Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #46

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteQuote:
You have two problems:
  • The weird focus ring
  • Infinity focus on the Nikon
The focus ring can be sanded, ground, or machined down. The distance is not very much (a few millimeters) and can be measured by noting the offset from the actual mounting flange. I would probably go as far as the start of the knurling.

As for infinity focus...Nikon cameras have an infinity focus registration just a little bit more than that for M42 (+1.0mm). As a result, M42 lenses do not adapt to Nikon without an auxiliary optic on the rear of the adapter. Unfortunately, that optic often results in image degradation. Solutions vary according to the lens in question. On some lenses (e.g. Zenitar 16/2.8), infinity "run-out" is easily adjustable according to the position of the focus ring itself. This is may be the case with your Helios 44-3. If the "stop" is part of the focus ring, you should be able to simply reassemble the ring so that the index is a little shy of the infinity mark. It will take some trial and error, but might work. (It helps to confirm the infinity focus using a film body with a split-image finder as a reference.)

Again, any other forum members are encouraged to add their advice!

Steve
Ok, so to get a Helios 44-3 with a receded mount on a Nikon or Pentax body with infinity focus, you sand off the portruding part of the focus ring, reassemble the focus ring then mount it to the camera body using an M43→DSLR (no infinity element) adapter?

Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks!

05-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #47

Photos: Gallery
Helios 44-3 - you can use it with Pentax original type (non flanged) adapter with infinity focus too. It just does not stay screwed on too well specially if you have not re-greased the sometimes very stiff focus mechanism.
With flanged adapter no problem if you do not need infinity focus. That is how I use mine.
BTW it is M42 (just to avoid confusion).
03-14-2012, 02:01 AM   #48
Forum Member

I am planning on buying the 44-3 however I would prefer not to grind it back. I have a Pentax K-x camera with the official Pentax M42 adaptor ring.

My question is, are certain serial number ranges deemed to be safe? Has anyone else had any experiences with the same setup?

Failing that, I'll probably stick with the 44-2 or 44K-4 (if I can find one in my price range).
03-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #49
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxwolfie Quote
I am planning on buying the 44-3 however I would prefer not to grind it back. I have a Pentax K-x camera with the official Pentax M42 adaptor ring.

My question is, are certain serial number ranges deemed to be safe? Has anyone else had any experiences with the same setup?

Failing that, I'll probably stick with the 44-2 or 44K-4 (if I can find one in my price range).
At one point, there was some consensus on serial number ranges, though I don't believe that is currently the case. The best solution is to check the photos of the lens base. If there is a clearance issue, it should be obvious.

Speaking of prices...I did a little look-see on eBay recently and was shocked at the high asking prices for the various Helios 44 versions, particularly the 44-3. A few years ago the vendors were selling these lenses in lots of 10 for less than $100 USD for the lot. In fact, the market for all M42 stuff has pretty much gone crazy. Must be all the mirror-less camera people buying stuff up.

Steve

03-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #50
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
At one point, there was some consensus on serial number ranges, though I don't believe that is currently the case. The best solution is to check the photos of the lens base. If there is a clearance issue, it should be obvious.

Speaking of prices...I did a little look-see on eBay recently and was shocked at the high asking prices for the various Helios 44 versions, particularly the 44-3. A few years ago the vendors were selling these lenses in lots of 10 for less than $100 USD for the lot. In fact, the market for all M42 stuff has pretty much gone crazy. Must be all the mirror-less camera people buying stuff up.

Steve
Thanks, the response from the seller is that the focus-ring and the mount-flange are at the same height...

If the focus ring and mount flange are at the SAME height, you'd think it would still rub - Would the focus ring not have to "end" before the mount flange, to ensure no rub? This would allow a very small clearance (0.5-1mm or something) at least, rather than none.

Can I purchase this lens with no worry?

EDIT: Side note, does anyone know what dia. UV filter will work with these lenses (or type, if there are multiple types?)

Last edited by maxwolfie; 03-14-2012 at 06:34 PM.
03-15-2012, 01:43 AM   #51
Forum Member

Quick update:

I think I may have found a solution to this problem (read above). The Helios 44-3M lens seems to have 8 blades, MC, it's present, AND it seems to be different to the 44-3 in that the focus ring is further forward, thereby ensuring no chance of rubbing on the camera body/adapter ring.

Thoughts? Looking for responses sooner rather than later, I'm eying a particular lens on a particular forum

EDIT: Damn, looks like the 44-3M won't focus as closely (1.5m according to someone's eBay sale). 0.45-0.5 is the standard for the 44-2 and 44-3, I think from memory.

The lens seems to have some detachable section that is used for macro purposes. I don't quite understand it, but I assume that's what is causing the change in minimal focal distance. More info here.

