Pentax Accessory Reviews » Grips and Power Accessories for Digital » Batteries and Chargers
Pentax D-LI90 Rechargeable Battery for K-1, K-3, K-5, K-7, K-01 and 645D Review RSS Feed

10 16,975 Mon October 24, 2016

Pentax D-LI90 Rechargeable Battery for K-1, K-3, K-5, K-7, K-01 and 645D

Lithium-Ion battery as delivered with the camera. Fits the K-1, K-3, K-5, K-7, K-01, 645D and 645Z.

The battery is also found labeled as D-LI90(E). There is no difference between the two other than the labeling.

1860 mAh 7.2V
Purchase URL: Buy the Pentax D-LI90 Rechargeable Battery for K-1, K-3, K-5, K-7, K-01 and 645D

Add Review of Pentax D-LI90 Rechargeable Battery for K-1, K-3, K-5, K-7, K-01 and 645D Buy the Pentax D-LI90 Rechargeable Battery for K-1, K-3, K-5, K-7, K-01 and 645D
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-10 of 10
Moderator

Registered: March, 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Review Date: October 24, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $75.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Pentax brand is the best choice
Cons: Expensive in Australia

I have a K-3, and I find the original Pentax brand battery is much better than the no-name knock offs. I have the cheaper versions too, but the Pentax allows more photographs to be taken per charge IMO. I highly recommend getting the Pentax battery.

Location: Boise Idaho
Review Date: December 31, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Somewhat small, one way to feed (unlike USB), 1000 shots easy.
Cons: Price.

I purchased a k5 with extra batteries at BH photo video. Thought I was getting a good deal. I found out that the batteries they came with sucked! I can do maybe 25 -300 photos on each battery (they are flashpoint brand). I'm always happy when I put the Pentax battery in because I know it'll last

Review Date: September 22, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Best camera battery for k5

Better than other brands, more power, af works better with this original battery!

Location: Skåne, Sweden

Review Date: April 18, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great battery life in the K-5

I write this review mostly to inform of some compatibility issues that I found after purchasing the K-01. There are two versions of this charger, the original called D-BC90 and a newer version called D-BC90P. The batteries are also updated with a "P" on the end, e.g. D-LI90P. The compatibility is as follows:

Old charger D-LI90 will only charge D-LI90
New charger D-LI90P will charge both D-LI90 and D-LI90P

There are plastic grooves on the D-LI90P battery which makes it impossible to even fit in in the older D-LI90 charger. My K-01 was supplied with the new charger and battery, my original K-5 came with the old charger and battery.

Apparently the new design has to do with Japanese safety regulations, discussed here

For the battery itself, I find that it will last pretty much forever in the K-5. If you don't use LiveView or flash it could take at least a thousand pictures in the K-5. I usually always charge at night when I can, so I've never been on any long hikes in the wild with the K-5, but I did shoot a wedding with a K-5 and the D-BG4 battery grip, with a total of 2 D-LI90. After the whole day and 500+ pictures neither battery has dropped from green (full charge). I couldn't ask any more of them.

Registered: July, 2010
Location: New York
Review Date: April 27, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent battery life, reasonably priced
Cons: Slow charging

Excellent battery life. It's not difficult to get some thousand shots on a single charge when used in the K-5. I would definitely recommend this over any third-party battery, since the genuine Pentax battery isn't that expensive. It does tend to be slow to charge (up to 6 1/2 hours!), however.

Community Manager

Registered: March, 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Review Date: April 19, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Long lasting, durable

What to say about a battery that does its job without a hitch?
It works very well, has power that lasts and lasts.
Self-discharging is minimal and it recharges quickly.
Very good product.

Registered: June, 2011
Location: Australia
Review Date: March 17, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: It's for 4 pentax cameras.
Cons: Price locally

A battery the goes into K-7, K-5, 645D and now the new K-01. Perhaps the next new pentax DSLR to replace the K-5.

Registered: December, 2007
Location: Montreal
Review Date: August 24, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Best performance, genuine
Cons: Price

Not much to say, that's the genuine battery for Pentax K-5 and K-7. It has a good capacity (and always better than the cheaper third-party even those that claim more capacity!) but is rather expensive.

Maybe it's the charger but it takes a very long time to charge to full capacity. Expect more than 6 hours the first time (the manual states 390 minutes for a fully depleted battery!). That's why you need absolutely a second battery (I have a generic for that purpose) or use the DBG4 battery grip that can use AA batteries.

Registered: February, 2011
Location: SK, Canada
Review Date: July 14, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $37.99 | Rating: 9

Pros: It's an extra battery, it works
Cons: Price in Canada

My only issue with the battery is that the price in Canada is ridiculous. I bought the battery from a US seller for $37.99. The same battery in Canada is $99.99!!

Registered: May, 2010
Location: Ruurlo / The Netherlands
Review Date: June 12, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: The D-LI90 fits the K-7, K-5 and 645D
Cons: This is not a 'standard workhorse' like an AA / LR6 /Ni-MH cell

People who use a rugged, relatively light and small DSLR camera are often using other equipment (GPS, mobile phone, flash light, radio, etc.) too while 'travelling light'. In such an situation it is very effective and efficient to standardise at one or two rechargeable batteries.

The benefits are obvious:
  • batteries can be used and exchanged between equipment;
  • only one (solar!) recharger is needed (e.g. for AA and AAA);
  • you need no bag full of different chargers (weight, volume, $);
  • benefits for low cost high quality (2nd generation Ni-MH AA);
  • setting your own priority (use your batteries where needed).
To compare:
1 D-LI90 battery delivers 7.2V - 1860 mAh - 77 gram;
6 AA Ni-MH cells deliver 7.2V - 2300 mAh - 170 gram.

The good news: The D-BG4 battery grip takes both AA cells or a D-LI90, so you can 'steal' your spare AA batteries to keep on taking pictures!

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:41 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!