Pentax Accessory Reviews » Lens Accessories » Cleaning Accessories
Pentax Image Sensor Cleaning Kit, O-ICK1 Review RSS Feed

Pentax Image Sensor Cleaning Kit, O-ICK1

8 17,283 Tue December 1, 2015
Pentax Image Sensor Cleaning Kit, O-ICK1

The Image Sensor Cleaning Kit O ICK1 contains a cleaning stick with a special polyurethane rubber tip and special paper. To clean the sensor just press the tip of the cleaning stick onto the low-pass filter covering the sensor. Then wipe away the dirt on the cleaning stick's tip with the special paper. The Pentax Image Sensor Cleaning Kit O-ICK1 39357 can work with Pentax Digital SLR Cameras as well as other Digital SLR Cameras by different brands.

Add Review of Pentax Image Sensor Cleaning Kit, O-ICK1
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-8 of 8
Resident Bagpiper

Registered: June, 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Review Date: December 1, 2015 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Easy, works
Cons: Expensive

I would rate 10 except for cost. It was 70 CAD for me (about 50 USD at the time of writing). It is VERY easy to use and very quick, I had some dust stuck that the inbuilt SR system did not remove and a rocket blower wouldn't help. Got this, a little worried the first time, but it works beautifully. Many forum members recommend this and they are right! Only problem is the cost, but it is about the same cost as bringing it to a camera store and then them cleaning it. Except camera store has a turnaround of a week or two and this takes less than five minutes!
Would recommend to a friend!

Registered: June, 2011
Location: Gotland
Review Date: December 9, 2014 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Actually works
Cons: A bit costly but worth it

I had a very persistent problem, small (pollen?) grains as welded to the sensor. I tried a small blower with no effect. A bigger one that gave some help. Then I took a deep breath and followed Internet tips on wet cleaning. A homemade wooden spatel (yes, wooden, Nikon uses wooden spatels) and French Optinett wet tissues had some effect. Same spatel with microfiber cloth and propyl alcohol also had some effect but left lint. Then I tried distilled water instead. The sensor got cleaner but those stubborn particles were still there.

Then I tried the Pentax kit. Bought from Microglobe London, fine service.

This item actually worked! It took three passes to get the sensor 99,5% clean. (The dust warning system in my K5 sees nothing, but a test photo f/22 and a lot of Photoshop curves shows a couple of small spots.)

A very good sensor cleaner. Best in my test.

Registered: October, 2007
Location: France
Review Date: February 23, 2014 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Efficient on dust and particles, safe for sensor
Cons: Not efficient on oil spot (but I never encountered one)

The must have item to clean your sensor. Widely used by Professional to clean Canon an Nikon sensor too
Efficient on dust only, leaves the sensor clean without any risk of leaving unwanted residue of cleaning stuff.
Note that the principle of this kit is to stick dust particles on the cleaner, that's why it is not efficient on oïl. BUT during normal usage of a DSLR camera, only dust particle may enter the camera when you are changing lenses. I never encountered oïl spot (I never had a nikon, though)

Review Date: December 15, 2013 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $59.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: THE tool for the job
Cons: Price

The UK this cost me £36 (aprox $59 us ) 3 or 4 months ago. I have tried several solutions to removing sensor dust. Never been happy with any until I tried this. It quite simply works every time with no hassle.

Registered: December, 2008
Location: Perth, Australia
Review Date: August 22, 2013 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Works
Cons: Sticker shock

This works, is easy to use, safe for the sensor and your sensor stays clean for a long time after use. Price seemed high, but the kit will last many years.
100% recommended.

Registered: March, 2011
Location: Houston, TX

Review Date: November 28, 2012 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $45.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: It works!
Cons: Cost; a bit of trepedation using it the first time!

I started having some blotches on pictures with plenty of sky, so I used the K5's dust mapping and found that there was a remarkable amount of dust along one edge. After looking at reviews of various systems, I bought a Gotto Rocket blower and the Pentax cleaning kit. I tried the blower first and it did help a little, but it also moved some of the dust around! So I got up the nerve to use this 'gumdrop on a stick' and voila! The dust was gone! I have used it one other time this weekend and with one touch of the sensor the offending dust was gone.

While I was not too keen on touching the sensor with something that sticks a bit to it, it does the trick. And I feel better about this than using something that requires not only touching the sensor but using liquids as well!

BTW, the Gotto also does come in handy. I use it whenever I change lenses just to clean off the back of the lens so that there is less chance of dust getting in during the swap, so I like having both around. But if you have dust on your sensor, I do recommend the Pentax kit as the first thing to get. And read the instructions thoroughly before the first use!

Location: Lost in translation ...
Review Date: May 8, 2012 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: It's what my local French B&M photo shop uses ...
Cons: Expensive, like everything, in France ...

Bonjour,

I would agree with about all of the first review of this product ... and as I mentioned above, this is what my local photo shop uses which says a lot!

Salut, John le Frog

Registered: June, 2007
Location: St-Petersburg, Russia

Review Date: May 6, 2012 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $45.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Cleans the sensor without any liquid, no marks, blotchiness etc. left
Cons: a bit scary to touch sensor with it. Unable to remove very hard/sticky dust. Cleaning sheets are easy to contaminate with the dust from the air.

I like this stuff. It consists of a stick with a piece of some gum at the top, and a notebook of adhesive sheets. You touch(even press) the dusty sensor, dust glues to the gum. Then you clean the gum touching the sheet. When sheet is not clean no more, you take another one. No danger to soak something inside your camera.

Got it 4 years ago and it is still in use and have half of cleaning sheets left. I use it with my cameras, and clean sensors for my friends also. I take it to all my trips, as you catch a lot of dust exchanging optics on the streets.

It perfectly removes regular dust, but if something got stuck on the sensor, you gonna need a bigger boat- wet system. This happened to me only once. Also, sticky sheet becomes more dusty from the air than from the cleaning stick.

There is a perfect video on youtube showing how to use this kit.

It is also very economical, I will hardly spend the rest of my notebiik in next 2 years.

Total score is 9 -- it is robust, self-contained and always ready. Real Pentax
Add Review of Pentax Image Sensor Cleaning Kit, O-ICK1

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:22 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!