Pentax Accessory Reviews » Viewfinders and Screens » Viewfinder Attachments (Genuine Pentax)
PENTAX Magnifier Eyecup O-ME53 Review RSS Feed

PENTAX Magnifier Eyecup O-ME53

33 32,802 Sun January 3, 2016
PENTAX Magnifier Eyecup O-ME53

This eye-cup magnifies the viewfinder image 1.18 times. When mounted on a K-7, the viewfinder magnification becomes 1.03x instead of the 0.92x without the magnifier.

Fits the *ist D and all K series DSLRs.
In Production: Buy the PENTAX Magnifier Eyecup O-ME53

Add Review of PENTAX Magnifier Eyecup O-ME53 Buy the PENTAX Magnifier Eyecup O-ME53
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 16-30 of 33

Registered: December, 2007
Location: Montreal
Review Date: September 9, 2011 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: easy to attach, cheap, nose relief
Cons: not able to see whole screen, only 1.2x

I have this permanently attached to my K-5. I had the KPS 1.35x before but I lost the rubber eyecup and you needed a screwdriver to attach it. The O-ME53 just slide in place of the original rubber eyecup. Thus very easy to put in place or remove.

Since it's thick it will give some nose relief.

Of course like other magnifiers you'll lose the ability to see the whole screen at once. But it's not too bad compared to the KPS. Of course the downside is that it only magnifies to 1.2x

Registered: November, 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Review Date: August 3, 2011 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $45.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Just enough magnification to help with manual focusing.
Cons: Have to move the eye to see the bottom display

Together with the LL-60 focusing screen, it makes focusing my manual lenses as easy as it was with my film cameras. I dislike focus aids such as diagonal splits and microprisms because they screw up spot metering.

Registered: June, 2009
Location: Berlin
Review Date: July 29, 2011 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $35.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Makes manual focussing easier
Cons: May slip off accidentally e.g. when taking camera out of bag

Great support for easier manual focus, whether with or without focussing screen.
May slip off accidentally e.g. when taking camera out of bag because it "sticks out" more than the standard eypiece.
Makes what you see larger but inevitable a bit darker, too.

Another positive aspect: As the eye is kept further away from the camera body it gives my big nose more room

Registered: July, 2008
Location: Detroit
Review Date: June 10, 2011 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $35.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Does its job seamlessly, great focus aid.
Cons: Hard to clean

I bought this for my K200 to aid me in macro focusing, as I wear glasses.
Once I put it on I never took it off. it's followed me to my K 7 and continues to do it's job.
I find it helps me focus for any pic I want to take.
Wearing glasses anyway I don't find the difficulty in reading the info in the viewfinder that much different.
When you wear glasses it can be hard to see from the odd angles used for macros anyway.
In most normal shots I can see the info.

The only nit I have is that it is a bit hard to clean.

It will follow me through any body upgrades I will make.

Registered: July, 2008
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Review Date: March 29, 2011 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Cheap, works well
Cons: Obstructs the viewfinder at certain positions

Cheap, well made, and useful. In this mini-review I will try to compare it to the KPS viewfinder. First of all... it works! It does make the image bigger, and noticable right when you take it off. Compared to the KPS, its magnification is inferior, but good enough if you're not using Manufal focus much (I find that to manual focus you really need all the magnification you can get).

Second is ergonomics, I find this is where this magnifier superior to KPS. The O-ME sits back quite far from where the viewfinder originally is, and with the ruberry material it's very comfortable to use. The KPS eyecup on the other hand while more useful in strong light (because of the eyecup), is not as comfortable to use. I wish I have the KPS eyering to compare to, but my KPS is the cheaper version :/

Third is vignetting. It has a little less than the KPS, but I'm not ready to give it higher points than the KPS for this, since the difference is quite negligible.

If you can get one for $30, you should! It's a must have addition to a DSLR, manual focusing or not. If you don't like it, the marketplace always seem to have a high demand for it, so you won't lose out much even if you resell.

Community Manager

Registered: March, 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Review Date: March 28, 2011 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $35.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Improved visualisation of the viewfinder
Cons: Slightly smaller front element

This is an excellent little piece of accessory, to me it's a must-have.
It not only provides the slight magnification of the already nice, large and brilliant viewfinders of Pentax dSLRs, it provides the photographer with some distance from the face to the camera back. This is great as for people with protruding noses it can be uncomfortable viewing through the standard eyepiece from having to press the nose into the camera back just to be able to get the eye closer to the viewfinder.

So this eyepiece overcomes this issue quite well, and doesn't significantly diminish viewfinder brightness.

Registered: May, 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Review Date: January 9, 2011 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $35.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Magniication
Cons: Viewfinder Cropping

I bought one of these to complement my split prism. While it did help, I got advice to try a KPS U13 1.3 X magnifier from a fellow forum member. I did, and sold the Pentax version, immediately--the KPS one is much better, though costs more than twice as much.

This will help with manual focus, but the KPS eyepiece is even better.

Registered: April, 2010
Location: Bloomfield CO
Review Date: December 3, 2010 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: perfect for eye glass users
Cons: next to none

I find is a big help

Registered: February, 2009
Location: Cork, Ireland
Review Date: October 1, 2010 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: More relief for your nose, allows more exact focusing
Cons: Nothing

If you are using any manual lens then you should be looking at getting one of these, its a complete boon. Generally I can see everything, i.e. markings if I press in a little, do it out of habit now. Give more relief for your nose so less marks on the lcd.

Moderator

Registered: June, 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Review Date: September 29, 2010 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $29.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Same profile as stock cover
Cons:

This is a worthwhile accy for people that manual focus or do macro. It offers magnification for the center without a compromise in coverage. It has the same form factor as the stock eyepiece cover and the diopter adjusts in the same way. I have 2 of these, one on a K20d and one a K200d.

Review Date: August 25, 2010 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: it really improve the clarity and make manual focusing easy.
Cons:

1.18 does seem much, it has made a big diference for me. With the help of focusing beep/hexagon, MF is much better than the original viewfinder.
as others mentioned, it keeps your nose off the the LCD.

Registered: March, 2008
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Review Date: August 10, 2010 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Better than original eyecup-stays firmly in place
Cons: a bit expensive

I agree with most on this: older guy+glasses+split screen(katzeyes)+etc...

Registered: November, 2006
Location: Sweden
Review Date: July 27, 2010 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Makes large, eases focusing and composition
Cons: Some vignetting if you dont press your eye close

This gives a large and still bright view that aid in the focussing (I dont regularly use manual foucus lenses) and eases composition. It is comfortable and also helps keep my greasy nose from giving its smearing stains on the middle of the rear lcd.

Registered: January, 2010
Location: Lansing, MI
Review Date: July 18, 2010 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $36.95 | Rating: 10

Pros: Makes focusing easier
Cons: some vignetting

A nice accessory that helps me with manual focus. It protrudes a bit from the back of the camera, unlike the original Kx eye cup. This has turned out to be a good feature, as it keeps my cheek off the LCD!

Moderator PEG Judges

Registered: August, 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Review Date: July 1, 2010 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: N/A

Pros: Essential equipement
Cons: Slightly obscures viewfinder (have to move your eye about)

As I said on my Katzeye review, I manual focus with old eyes, all my bodies have these fitted. It just helps me to get better focus.

They tend to slide off the camera if you catch them on clothes etc, keep a spare in your bag, they are not expensive. Just try one and see how you get on.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:11 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!