Review statistics for stillshunter
Accessories Added 0  (View Accessory Entires)
Latest Review Posted Manfrotto 055XPROB
Yeah folks might complain about the weight of this tripod - at around 2kgs - but this tripod does what it says on the box! It keeps the camera steady while you close down that aperture or fit an ND grad, etc. This thing keeps the body steady in the most demanding of conditions. I live on a mountain which copes some pretty drastic wind - had a day where my bag (with lenses) flipped a few times UP the hill, but the tripod and K20D with Sigma 100-300/4 was still there waiting faithfully post-retrieval.

The 055xProB is not only fully adjustable with individual leg height, but moving the centre column to the horizontal makes it invaluable for macro shots. You can get right down to the ground without issue.

I've only borrowed a carbon-fibre set up once and although light did not give me this degree of confidence when the legs were in place. I think it is the weight that helps anchor it....hence why large format shooters are still lugging around wooden tripods! So think of their 20+ kg load while quibbling over a few 100 grams. No matter how heavy or light things on my bag might be, I'd prefer that they do what's needed when I get to where I need to be. I don't think I'd find myself justifying camera shake from a golden light moment with a "Yeah but that 1kg saving was so worth it". A moment of shoulder pain pales in comparison to a magic moment caught that can last....well forever.

Finally, with reviews concerning the leg fittings coming loose. This is easy to re...

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:17 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!