Pentax Accessory Reviews » Grips and Power Accessories for Digital » Grips (Genuine Pentax)
Pentax Battery Grip D-BG2 for K10D and K20D Review RSS Feed

Pentax Battery Grip D-BG2 for K10D and K20D

29 18,333 Sat June 11, 2016
Pentax Battery Grip D-BG2 for K10D and K20D

For use with the K10D and K20D DSLRs.

-Holds an additional rechargeable battery
-Holds an additional SD card
-Holds a Pentax Remote F

Add Review of Pentax Battery Grip D-BG2 for K10D and K20D
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 29

Registered: September, 2014
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Review Date: June 11, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Quality, design
Cons: Nothing to speak of.

What more is there to say. If you have a K10d or K20d you should really consider one.

If you have bigger hands or use a lot of heavier lenses or need extended battery life, or heck if you just like the look of it, then get it.

Moderator

Registered: March, 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Review Date: April 16, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Pentax build quality, weather sealed, spare SD card compatment, IR remote control F compartment
Cons: None for me

The D-BG2 is a must have for the K20D IMO. It makes the camera much more user friendly than it already is. Having a spare SD card securely stored with the battery is excellent. Also having a compartment for the very easily lost remote control F is a great feature. If you are considering getting a second hand K20D, I would highly recommend getting the D-BG2 as well.

Registered: February, 2008
Location: UK
Review Date: December 11, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Weather Sealed, Adds Balance with Larger Lenses

Came as part of my Grand Prix Edition kit, well made and offers great balance when used with Larger Lenses on the K10D. Love the weather sealing and great that the Battery Tray addes a spare SD card slot.

Location: Warsaw
Review Date: January 6, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $73.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Improves K20D ergonomics, extra power in weather resistant package, vertical wheels + green button. Pentax genuine build quality.
Cons: K-5 grip has more controls.... otherwise none.

This grip adds greatly to too shallow handlebar on K20D. K20D with D-BG2 feels like a weapon actually.... feels just great!

It is top quality made, adds a weather sealed additional power plus storage for SD card and a pilot. Battery compartment locking mechanism looks and feels confident.

Nice addition to your K20D - good idea ti get one. Due to K10D/K20D compatibility - it is much more available than D-BG3 (K200D) grip.

Registered: March, 2011
Location: Prince Edward Island
Review Date: October 13, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Portrait shooting, Extra Battery, Sd Card slot, weather sealing
Cons: No AF

Wouldn't be without it. Shot two weddings this summer and couldn't have made it without it. Doubling the battery life was very important. If you have a K10 or K20 you shouldn't be without it considering the low cost today.

Registered: July, 2008
Location: Sheffield, England
Review Date: June 16, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: K10D feels naked without it
Cons: Adds weight, some button placement issues

Very happy to add this to my K10D pretty much from new. It makes the camera weighty but rather more flexible as I like to do mostly portrait orientated shooting

Decent build, excellent fit, mostly does a great job. Stores the 'F' remote and spare SD card too

Don't like; Tripod thread is in the wrong place for panorama shooting (which is annoying) and green button is awkward to get to (which gets very annoying)

Would love it to take AAs but guess I will have to upgrade my K10 for that

Registered: September, 2011
Location: California
Review Date: March 20, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $75.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Weather Sealed, Storage Compartment

If you have a K10D or K20D, this is highly recommended! The weather sealing on this really fits well with the body. Being able to hold an extra battery, OEM remote, and extra SDHC is so useful!Don't buy a cheap third-party, just spend a little extra on this one!

Registered: May, 2010
Location: Hong Kong / Irvine, CA
Review Date: December 25, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: remote and SD slot!
Cons: the grip part is a bit thin when you are holding it

It makes the camera looks perfect.
It also saves me a few time for not bringing my remote and it got one in it!!
Love it.

Registered: June, 2010
Review Date: August 19, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: great for shooting in portrait position, adds more balance with heavier lenses

Great feature with alternative for Shutter and Green Button, very useful with long lenses and in shooting in portrait mode it allows more comfortable grip on camera.
It prooved to be very nice for long exposures in night, when Pentax was set to use both batteries.

Registered: November, 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Review Date: August 3, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Makes the K10 much easier to hold, doubles battery life, provides a good place for that tiny remote stay when not in use. It's a great place to put a spare SD card.
Cons: Card in grip is not used by the camera.

I bought it as a package with the camera and the DA 12-24, so the price is an estimate. Frankly, the camera feels wrong without the grip. I met another K10 user in a restaurant, and she inquired. Put her lens on my camera with grip, and she was sold instantly. It feels that much better. The portrait orientation controls are a non starter, I also have the hand strap on the camera.

