Feb 25, 2012

DIY: A Pentax Underwater Case

Introduction

In this article I will show how you can put a Pentax DSLR, such as the K200D, in an underwater case.

Everything started when I get the idea to take my camera underwater. At first I consider to buy a plastic waterproof bag, but I was affraid to put my camera in that, so I started browsing for an underwater case for Pentax. After some research, I found out that there are no underwater cases made specifically for Pentax DSLRs, and if it were available, it would be extremly expensive.

Fortunately, during the searching process I learned of a few brands specializing in underwater products, and found that Sea&Sea is very good manufacturer.

Just out of curiosity I started to browse their products on eBay to see what would pop up, and this yielded some itnerested results: A Sea&Sea 28-70mm K-mount lens, new old stock, for only $40. I found this intruguing, so I decided to find out what camera this lens belonged to. It was Sea&Sea SX-1000 camera, which looked to me like some old rebranded Pentax or Ricoh camera, so I decided to take a chance and bought the lens.

Meanwhile I found the dimensions of the this camera and compared them to those of my Pentax K200D, and they were pretty close.  Thus, I decided to buy the whole underwater system.  This system consisted of a case, the SX-1000 camera, a flat port, a base plate, and a flash.  Later I bought a second copy of this same system in order to have some spare parts and get a different lens (a 90mm F2.8 macro). The system is rated for a depth of 60 meters (about 200 feet), which is quite good.

Table of Contents

System Overview

Now, let's take a look at the system itself. First is the original adapter plate (figure 1) and modified plate (figure 2).

The original plate could not be easily modified, and it wouldn't center the camera, so I had to make a new one myself out of wood.  Ugly, but completely functional!

In figures 3-6 you can see the plate.  Notice how the hole is elongated; this is so that the camera can be moved around a bit to adjust its position.

fb.com/PentaxForums PentaxForums +Pentax Forums @PentaxForums News | Reviews | Forum

Support Pentax Forums Donate to Pentax Forums Support Pentax Forums