Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2010, 08:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
the benefits of Unregulated Business (Communist style)

China, ironically, seems like a perfect case study of business behavior in an unregulated manufacturing environment. We keep getting contaminated goods... here's the Drywall Snafu:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/18/business/18drywall.html?src=me

QuoteQuote:
The Hunters are among thousands of homeowners in 38 states who have been searching for alternate housing because of worries about drywall in their homes that emits sulfur fumes and, many believe, makes them sick.

Many of the homeowners have bought or rented a second home, an expense that has pushed some to the brink. Others have had no choice but to sell at a big loss. Still others have continued living in their homes with air-conditioners running full blast to hold down the rotten-egg odor.

“My property right now has no value — it’s toxic,” said Aiasha Johnson, 30, a school teacher who lives with her husband and two children in Deerfield Beach, Fla., near Fort Lauderdale. Besides running the air-conditioning, Ms. Johnson said she painted the walls frequently to mitigate the smell.

“I can’t sell it. I can’t do anything,” she said.

Complaints about the drywall, or wallboard, which was mostly made in China, first surfaced a few years ago, and hundreds of lawsuits have been filed in state and federal court to recover money to replace it. The federal Consumer Product Safety Commission has received 3,500 complaints about the drywall and says it believes thousands more have not reported the problem.

But so far the relief has been negligible. Most insurance companies have yet to pay a dime. Only a handful of home builders have stepped forward to replace the tainted drywall. Help offered by the government — like encouraging lenders to suspend mortgage payments and reducing property taxes on damaged homes — has not addressed the core problem of replacing the drywall. And Chinese manufacturers have argued that United States courts do not have jurisdiction over them.

I say, let the Tea Partiers move to China for a taste of what they want for America, if they think our country is so wrong. That's right, right wingers: This is America, love it or leave it, bud, and go to China where they think like you.

(I'm LMAO at that! Always wanted to turn that one around...)

09-19-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
China, ironically, seems like a perfect case study of business behavior in an unregulated manufacturing environment. We keep getting contaminated goods... here's the Drywall Snafu:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/18/business/18drywall.html?src=me

I say, let the Tea Partiers move to China for a taste of what they want for America, if they think our country is so wrong. That's right, right wingers: This is America, love it or leave it, bud, and go to China where they think like you.

(I'm LMAO at that! Always wanted to turn that one around...)
Just out of curiosity what proof or statement do you have from the any Tea Party literature did you gleen this wonderful fact from? I didn't realize that criticism of the government when it is done by liberals is your democratic duty but then a conservative criticizes the government then they are calling it wrong? I never remember any Tea Party member ever praising China as a model that we should follow either but then again maybe i missed it.

You want to attack the government for not enforcing the regulations between the US and China maybe you can begin with Clinton who granted them Most Favored Nation status forever in 2000. Thereby removing the largest stick we had agasint them that being the ability to lower there status and impose restrictions on them for things like this.
09-19-2010, 02:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Please, check the LMAO part. Of course I don't really think that, I just found it hit my funny bone to be able to turn the tables on that old conservative 'hippie pinko liberals hate America so much' crap, when said hippie pinko liberals offer criticism.

But perhaps it does offer something educational: how's it feel when you get labeled and invited to leave the country for a inaccurate and caricatured version of your views? (by 'you' I don't mean you-you gokenin in particular, but those 'you's' who've engaged in that behavior in the past.)

It really hurts our feelings to be called unpatriotic and to be invited to leave.

sheesh. I gotta go watch football
09-19-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

tell me your not a Jets fan I was never one of those leave the country people I have always felt if you feel you can do better then help to change things if you don't and you only complain then please be quiet. On a side note I have thought of maybe moving out of country but I have no unique job skills that would allow me to move anywhere I am afraid

09-19-2010, 03:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I do prefer the Jets over the Patriots... though I like the Patriots. Anything but the Cowboys and the Redskins (I grew up in Philly, so I inherited the Giants...)

Canada does seem like it has a lot going for it. Right now however, I'm trying to figure out which direction the economy is going for the next 10-12 years and trying to position myself into it. Ha! Good luck with that
09-19-2010, 06:23 PM   #6
Forum Member

I can see November from my back porch!
Tall glass of tea anyone?