Last edited by maxwolfie; 03-15-2012 at 01:53 AM.
03-15-2012, 11:51 PM   #52
Forum Member

This is driving me nuts - Does anyone know of a sure-fire way of ensuring that I'm buying the right type - WITHOUT having to deal with Ukrainians/Russians and the massive language barrier?
Serial number ranges, other markings etc?

03-16-2012, 05:58 AM   #53

If you want just experiment with Helios lens get 44k4 or 44m4/ 44M6 since you have the adapter ring already. I got these lenses in almost any shape and size and I keep just 44k4 because the ease of mounting. But I do not use it. These are sharp and all the cheap and interesting bokeh, but color is dull/gray (all of the 8 items were the same) and are often manufactured under the influence. So no much of excitement on my side any more. And do not pay more that 5USD for 44M4 and 15USD for 44K4; 44M5; 44M6. Do not buy 44M7 it may not work on Pentax body.
Helios 44 with 13 blades is maybe interesting and better made, but the price is too crazy.
04-20-2012, 05:31 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just got a Helios M44-7. Do you have any suggestions on how to convert from automatic to a manual aperture operation? Thanks.
04-20-2012, 08:28 PM   #55
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
I just got a Helios M44-7. Do you have any suggestions on how to convert from automatic to a manual aperture operation? Thanks.
There are a number of Web pages that illustrate the procedure, but here is one on this site:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/57058-helios-4...onversion.html
Instead of twisting a paper clip, you can also use a short length of fine wire insulation, a cut length of WD-40 snorkel, a cut length of coffee stirrer or anything else that can be fashioned into a spacer.

Steve
04-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Thanks Steve. I apologize for the tardy response, my computer was broken. The lens I have had the pin missing. However when I took the back cover off I see that the pin only pushed down a small lever. By putting a piece of foam in to keep the lever depressed the lens works in manual mode. I feel this may even be a simpler alternative than modifying the pin.
04-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #57
Veteran Member

I have a Helios 44-3 that fits the K5, K7, K20, and K10 (i've used it on each). Here are pics of the lens. If you are contemplating buying one, just as the seller for a close-up of the flange/mount. If its flush, the lens will fit. You should also be aware that quality varies. mine has the sloppiest aperture ring you could ever imagine but works fine. For $45, i can't complain and the images are nice.

06-09-2012, 10:39 PM - 2 Likes   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is how I did it!

By the time I read this thread, I had already ordered a nice 44-3 with the receded mount ring. So, I got lemons and decided to make lemonade. Notice that NOT ALL HELIOS 44-3 need to be adjusted, I believe only those whose serial number starts with 86xxx or earlier/lower. (Read this thread from the beginning and do not panic, it is not a big deal). The truth is that it took me only about one hour and 20 minutes to do the whole operation. I needed a small screwdriver that I got from Home Depot, emery (metal sand paper), and calipers to measure the amount to grind. BTW, the sanding takes too long, so I changed in the middle of the process to a file, since I have several, I did not have to buy one. Here are some pics of the whole process:

0) This is how the original lens came, with the recessed mount ring. It could not be mounted on a Pentax camera,

1) First, you measure how much you have to grind. (Note: I forgot to take photos prior to start, so I had to recreate the beginning when I started. Notice that surface is no longer black, it is because it already has several passes over the emery).

2) Losen the three screws that hold the focus ring (do not remove them, you may lose them)

3) Remove the focus ring and make sure the screws are all the way in to avoid losing them

4) Make sure the lens is in infinite when you unscrew (not that it matter, but to help you remember). The three screws will have small marks etched onto the lens, so you will be able to use them as a guide line.

5) Make sure you protect the lens while you are working on the focus ring:

6) Start grinding against the emery (metal sand paper). Try to use steady pressure, circular movements to make sure your cut is even throughout.

7) The emery will start "eating" the aluminum quickly (so, I thought). See how shining it looks?

8) Well, it was taking too long, and I have some experience with the file, so I decided to use it:

9) File is quick. However, make sure you are grinding evenly the circumference of the filter ring.

10) Now, put the focus ring back. You have to put the lens in the infinite position, that is when the lens is smaller. Then match the infinite sign on the filter ring with the center of the scale. You will find that the screws will match their own bed. Once done, examine the lens to ensure the job is done:

11) Finally, mount the lens on the camera. Make sure you have the genuine Pentax M42-K adapter on the camera already. Screw the lens and voila, look at the beauty:

12) Now, let's see some examples of the photos taken with this lens. It is important to clarify that when I got the lens, I could not screw the lens all the way in. Therefore, I could not focus to near or infinite. I could not take any photos. After the job is done, these are some quick samples taken with my K5:

===========
EDIT: JUST TO ADD MORE PHOTOS

Last edited by Pepe Guitarra; 06-11-2012 at 09:32 AM.
06-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cool. Maybe I should pick one up and machine down the focus ring!
06-09-2012, 10:59 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Straight from the Freemasonic camera club, eh?