Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2009, 11:23 AM   #1
Inactive Account

The Nikkor Lens Club!

Yes, I did a search, and no, even though there is every other lens club under the sun, I couldn't find any Nikon / Nikkor lens club in this section. (no Nikkor lens reviews in the third party section either) I did find only a couple threads on some Nikkor lenses. Like the 105, and a few posts by Jay.

Not to knock any of the other fine clubs out there, many of which I currently belong, and many more that I belonged to at some point in time!

So, here it is..... Gee, it got suddenly quiet out there all of a sudden.

OK, I'll go first then, here is the venerable Nikkor 24mm F2.8 AI close focus. This lens does not focus as closely as the Zeiss Distagon T*25 I have. This lens competes in sharpness with the Zeiss Distagon T*25, and leaves the Sigma 24 AF 2.8 superwide II far behind.

I like the coloring of this lens, good build, and the MF ring is dampened just enough, it turns easily and smoothly yet dampened and stays put, very easy and nice to focus.

(shot with the K20D) Exif data is strange depending upon whether I am stopped down or not, when I stop down it reads in Lightroom as "K or M lens". Wide open, it is "Unknown Lens"

More later!

F2.8

crop

F4.0

crop

... what? "Dark Side" ??!!?? Don't be silly...

Last edited by augustmoon; 05-14-2009 at 04:53 PM.
05-14-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was just thinking I didn't have enough lenses to want!

This thread moved... to Hell!!

j/k
05-14-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Just picked up a pair today. The fund came from the proceed of selling a Takumar 24mm F/3.5. There's still some money left ...

05-14-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'm interested in what you think of the 35/2. The reviews I found of that one swing in both extremes, so it was hard to tell.

Do you have others? Do you twist them on or convert the mount?

05-14-2009, 06:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by augustmoon Quote
I'm interested in what you think of the 35/2. The reviews I found of that one swing in both extremes, so it was hard to tell.

Do you have others? Do you twist them on or convert the mount?
I have a classic Nikkor-P 105mm F/2.5.

I also had a Nikkor*ED 180mm F/2.8. I thought I would keep it but after I found out how much it was regularly sold for on eBay, I sold it.

I just twist them on as is and use them for a while. If I decide to keep them then I'll think about modifying the mount.

How good is the 35/2? I just bought it today. After you asked, I took some test photos and compare them with photos taken with a "benchmark" lens. The benchmark lens's focal length is not 35mm but it's the only one "close enough" I happen to have here. See the test photos for yourself.

Each half (upper/lower) of each photo is from a different lens. There are two sets: FOO and BAR. The photos in each set are the same, with just the order swap (the "upper" lens in FOO becomes the "lower" lens in BAR). The filenames contain the aperture setting (e.g. A056.jpg is with F/5.6). All photos are JPEG files directly from a K10D, no post-processing.

Tell me which lens you like better, and I'll tell you what they are.

FOO:

https://viper.verific.com/WebSites/HoasPhotos/Nikkor35mmF2Test/FOO/A028.jpg
https://viper.verific.com/WebSites/HoasPhotos/Nikkor35mmF2Test/FOO/A056.jpg
https://viper.verific.com/WebSites/HoasPhotos/Nikkor35mmF2Test/FOO/A080.jpg
https://viper.verific.com/WebSites/HoasPhotos/Nikkor35mmF2Test/FOO/A110.jpg
https://viper.verific.com/WebSites/HoasPhotos/Nikkor35mmF2Test/FOO/A160.jpg
https://viper.verific.com/WebSites/HoasPhotos/Nikkor35mmF2Test/FOO/A220.jpg

BAR:

https://viper.verific.com/WebSites/HoasPhotos/Nikkor35mmF2Test/BAR/A028.jpg
https://viper.verific.com/WebSites/HoasPhotos/Nikkor35mmF2Test/BAR/A056.jpg
https://viper.verific.com/WebSites/HoasPhotos/Nikkor35mmF2Test/BAR/A080.jpg
https://viper.verific.com/WebSites/HoasPhotos/Nikkor35mmF2Test/BAR/A110.jpg
https://viper.verific.com/WebSites/HoasPhotos/Nikkor35mmF2Test/BAR/A160.jpg
https://viper.verific.com/WebSites/HoasPhotos/Nikkor35mmF2Test/BAR/A220.jpg

Last edited by SOldBear; 05-14-2009 at 06:42 PM.
05-14-2009, 07:05 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Awesome! That was fun, thanks for posting that test.

I'd say that I like the top of Foo and the bottom of Bar...
05-14-2009, 08:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

wow, looking good brian
did you have to make any adjustments to mount the lens? sure does look sharp

05-14-2009, 08:33 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
wow, looking good brian
did you have to make any adjustments to mount the lens? sure does look sharp
Hey..

