Pentax Accessory Reviews » Flash Equipment » Flashes (Genuine Pentax)
PENTAX AF 201FG Review RSS Feed

6 11,570 Thu May 3, 2018

PENTAX AF 201FG

This flash was introduced in February 2015. It is compact and simple to use. It supports bounce flash and is weather sealed for protection against light rain and dust. It supports P-TTL and manual flash (1/1 and 1/4th strength).

The flash supports leading as well as trailing curtain shooting.

Flash exposure compensation can be set on the camera, not on the flash.

PENTAX AF 201FG
Guide Number (meters ISO 100)
Flash control
P-TTL auto,
Manual (full power and 1/4th power)
Flash exposure comp.
ISO range compatibility 25 - 1600
Pull-out wide angle panel
In Production: Buy the PENTAX AF 201FG

Add Review of PENTAX AF 201FG Buy the PENTAX AF 201FG
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-6 of 6

Registered: June, 2008
Location: Idaho

Review Date: May 3, 2018 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $126.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Small, compact and easy to carry in a pocket; Plenty of output for simple jobs
Cons: Shorter battery life (AAAs)

I recently bought the AF201FG and am suitably impressed. It's just the right size for what I wanted and can be carried in one's pocket easily. Guide number 20 with 100 ISO (that drops to 14 with the wide angle panel dropped into place) full power, and 10 at quarter power. It has leading and trailing Auto options, two manual modes (x1 and x 0.25 power), and features P-TTL operation in auto. No HSS but I wouldn't expect that in this price range flash nor do I need it that much for the applications where I use it. It only supports flash compensation if your camera does (my K-1 is one of those that does). Ready light and test button, and the ready light doubles as a battery indicator by flashing when batteries are low.

The head swivels in the vertical plane from 0 degrees to 20, 45, 60, 75, 90, 105, 120, and 135 degrees (the latter toward the camera). It also has a lock release that lets it swivel 10 degrees downward. What to ask for in a selection of swivel angles. No horizontal swivel, but again, I don't need that capability. No provision for a sync cord unless a hot shoe adapter is used.

The coverage is rated at 70 x 53 degrees and the pull-out/drop-down wide angle panel gets you 98 x 85 degrees. I haven't evaluated the evenness of coverage yet. The wide angle panel stores in the flash itself just above the flash window, and pull out and folds down to put it in front of the window for wider coverage. Neat little trick.

It takes AAA alkaline or Ni-MH batteries. I used alkaline and the recycle time from dead start is fairly short - again impressive for a little flash. Of course, that increases as the batteries are depleted but you get a fair number of flashes out of a set of AAAs.

The flash is stylish in off black color (Pentax black), and it seems rugged enough in its construction though the hot shoe is plastic but even high priced flashes are now using plastic in their hot shoe mounts.

The flash comes in a matching velvet type bag with drawstring closure, and the package includes a 52 page user guide. Only one complaint is that the user guide is multi-language, and the languages alternate throughout the guide rather than having an English section, a Japanese section, etc. Makes reading a bit difficult because one tends to miss some of the sections in their native language on first glance. Old style grouping works better for me. I downloaded the PDF and edited to English only for my use.

All in all, a great little flash for my needs, and I think it will work for use with my K-1 (for fill and low power needs) quite well.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/288269-af201...#ixzz5EOm7mwmE

Location: Bedfordshire, UK

Review Date: May 17, 2017 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Compactness, AAA batteries, power, built in diffusor, quick release
Cons: none for me

Beside my Pentax gear I have a Fuji X100 with an EF-20 flash. Great combo, great little flash.

So I started looking at similar range flashes for my K-1 thinking that the power of Fuji flash (GN 20) is good for me in 99% of situations.

Luckily Pentax offers this unit, which is exactly what I wanted. Compact, tilts, uses only two AAA batteries and powerful in most situations when photographing people around you. Especially useful with the K-1 which has no built in flash.

Price I paid was for a used unit in mint condition.

Highly recommended rating from me.

Location: Munich, Germany

Review Date: October 17, 2016 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $129.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: lightweight, well build, WR, good vertical tilting, manual mode, seems to support also analog TTL besides PTTL, affordable
Cons: no wireless slave and controller function, no led beam, manual mode only 2 steps: full and 1/4

I searched a nice small PTTL-flash mainly for the K-1.

