Pentax Accessory Reviews » Viewfinders and Screens » Viewfinder Attachments (Genuine Pentax)
PENTAX Magnifier Eyecup O-ME53 Review RSS Feed

PENTAX Magnifier Eyecup O-ME53

33 35,175 Sun January 3, 2016
PENTAX Magnifier Eyecup O-ME53

This eye-cup magnifies the viewfinder image 1.18 times. When mounted on a K-7, the viewfinder magnification becomes 1.03x instead of the 0.92x without the magnifier.

Fits the *ist D and all K series DSLRs.
In Production: Buy the PENTAX Magnifier Eyecup O-ME53

Add Review of PENTAX Magnifier Eyecup O-ME53 Buy the PENTAX Magnifier Eyecup O-ME53
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 33

Registered: August, 2014
Location: Italia

Review Date: January 3, 2016 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: improved manual focusing accuracy

I rate this as a 10 due to the fact that it's a really consistent tool IMHO.
  1. It improves the already good k5 viewfinder
  2. in my case, solved a little problem with the diopter adjustment (I had difficulties to find -0- compensation setting and clearly see without the OME53) .
  3. Perhaps higher magnification ratios would effect the complete view of the scene: that's not the case of the OME53.
  4. Is also more comfortable than the original K5 eyecup.
Buy one!

Best regards. Matteo

Location: North Wales
Review Date: January 29, 2015 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: N/A

Pros: good quality
Cons: not much magnification, no diopter adjustment

I thought I would try one of these and make the comparison with my Tenpa 1.36x when I saw a good offer for new one. My first impressions were favourable, it's a good optical item. Negligible vignetting. Magnification a definite assist, but I get more benefit from the 1.36x of my Tenpa.

However because my myopia requires more than the -2.5 correction built in to the camera. the 1.2x gain is negated by the loss of additional diopter correction and consequently slightly soft (to my eyes) image in the VF. So its back to the -3 diopter correction lens, or the tenpa which has -1 diopter as an inherent part of its optics.

YWSYLS.

Registered: April, 2014
Review Date: September 29, 2014 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $37.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Easier manual focussing.
Cons: Some vignetting, edges of frame out of focus.

It's useful but a little disappointing compared to what I was expecting. I notice that on my current camera (KR) only the centre of the magnified view is in focus, so I have to move my eye around to check anything but the centre. With care it does make manual focussing just a bit easier. As the viewfinder is bigger it's also dimmer, because the same amount of light is now spread over a wider area. This means on night shoots you may find you need to remove it, depending upon precisely what you are doing.

Registered: August, 2011
Location: New Joisey
Review Date: September 17, 2014 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: N/A

Pros: Helpul, but...
Cons: Inconvenient if you wear glasses

I like the additional magnification, but I took it off as I wear glasses and can't see the whole viewfinder at once because of that. It becomes easy to misjudge your framing. I wish that there was some accommodation for glasses wearers. If so, I would gladly use this.

Registered: June, 2009
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Review Date: September 15, 2014 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Comfortable, stays on, love the larger view
Cons: None (unless you wear glasses!)

I am so glad I purchased one of these. I haven't removed it from my K7 and now K5 since I purchased it. Slightly larger viewfinder size with no real draw backs for me. I can see the entire frame, including the info below the screen, and have the added benefit of some extra nose clearance from the LCD screen. The diopter control remains on the camera itself so that doesn't change on you when you put this on.

According to DPreview of the K5, when they adjust the viewfinder magnification number to a full frame equivalent, it comes to a 0.61x viewfinder. If I look up the Spotmatic F stat, it appears to be a 0.88x. Now the K5 0.61x with the O-ME53 magnifyer of 1.2x, should be roughly equivalent to a 0.73x.

Because if it is, that would put the K7/K5 with O-ME53 right in between the D800 and Canon 1DX mk ii which are 0.7x and 0.76x respectfully.

I took a comparison photo of the viewfinders for those of you who want to see the difference before you buy:

Registered: October, 2007
Location: France
Review Date: January 23, 2014 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fair magnification of the viewfinder, the entire field is still visible.

The must have accessory to magnify the image in the viewfinder, allows to check for a precise focusing

Registered: January, 2014
Location: United Kingdom
Review Date: January 23, 2014 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: It do a Great Job at magnification

work well on my K-5IIs got for a great price new

Location: Toronto
Review Date: November 29, 2013 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Makes manual focusing easier
Cons: Bit expensive, eyeglass users will likely have to take glasses off to view entire screen, fogs easily in cold weather

Useful for manual focusing, though I find it takes some getting used to.

Unlike the stock viewfinder, I find that I have to take my glasses off if I want to use this one though as it works best if your eye is flush to the eyepiece. (Otherwise too much of the viewfinder image is hidden.) Also unlike the stock viewfinder, I find it easily fogs when shooting in cold weather.

Location: Slovenia
Review Date: November 25, 2013 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Magnifies the VF image (Well, what did you expect?), better eye relief
Cons: None.

This helps with manual focusing, ergonomics (not squishing your face against the camera anymore) and general VF usability. However, it could have been designed for a larger FOV on the viewfinder image.
March 2014 edit: Actually, you can see the whole viewfinder quite easily, but you have to have your eye very close to the magnifier and precisely centered.

Review Date: September 22, 2013 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: See better

Good item

Location: Ajman, United Arab Emirates

Review Date: May 5, 2013 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $29.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Easily removable. Distances your face from LCD
Cons: Moving eye around to frame accurately

If you wear glasses, use manual lenses or shoot macro. This will help.

Location: France
Review Date: March 5, 2013 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $38.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: all
Cons: ?

Aiming more comfortable for the eyes and nose. Very low vignetting. view the entire screen (I do not have glasses). Diopter more accessible to adjust. On K-5, the magnification allows a significant improvement in manual focus. This does not replace the quality of the screen of my ME super !!! but it is a real improvement.

Registered: May, 2010
Location: Hong Kong / Irvine, CA
Review Date: January 18, 2013 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: large enough
Cons: I need to move arond my eyes to see the words (I have glasses on)

worth the money.
I have it always on.

Review Date: December 20, 2012 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 9

Pros:
Cons:

fsdf

Registered: August, 2009
Location: Southeast USA
Review Date: September 10, 2012 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $34.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Performs as advertised, easy install
Cons: Seems a bit expensive, dirties easily

Good to have if you manually focus, which I do. This and a MF focusing screen are a good combo (I have the Katzeye with Optibrite). The magnification factor is alright; it's a good tradeoff between viewfinder info visibility and magnification, presumably. Note that I do not wear glasses and do not have a pointy nose so I don't have trouble seeing VF info with this in.

I don't know if it's because my daughter has stuck her finger on the magnifying lens or whatnot (I don't think she has, but I could be wrong), but this item seems to get dirty very easily. Just the other day I cleaned it with peroxide and a Q-tip, but by the end of the day (did a bunch of shooting that day), it had smudges on it again.

In the end, I could probably live without it, but it does provide a noticeable magnification (if you compare with/without quickly) so it is better than the stock eyecup.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:26 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!