No adjustments necessary to mount the lens, just stuck it in and rotated it a small amount, and it fits in snugly, but the rotation isn't that much, so not really stable for hardcore use. Then I focus at F2.8, and then set the aperture to the desired one (with camera in AV mode) fire away.

Hey, even Nikon owners can't use this lens with SR!

This is the AI or AI-S version of this lens, so it has this ridge protruding that keeps if from being flush (look below lower left), and keeps it just a hair away from infinity. If I were to decide to keep and use this lens on K, then I would need to grind that down, then I could swap the nikon mount out for a K mount (re-drill a couple holes in the K mount to line up, but it is aluminum). With the ridge completely ground down, then it actually would focus past infinity, so that would be okay for some lenses, but not good for a close focus or macro lens, as it would also set back the minimum focus as well. So you could add in a gasket or some type of shim to bring it back to proper register.

The older non-AI versions of the lenses, are a bit different, so then they rotate a bit further on their own and fit a bit more snugly, some actually locking in, and most will focus to or past infinity this way, so adding a shim, you could get pretty close to right on without even having to swap the mount.

These are the cheapest, though harder to find, but these older non-AI lenses can't be used on Nikon digital anymore. The AI and AIS can be and are, some are still made and sold new.

These older lenses, however, sometimes though aren't multicoated, some are, some aren't, some have more issues on digital then with ghosting and flare, and loss of contrast.

I think there might be a handful of "cult" lenses in this mount, however, that could prove to be really worthwhile, and not very expensive as well. I say this, but I still have a Leica I haven't gotten around to convert yet, either.
Attached Images

05-14-2009, 09:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I would love to get my hands on the Nikkor Micro 55mm. Can't find one at a decent price though. Anyone have one out there? Can anyone comment on it?
05-14-2009, 10:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by augustmoon Quote
I'd say that I like the top of Foo and the bottom of Bar...
Not surprising. That's the Pentax DA40 Limited 1:2.8.

But the Nikkor 35mm 1:2.0 is not bad at all. The color rendering is a bit too cool. But post-processing can take care of that easily, especially if shooting RAW.
05-14-2009, 11:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
augustmoon The Nikkor Lens Club!
I think it is great that you guys are posting these very nice images here. It is great to see such a nice pairing of two great systems. But, how about something more neutral for naming the club? Something like "Pentikon Lens Club" might do?

QuoteQuote:
Soldbear: Each half (upper/lower) of each photo is from a different lens. There are two sets: FOO and BAR. The photos in each set are the same, with just the order swap (the "upper" lens in FOO becomes the "lower" lens in BAR). The filenames contain the aperture setting (e.g. A056.jpg is with F/5.6). All photos are JPEG files directly from a K10D, no post-processing.
Wow, you are really taking off with this Nikon glass--kudos to you. You are opening new doors for all of us here. Glad you made some money on the 180 f 2.8, but I was looking forward to more images from that baby. Anyway, your new wide angle acquisitions make up for it--thanks.
05-14-2009, 11:48 PM   #12
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
my nikkor entry...
05-15-2009, 12:20 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
levelred: my nikkor entry...
Very nice shots with the Tokina in Nikon mount. I think the bokeh is fine. It may look a little funny in that first shot because of the sticks, at various distances, scattered throughout the image. Talk about a serendipitous happening though!
05-16-2009, 02:40 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Nikkor Micro 55 F3.5 AI Micro

Upon getting the Nikkor 28 F2.8. I decided not to keep this Nikkor Micro 55 F3.5, as the Nikkor 28 actually focuses in closer, and I already have the Voigtlander APO Lanthar 125 for serious macro stuff, but this is a very sharp lens.

Nikon doesn't call this macro, but micro, I guess because it only goes 1:2. I think that in the 1:2 range for 50-something that the Pentax A-50 F2.8 macro is probably the best buy. (it has been over 15 years since I used one, but from memory, the color and contrast and detail from the Pentax A series was wonderful)

More info on this lens can be found here (this lens is referred to as the auto compensating aperture model) Special Lenses For Nikon 'F' Mount

But these Nikkor 55 jobbies can be had for about $100 or so. The F3.5 AI version came before the AIS F2.8 version, and what Nikon did, was, to fit the marketplace better, was that they modified the optical design so that the newer F2.8 AIS version performs better at distances with some sacrifice at the closer distances, as most people were purchasing this lens as a normal 50-ish lens and didn't care about close in as much. (?? that didn't make any sense to me, either, why buy a micro if you want to use it at distance?)

here's one (and then a 100% crop) from my test violets, remember folks that my mini indoor garden is NOT sponsored by Pentax, these are my own African Lens Test Violets, I pay for them myself, and my wife waters them... the focus is on the little fuzzies on the left side of the petal. This is F4, on a tripod, and I used live view to focus.

Attached Images

05-16-2009, 07:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't suppose any of you have tried one of the 85mm Nikkor lenses yet? I've been looking for a fast manual 85 and I wouldn't mind expanding my list of possibilities.