Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Video Software

Since this is a new realm for many here, it seems like a good idea to make a couple of sticky threads here. Two I can think of off the top of my head are "video software" and "music" (i.e. where to get either free or paid music to add to video).

To start things off I use all free video software at this point.

VirtualDub is totally free and does all the basic stuff to do with the actual video file. You can change the encoding (to anything installed on your computer), you can change the audio quality (or add a audio file), you can change the frame rate and you can edit the start and end of your video file.

If you want to do a fusion video combining still photos (in a slide show) with your video you can use something called Photo Story to create the slide show in a WMV format. You can change the transition timing and transition effects and add music to your slideshow (not something you probably want to do if you are intending on doing a fusion video later on).

Windows Movie Maker (already installed on your PC) will bring all your videos together with some simple transitions between segments. Unfortunately the output resolution of this software is NOT HD.

Anyway - I'm no expert on this stuff but this is some of the free stuff I've discovered. I'd love to hear what other people have found and are using.

09-13-2009, 11:33 PM   #2
Forum Member

My workhorse program is mpeg streamclip, which has a robust set of conversion options, a good resizing filter, easy to trim files, change frame rates and generate interframes, makes basic color/contrast/saturation adjustments, and a bit more. I love how I also can drop several files onto it and it puts them together as one video. Nice. And it's free and available for mac and windows. Now if it just had a color noise filter to get rid of the rare color aliasing it'd be as perfect as you could ever expect from freeware. Instead I have to go into poky photoshop and do it (and lose the audio)
09-13-2009, 11:36 PM   #3
Forum Member

Oh and of course iMovie HD for editing, I love some of the features of iMovie '08 (like stabilization) but never could get into the interface, so I just import a selection for that purpose and then send it back out again to HD. Am giving FCE a try, it's pretty overwhelming right now
09-14-2009, 03:58 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm just using iMovie '09. I may try FCE if I get more serious, but for now my needs are being met in iMovie.

09-15-2009, 03:32 AM   #5

I think iMovie 09 is great, but it bugs me that I can't create my own themes. Any ideas on how to hack this, or should i just give up and move to Final Cut?
09-30-2009, 04:43 PM   #6

i've done a couple of timelapse "videos" so i've been looking for decent video editing software for windows and have been coming up short.

i tried adobe premier elements 8 and found the learning curve to be fairly high but more importantly it's just really, really slow on my "old" "core 2 duo" machine with a 7200rpm disk.

so far windows live movie maker (which differs from windows movie maker... sigh... ms sucks at naming their products) to be the best option. the regular movie maker sucks and picasa, which i expected to do well, was useless as it won't transition from frame to frame at a rate faster than 1 second.

so..... i will try mpeg streamclip but in the meantime does anyone have any other suggestions?