Although there is the very competitive Metz mecablitz 26 AF-2 I decided to order this unit.

Reason: the possibility that it could support analog TTL as other Pentax flashes and manual mode. Analog TTL and manual mode are the precondition to get it work with Cactus V6 via V6 learning mode.

The flash as a small auto PTTL unit gets a 7 from me.

After some trials and tricks (read here) I could generate a V6 profile. Now I can use the AF201FG with Cactus V6 wireless radio triggers remotely (manual) or if I use a „V6-flash-sandwich“ on camera I can trigger the flash manually in much more steps than the flash unit supports. This is very convenient if you use manual lenses: M1.7/50@1.7 - open aperture narrow depth of field using the V6-flash combo works!

The combinations off and on camera with Cactus V6 radio triggers are of really great value. I’m very happy with this combo. So I value the extendability by Cactus V6 very high and the Pentax AF201FG gets a 9 from me.

Registered: September, 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Review Date: December 20, 2015 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $149.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Small, Somewhat Inexpensive
Cons: No master flash function

I needed a small flash for the K-3II so I purchased this since the little Metz was still not available. I was not aware of the small Meike (Neewer) which would probably have served as well for less money. The flash works as advertised and is handy to carry but is severely limited by the absence of wireless communication with other Pentax flash units. It adds some nice reach to the Q.

Registered: January, 2014
Review Date: November 6, 2015 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Vertical tilt, past vertical. Super easy to pack
Cons: No wireless ptll capability

Initially bought this item as an addition to my af540fgz version 1.

Advantage over the onboard flash:
-will not create shadows with standard zoom and wide angle lens, i have the sigma 17-70c and 10-20.
-can bounce it way up, Can literally bounce it on a wall behind you.
-it has a built in diffuser, more even coverage for wide angle lens
-will not drain your camera battery

Advantage over pentax af540fgz (version I)
-its so light and packs very easily. Its very easy to grab and bring this just in case you need it.
-its weather-sealed, the version I is not.
-controls couldn't be simpler. You need to a PhD in product design to operate the af540fgz v1.

What im missing with the Af201fgz:
-wireless optical ptll (controller), would have been perfect for owners of af540fgz and/or af360fgz flash units. wireless optical slave is also not available, but at least you can use a cord to have off camera pttl.
-Since it can be used with radio triggers in manual mode, finer increments in power would have been useful. It currently offers full power and 1/4 power only.

Advantage of the af540fgz
-a lot lot more if your willing to haul it around and learn its features. Hss, wireless pttl, faster recycling times, focus assist lamp, better manual control, led indicator for distance, the list goes on... I think its a much better value for money and I would recommend it as a first flash if size is not an issue.

Who I think is it for:
-a "just in case" flash for owners of big lenses that zooms to wide angle territory, where on board flash will cast lens shadows.
-limited lens owners, pentax q owners, light packers. Kinda beats the logic of carrying a small camera/ lens if your flash is as big as a standard aps-c zoom lens. This flash is very easy to pack, and offers a visible improvement over the on board flash if you can bounce it. For indoor use, its about as good as my af540fgz (ver 1) 90% of the time.

Location: at my kitchen table

Review Date: June 26, 2015 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $147.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Tilts!, Size and weight, ample power for what it is.
Cons: Not wireless.

I purchased this because I wanted a small light weight travel flash. I also purchased a Vello off camera flash cord to go with it. The bounce flash works ok in small rooms. Off camera this is a great little flash. I usually use it with a small soft box but have used a large Flashbender on it as well. As a word of caution any heavy light modifier will cause it to tilt down under the weight. Speaking of tilt, it tilts a few degrees to the rear which is useful for bounce flash shots while pointing the camera down.

An off camera cord is a must,and the flash is light and easy to hold.

It does not have many controls but neither does a lot of its current competition. You basically have to control the flash intensity from your camera.

A few shots made with it and a K-S2:

Garden Flash 3 by Bill, on Flickr

Primrose 2 by Bill, on Flickr

Work is Done by Bill, on Flickr
Add Review of PENTAX AF 201FG Buy the PENTAX AF 201FG

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:51 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!