immediately tell you what to find inside.

Which is basically an extended lens review that promotes a more nuanced discussion besides what you might find in the review section like "I just paid a bunch of money for this lens and that's probably why I think it's at least 8.5 out of 10" or "this lens sux 5/10".

I'll agree with the other poster and say that perhaps it's better to have a "star*" club instead. . . .but on balance, I prefer targeted threads.

my 2 cents.

I'd like to see more 'club' threads. Lenses that don't have a large user base will dither into obscurity -- but lenses that have a dedicated user base will thrive. And if you're looking for information about a particular lens, how it's used, and what people are doing with it, the specific threads are very pleasant to browse.
04-01-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm not sure it was a dumb idea - If I had one of these lenses, I'd post up... what I've seen before along these lines are threads titled, "Show me your F/FA* 300mm photos" or something similar.

Another handy resource for making yourself drool with lens lust is the pbase camera database. Check out the Pentax page at pbase, and you can link to hundreds of F/FA* 300mm photos (down toward the middle/bottom of the page).
04-01-2009, 09:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I didn't mean to imply that it was a dumb idea, but that it just didn't fit with all of the other "clubs" on the forum. That's all.

-Jim

04-01-2009, 09:18 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Why don't we change it to 300mm/400mm lens club so that many variants of prime are included. And we get to compare on cost, IQ, ease of use, MF vs AF and others. And use of TC on those tele-prime-lens

Thanks,
Hin
04-01-2009, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
Well, thanks all for your opinions and ideas, specially to konraDarnok who made me want to open a thread like this

You are right about the pentax database on this forum but it isn't much active, I have read all that it says many times and people sometimes dont bother to write in there.

I also think creating a "star*" club instead is a better idea, obviously a club for a single lens doesnt make much sense so it would be better opening minds a bit and talking at least about 300mm prime lenses or star lenses.

A thread like "Show me your F/FA* 300mm photos" is also a good idea but as heliphoto said we got pbase for that and sometimes it gets a bit boring, I prefer people debating about lenses, talking about using it with or without tripod mount, tricks about it, look my photo doing whatever, etc.

Cheers.
04-01-2009, 09:19 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Why don't we change it to 300mm/400mm lens club so that many variants of prime are included. And we get to compare on cost, IQ, ease of use, MF vs AF and others. And use of TC on those tele-prime-lens

Thanks,
Hin
Yeah, I agree!
04-01-2009, 09:32 AM   #11

Original Poster
The thread below was also really interesting, I would like to have all those opinions and experiences under a single thread dedicated to 300mm/400mm prime lenses:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/54839-quick-note-da-300-a.html
04-01-2009, 10:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arpaagent Quote
Just my thoughts but it seems like creating a "Club" thread just for one lens doesn't fit all the other clubs. They are generally for a series of lenses, such as the "M-Club", or the "Takumar Club." I believe that there is already an "F Club" (doesn't see much activity) but perhaps a better idea would be to create a "* Club" (if there isn't already one, I haven't checked). I'm not trying to antagonize and personally don't have anything against it but just making a suggestion based on what I have seen here at the forums.

-Jim
I would point out the Cosina 55mm 1:1.2 Club thread as a thread for a single lens type. Since it is a specialty lens and not many have it the thread itself doesn't get much action compared to the other clubs. The other clubs by their nature will be more busy than a specific lens thread. In any case I have neither the F/FA* 300mm lens nor do I have the Cosina 1:1.2 (or any f/1.2) lens. To those that do I hate you all
04-01-2009, 10:21 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
I would point out the Cosina 55mm 1:1.2 Club thread as a thread for a single lens type. Since it is a specialty lens and not many have it the thread itself doesn't get much action compared to the other clubs. The other clubs by their nature will be more busy than a specific lens thread. In any case I have neither the F/FA* 300mm lens nor do I have the Cosina 1:1.2 (or any f/1.2) lens. To those that do I hate you all
Good point. And we should have an "I hate you all" club!!
04-01-2009, 10:42 AM - 2 Likes   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Good point. And we should have an "I hate you all" club!!
Please, dont hate me, I started the thread but I dont have any of these lenses yet...
04-01-2009, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Then you could be a charter member!