Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-26-2010, 09:04 AM   #1

New Ebay 50mm f1.7 Lens

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Anyone hear or tried this new brand of lens for Pentax?

HorusBennu 50mm F1.7 Lens for Pentax PK
NEW HorusBennu 50mm F1.7 Lens for Pentax PK + UV Filter - eBay, Lenses, Lenses Filters, Cameras Photo. (end time 15-Feb-10 16:40:11 AEDST)

Its a full manual lens with full aperture ring, without the A setting from the looks of it.

I seems to think it looks like the old Polar lens I used to own.

01-26-2010, 09:50 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Great price on a new lens.

It appears to use the proven Tessar design. I'm sure it will be a great performer, a good option to share between a K-7 or other digital and a ME Super or K1000.

How does a used Pentax 50 1.7 compare, pricewise?
01-26-2010, 09:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If you check out the field accessories section, you'll find Horusbennu discussed regarding their Arca-type tripod/head knock-offs (the knockoff line goes Arca-->Markins-->Photoclam-->Horusbennu). The 1st 3 on that list have become solid viable products, with the horusbennu too new to decide at this point.

Certainly doesn't mean this lens won't be a decent product (and this certainly isn't a knock-off, just a new lens), but I think in this case if you want to give it a shot, you'll be the guinea pig. That means you'll have to do a follow-up review as well!

Not sure about Australian pricing, but that is about what I would expect to pay for a very good-excellent copy of a Pentax A SMC 50mm F1.7, so you're probably better off sticking to the real deal (or like I said, being the guinea pig!)
01-26-2010, 10:23 AM   #4

I think it looks like the Vivitar current kit lens (check their website). I agree with pxpaulx regarding the tried and true Pentax A version which, all thing considered, should be a better one.

Peter

01-26-2010, 10:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

They could have at least made it into an "A" lens so it would be more tempting!
Anybody tried this?
Looks like psychedelic bokeh which would be nice for some effects.
01-26-2010, 11:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

lol'in at the Limited*
01-26-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm wondering how long it'll take some smart Chinese company to muscle in on the lens market... surprised they havent done so already

01-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
lol'in at the Limited*
I'm LOLling at "HORUSBENNU is the most powerful Korean brand." Move over Samsung!

And the price is a bit steep for a fully manual 50, IMHO. If you go to a photo swapmeet, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting, I dunno, 20 or more perfectly good used 50mm lenses, usually for much less money.
01-26-2010, 01:37 PM   #9
tux
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
I'm LOLling at "HORUSBENNU is the most powerful Korean brand." Move over Samsung!

And the price is a bit steep for a fully manual 50, IMHO. If you go to a photo swapmeet, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting, I dunno, 20 or more perfectly good used 50mm lenses, usually for much less money.
Agree. I just wish it were a decent auto focus 1.7 for $70
01-26-2010, 06:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

lol'in at the Limited*
Sample images : produced by PANTAX K100

01-26-2010, 07:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wshi Quote
Sample images : produced by PANTAX K100

I suppose you haven't heard about PANTEX yet !
01-26-2010, 08:16 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For $70 USD (approx.), I would get a Pentax-M 50/1.7 and spend the money saved on something else.

Steve
01-26-2010, 09:31 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

lol'in at the Limited*
The most interesting thing is that some company sees a reason to target Pentax users directly, even borrowing the weather-resistant claim.

I think this lens must be a repackaged lens from someone else like Vivitar. If it was a new design, they could have added an A contact or even eliminated the aperture ring altogether, inventing sort of a DA-manual focus line.
01-26-2010, 10:15 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The most interesting thing is that some company sees a reason to target Pentax users directly, even borrowing the weather-resistant claim.

I think this lens must be a repackaged lens from someone else like Vivitar. If it was a new design, they could have added an A contact or even eliminated the aperture ring altogether, inventing sort of a DA-manual focus line.
You mean something like the lens on this camera?

$169 as a kit at B&H!

I like it that with the HorusBennu version you get both a * and a limited lens! Woo! Hoo!

Steve

(Actually, the Vivitar is sort of a cool camera...fully mechanical with DOF preview, 1/2000s shutter, self-timer, and multi-exposure...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-26-2010 at 10:25 PM.
01-27-2010, 01:41 AM   #15

I live in Korea and have seen many Horusbennu branded accessories on local online shops. I have bought their extension tube and wanting to buy one of the many tripods they offer. Not that I can vouch for their quality, but its the price that attracted me (although honestly I'm quite convinced with their tripods). Funnily, on local shops it's always listed as Chinese brand, but the website (from the other Horusbennu thread) is indeed in Korean and the company introduction also states that they're local Korean company so I don't know.

Back to the lens. Here is the lens on a Korean online shop:

Gmarket - Buy and Sell Apparel, Cosmetics, Jewelry, Electronics & more at low price
(Price is cheaper than ebay but international shipping cost is not free)

Right before the sample pics, it's stated (in Korean): The sample picture is taken with Pentax K100D camera and Phoenix 50mm 1.7 lens.

There you go Phoenix is just another name for Vivitar / Polar / Samyang lens. And I also agree the price is too high, well the price is 'normal' in Korea, the Pentax A 50mm 1.7 price is easily sold twice this lens price. But since you don't live in Korea might as well get other, better lens with cheaper price on ebay.