Pentax Accessory Reviews » Flash Equipment » Flashes (Third-party)
Metz Mecablitz 44 - AF1 Review RSS Feed

4 Partial Light Levels
Shutter Curtain Synchronization
Slave Mode
USB Interface
Motor Zoom Function (24-105mm)
Integrated Wide-Angle Diffuser
Battery Operated (4xAA)
Slim Design
Bounce and Swivel Head

Add Review of Metz Mecablitz 44 - AF1
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-5 of 5

Registered: September, 2011
Location: Vaasa
Review Date: November 2, 2015 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Easy, Simple, Power, PTTL
Cons: No slow sync

My first PTTL Flash.
I find this flash to be easy to use. Both in manual and PTTL mode.
If you are looking for something easy to use for the occasional flash work then get this

Registered: January, 2014
Review Date: May 29, 2015 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $180.00 | Rating: 5

Pros: Relatively cheap, easy operation, wireless p-ttl
Cons: No dumb slave option, not fully compatible with new pentax models

I bought this when my AF540fgz was under repair. This flash is ok depending on the camera model. On my k-30 AF assist light works as well as the wireless slave option. On my k-s2 however, the camera kept using its built-in af assist lamp instead of flash beam assist.

The k-s2 doesnt support wireless p-ttl on its built-in flash, so you cant do wireless pttl on this model also, which is very limiting since it doesnt have a dumb slave option either. Radio triggers will work, but no wireless P-TTL. Rear curtain sync doesnt seem to work on my cameras either. Manual flash has 4 settings but doesnt give an estimate distance, a lot of guessing if you dont have a flash meter. I would recommend the first version of the AF540fgz for a first flash, considering that its price has dropped significantly, I think the AF540fgz's features and compatibility are worth the extra price. And this metz flash for a back-up.

Its a good flash with basic p-ttl features. Its an adequate choice if you can live with the limitations.

Registered: August, 2013
Review Date: February 19, 2015 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Price, Features, Build Quality, Compatibility
Cons: Manual Mode, Slave/Master Controler

While it isn't the most feature packed P-TTL flash out there, it certainly packs some punch for the price. To get any more features you would need to spend $250 and buy the Sigma 610 Super. The Metz should meet my needs nicely. I will be using this flash for an upcoming wedding. I primarily purchesed this for the P-TTL feature as my Youngo flash doens't have this. I and going ot use this as a on camera bounce flash and will use my Youngo for off camera flash.

Over all I am happy with my purchase.

Registered: March, 2011
Location: Netherlands
Review Date: March 9, 2013 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $180.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Easy to use, simply good, affordable
Cons: None (for me)

I was looking for a good and affordable external flash, but I only need it occasionally, so I bought this one for 139 euro ($180). The MB 44 - AF1 works perfectly in P-TTL mode, first on my K-x, now on a K-5. Just switch it on and set the simple user interface to P-TTL, that's all. It has more power than I need, and the flash intensity can be adjusted to your taste through the camera (+/-). It has a tilt&swivel head, a (very handy!) extractable reflector for indirect flashing and a diffusor for use with wide lenses (up to 12 mm FF). It lacks a few advanced functions (HSS/second curtain), which I do not miss. It suites my purpose perfectly and I would recommend it without any doubt.

Location: Lost in translation ...
Review Date: April 28, 2012 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $235.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Easy of use, tilt & swivel, slave possible, cost/value, USB update
Cons: None for the moment ... except purchased in France = $$$

Bonjour,

I was considering this flash but was hesitating ... See: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/174525-k-5-metz-44-auto-...periences.html

After having used it for several months now, I am quite satisfied and this flash fits my current needs set ... thus, for me, it deserves a "9" rating ... very few drawbacks and/or reservations to be stated as of the moment.

Here are a few photos of this flash in case you are curious ...

Salut, John le Frog

Add Review of Metz Mecablitz 44 - AF1

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:54 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!