Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

NSFW: Reviews of Photography Books, DVD's & Websites

My threads on these subjects seem to get lost from lack of replies. So I decided to make one thread for me or anyone else to keep adding books, DVD's or websites on photography too. That way the thread can get bumped hopefully and not lost.

Review of: 'American Horizons: The Photographs of Art Sinsabaugh'

A PBS DVD on photographer Art Sinsabaugh. He used a 12 x 20 banquet camera as his 'go to' cam . Had a unique style, he would cut the image down to 1 inch by 20 inches or so to make long panoramas. (Although he hated the word panorama.)

I have to laugh at the guys nowadays that complain that their zoom lens on their dslr is too heavy to lug. ..

It is a worthwhile DVD as well as book to get from your library. Don't miss the special feature on the DVD containing an audio only interview of Art Sinsabaugh with a slide show of his photos.

Sinsabaugh Photographs

Last edited by slackercruster; 08-08-2012 at 01:38 PM.
04-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Book: 'Rethinking Digital Photography' by John Neel

http://www.amazon.com/Rethinking-Digital-Photography-Traditional-Contemporar...4164728&sr=8-1

Interesting book for the creative photogs. From pinhole photos to making 360 degree planetary photos. This book really goes to extremes to cover artistic areas of photography one would never think of. Priced pretty cheap as a closeout...$9 Or get it from your library.
04-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Book : The Photographer's eye by Michael Freeman

An excellent, complete book on composition. The author is an excellent photographer and a very good teacher. Each composition aspect (golden rule, contrasting colours, lens choices, you name it) is covered in 2 or sometimes 4 pages, with lots of examples. The broad range of topics are organised in chapters and start with the more basic, building to the more complex, including colour theory and such. A great book!
04-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. I ordered it from the library. It must be a pretty popular book, there are a number of people in line for it.

They also has two others by that same name:

The photographer's eye.
by Szarkowski, John
New York : Museum of Modern Art; distributed by Doubleday, Garden City, N.Y., [1966]
Subjects Photography, Artistic
Description: 155 p. 24 cm.

The Photographer's eye
[s.l.] : PBS Video, 1989.
Subjects Photography
Documentary films
Series Creativity with Bill Moyers.
Summary: "This program looks at the creative impulse in the art of photography. Moyers observes that the camera is only a machine without the individual behind the lens, all pictures would look the same. However, photographs indicate that each of us sees objects differently and nowhere is this more apparent than in the work of two very different photographers, Emmet Gowin and Garry Winogrand."
Description: 1 videocassette (30 min.): sd., col.; 1/2 in.
Notes: VHS

I had seen the Moyers video before. It was OK, just doable by me. Will also get the Szarkowski book. They don't cost much...just some gas to pick them up!

I hope all you guys use your online library resources. I'm lucky and have 2 bordering states libraries I use. so can get almost anything with interstate and interlibrary loans.

04-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Book; Lonely Planet Travel Photography: A Guide to Taking Better Pictures

By:Richard I'Anson

Amazon.com: Lonely Planet Travel Photography: A Guide to Taking Better Pictures (How to) (9781741041842): Richard I'Anson: Books

Decent book for the beginner interested in travel photography. Author takes you around the world with lots of example photographs and techniques. Book covers film as well as digital. Most of that will be too basic for the seasoned photog. But lots of inspiration for trying new things for newbie as well as pro. Book also gives lots of references to other books in the areas being discussed. Get it from your library....they are coming out with a new edition of this book. So look for it soon!
04-22-2012, 05:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Book: Pro Secrets to Dramatic Digital Photos

Amazon.com: Pro Secrets to Dramatic Digital Photos (A Lark Photography Book) (9781600596384): Jim Zuckerman: Books

Great book for beginner or advanced photogs. Gives lots of creative inspiration and examples from a wide range of topics.

Last edited by slackercruster; 04-22-2012 at 06:02 AM.
04-23-2012, 06:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Book: Joy of Digital Photography

Amazon.com: The Joy of Digital Photography (A Lark Photography Book) (0661741005787): Jeff Wignall: Books

Dated, but still worthwhile book. Esp good for the beginner. But book still offers enough material to keep the advanced photog happy.

Gave a great historical fully illustrated rundown of the rise of the digital age. I also like the comparison photos showing how JPEG degrades with continual saving of the image. Seeing it put it in perspective for me.

Lots of quotes of photographic philosophy sprinkled throughout book. I loved this one..."The camera is an instrument that teaches people to see without a camera." Dorthea Lange

Get it from your library.

04-24-2012, 08:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Book: World Photography

Amazon.com: World Photography (9780600372448): Bryn Campbell: Books

An oldy but goody. Covers 25 great photogs of their time. I esp liked the interviews and background bios on each one. Lets you into their mindset with what photography means to them as well as their technique. Plenty of photos showcasing their work.

Got mine from the library. But still a worthwhile bargain purchase if yours does not stock it.
04-25-2012, 06:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Book: Creative Composition

Amazon.com: Creative Composition: Digital Photography Tips and Techniques (9780470527146): Harold Davis: Books

Decent book on the subject. Had an interesting distorted baby photo with a fisheye that wowed me. Lots of creative illustrations to spur your experimentation hunger. Get it from your library.
04-25-2012, 06:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Book: Experimental Digital Photography

Amazon.com: Experimental Digital Photography (Lark Photography Book) (9781600595172): Rick Doble: Books

Didn't like it. If you aspire to be an 'artist' then it may appeal to you. I'm a documentary photog, not an artist. I do not like manipulating the subject matter excessively. About 75% of the photos in this book were photo abstracts that you could not decipher well.
04-25-2012, 06:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
DVD: Born into Brothels

IMDb - Born Into Brothels: Calcutta's Red Light Kids (2004)

Worthwhile dvd to get from your library. Showcases photog Zana Briski and her 'Kids with Cameras' charity. Some great shots from these Indian kids. About 2/3 of the film is photo related, the rest deals with the charity.
04-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Photography | The Art Institute of Chicago

Nice resource for viewing fine art photography. Don't miss the link to Irving Penn's work
04-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nature Photography
Insider Secrets from the World's Top Digital Photography Professionals

By Chris Weston...

If you constantly get confused by forum discussions of RAW vs JPEG, magnification, Field of View, depth of field etc. this guy is really good at simplifying the issues to make them easily understandable and his illustrations are easy to understand and too the point. A great general photography book. If you ever wondered how many colour gradations there are on jpeg (8 bit = 256 shades of each of the RGB channels) while 12 bit RAW has over 4000 and 16 bit 65,000, or what lens your eye uses (approx 42 mm) and why that's important... and a slew of other interesting tidbits, he covers them all. The Nature Photography tips are good, but this book stands out as a great general knowledge book and is much more clear and (therefore) informative than many more pretentious books.
05-01-2012, 05:07 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
DVD: 'Manufactured Landscapes'

Zeitgeist Films | Manufactured Landscapes

Film just touches on photography so is not what I thought it would be.
Pretty boring for me. I didn't finish the film, but I got ADD. You may
like it better.

Read the synopsis at the website and decide if it is for you. I would
not recommend you buy it. Get it from your library.
05-03-2012, 07:42 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Book: 'The Photographers Eye' 1965

Loaded with high quality old time photogravure prints from various photogs from the 1800's to the 1960's. A nice book to flip through to see what the M.O.M.A. had set aside as distinguished pix to include in their book. Get it from your library, well worthwhile.

Photog : Peter Buckley 1957 From 'The Photographers Eye' 1965 M.O.M.A. photogravure

(Copied with Kodak PS cam)