Registered: June, 2011
Location: Budapest
Review Date: July 3, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $140.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Balance, accessories in the grip

The grip is a very important addition to a camera, to be able to handle it with more comfort. I don't have a particularly big hand, but it is very handy for gripping (pun intended) the camera. If you shoot more portrait mode, it is also a more solid mode for taking pictures, than with twisted hands.

It happened with me for several occasions that I forgot the memory card in the reader, and I had no other in my bag. In this situation the spare card in the grip is a lifesaver, I always keep an old card there.

My only criticism is for the tripod mount on the grip itself: this is not under the lens. This can pose problems when you make panoramas on a tripod without a special pano head (these aren't cheap ).

The newer model (for the K7and K5) does have options for using standard AA cell batteries. It is very handy when both batteries run out.

Registered: March, 2009
Location: Ohio, USA/ India
Review Date: May 16, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $85.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: slot for remote, SD card
Cons: cannot write to the card

This is a great accessory that helps in balancing the camera when you mount a fast telephoto zoom to your camera. It makes portrait shooting a breeze. I like that I can store my tiny remote safely in the grip. That way I am always ready to take a group picture with myself included!
I like how the grip integrates seamlessly with the body - an onlooker once asked me if I my K20D was a medium format!
Negatives : does not take AA (Like the K7/K5) and the SD card can only be stored, not written in.

Registered: September, 2006
Location: Katy, Texas
Review Date: March 26, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $89.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Extended battery life, handling, storage for remote, extra SD card
Cons: Bottons lack depth hard to use

When I bought my K10D I made sure to pick up an extra battery as back up. Being a major purchase for me I had to wait to buy the grip. I was browsing my local camera store when I spotted a used grip under glass with an OEM Pentax battery included! For the price it was a steal!

Since I got it, it only comes off the body to charge the battery. It makes the camera so much easier for me to handle in all aspects, portrait as well as landscape. The buttons are kind of uncomfortable for me to use but I just swing my hands over the top when framing for a portrait. The buttons could use some depth for better feel in my opinion.

I recently got the little remote control and it slides nicely into the grip along with a spare SD card and of course the battery. Very functional.

If you have a K10D or a K20D this grip is a no brainer.

Registered: October, 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Review Date: January 25, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $110.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: battery life extended, balances camera body, fit and finish
Cons: price

Easy to use, adds some beef to the form factor of the camera body and balances the body in hand. makes shooting portrait mode much much easier and correctly. Only gripe is the price when released new, but price dropped to around $100 when I bought mine new in 2009.

Location: The un-lovely High Desert, SoCal
Review Date: December 7, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $110.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: It holds the F remote, xtra battery AND SD card.
Cons: It makes the camara much heavier and its pricey!

I actually purchased this grip here in the marketplace. I had no idea how much I needed it until I got it in the mail and used it the first time. It only leaves my camara to get the battery charged now. I dont even use the camara without it, although it makes a marked difference in the weight of the camara. Aside from that and the price $110 (used) I have nothing negative to say.
Now lets get to it...
First, I like having the extra power available from the second battery inside the BG2. With the second battery installed, I have not once had to recharge my batteries after a heavy weekend of shooting over 32 GBs in photos. I do have to share that I only use the AF on the K20D about half the time and use an external flash.
Second, the ability to adjust the camera exposure setting while holding the camera body in a portrait orientation is very handy. Some of the lens I shot with need additional exposure compensation. The extra means in which I can accomplish this task helps speed up my transition time when changing lenses.
Third, the presence of an extra shutter release button. Although I just assume to have an extra shutter release on any integrated external battery pack, the fact that there is this extra release button is nice to write about. I use the extra shutter release on the BG2 about half the time I am shooting in portrait mode.
Forth, the internal storage slot for a spare SD memory card. This extra memory card storage slot is very handy and clever on the part of the Pentax engineers. Hence, now I never go on a shot without a spare SD card and on several occasions have found having the spare SD card with me very helpful. It makes for one less thing to lose in the field and helps minimize the time it takes me to replace the SD card in the camera.
The addition of a power ON/OFF switch on the BG2 is a feature that I rarely use, but still a nice feature to have incorporated into the battery pack.
Last, the construction and build of the BG2 is very good. The fit and finish of the external and internal plastic parts, control switches and buttons is excellent. Although the battery pack is not incased in a metal exterior housing, the choices of the materials used feel robust, moisture and impact resistant. I have bumped the battery pack against a few hard things already and have left very little scaring to the battery pack's exterior.
Add Review of Pentax Battery Grip D-BG2 for K10D and K20D

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:07 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!