Pentax Accessory Reviews » Other Camera Accessories » Miscellaneous
Pentax Remote Control F Review RSS Feed

Pentax Remote Control F

20 26,601 Fri July 17, 2020
Pentax Remote Control F

Wireless shutter release control for any Pentax DSLR, the K-01, and the Q mirrorless lineup. Also works with certain point-and-shoot cameras.

This remote features a single button only: the shutter release. It uses infrared communication so its range is limited to line-of-sight.
In Production: Buy the Pentax Remote Control F

Add Review of Pentax Remote Control F Buy the Pentax Remote Control F
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 20

Registered: December, 2007
Location: In the most populated state... state of denial
Review Date: July 17, 2020 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Light - Simple - Good Range
Cons: Sometimes it is small

Got mine years ago, with an MZ7 camera; works with the MZ, *st, Optios, and the DSLRs
Battery life is impressive, a small CR1620 lasted me about 15 yrs and changing it was easy

As a side note, the remote fits in the pockets of the MZ camera straps so I have colected a few straps over the years to use with the DSLR

Registered: September, 2015
Location: Calgary, AB
Review Date: April 9, 2017 I can recommend this item: No | Price: $28.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: Easy to use
Cons: Does not fire every time, short range outside

This is tiny simple device, and I don't understand why Pentax charges almost $30 for it.

It fires about 70% of the time.

Indoors, the range is about 15-20 feet. I find that outside, the range is about 4-5 feet. I bought it to use it for bird photography, so that I can stand at least 20 feet back from my camera and tripod, so this is of no use to me at all. Outside, I am better off with my wired remote, which fires 100% of the time.

The combination of price, lack of reliability, and short range, means I have to give it a four.

Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Moderator

Registered: March, 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Review Date: April 12, 2016 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Good distance from camera, very easy to use, excellent battery life

This very basic IR control does its job well. My K-3 has front and rear IR sensors, so using this remote makes photographing in some situations very easy. Setting the 2 second or 12 second timer allows for the photographer to be in the shot as well without rushing to make it into the frame. I highly recommend this unit.

Registered: May, 2014
Location: Graz
Review Date: September 4, 2015 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: N/A

Pros:
Cons:

I would be very interested in how it works in detail. Does it send just one pulse of IR light (typical 890 to 910 nm wavelength) to the camera or is there any coded signal?
If it is just one pulse then it is a remote pushing the relaese knob. That means the remote will do a focusing or not equal to the release buttom on the camera and the focus mode setting.

Registered: December, 2009
Review Date: November 11, 2014 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: Battery life, responsive
Cons: Easy to lose

I have used it for good 3 or 4 years and I still have not replaced the battery. The button sits in the bottom of a concavity, so the button is not pressed in your camera bag or pocket by accident. Button operation is sometimes a bit of a wildcard. Most of the times the button is very responsive (I have had a few unintentional shutter releases), but at the same time it sometimes lacks proper feedback due to its softness (it is a rubber button) - it is really difficult to release the shutter very precisely due to softness of the button, as you can never be sure when exactly the shutter is released.

Sure, it is easy to slip it into small pockets inside camera bags or keep inside your glove. But at the same time it is also so easy to lose. I have had a fair amount of "mini-heart-attacks" over it. It is not exactly cheap either.

What it really needs is a hole or slit in its body to attach a keyring to, so it would be easier to keep and find. I even considered making some kind of sleeve for it.

For functionality I give it 8 out of 10, but it loses more points in my eyes due to its design flaws (really, why is there no way to attach a keyring?).

Location: Lost in translation ...
Review Date: August 28, 2014 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Small & compact (almost too small), acceptable range
Cons: Single function, no lanyard loop like WR version

Bonjour,

A nice simple remote that goes easily into the camera bag.

Handy to have for tripod work such as macros or home-made family portraits.

Registered: November, 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Review Date: January 6, 2012 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: No wire to camera, small size
Cons: Sometimes have to press more than once to activate shutter

Works fine. Sometimes when you press button the shutter doesn't go, suspect I'm not pushing the button down far enough. Nice unit though. Use this with a K-x so it's my only choice for remote operation.

Registered: December, 2007
Location: Montreal
Review Date: September 1, 2011 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: compact
Cons: relatively expensive, only one feature

This is a must accessory for any Pentax DSLR user. Cable remotes are a thing of the past (except for some special functions like intervalometer, long exposures, etc). The official Pentax remote is OK, battery life is rated at 20,000 clicks, it's small and can be fitted in the K10D/K20D grip. I was very disappointed that Pentax removed that feature on the K-5/K-7 grip because it's so small it's easy to lose.

I rate it only 8 because there are cheaper chinese alternatives. And because it doesn't do much more than shutter release, it cannot do half-press AE/AF like the cable release. Or for example be used when connecting the camera to a TV for a slideshow.

Registered: May, 2010
Location: Hong Kong / Irvine, CA
Review Date: July 13, 2011 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: very small very compact, fits in K10D grip
Cons: only 1 button

this is so small compare to 3rd party remote.
It's a must buy if you have a Battery grip for K10D / K20D.

Location: Texas
Review Date: March 8, 2011 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $15.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Simple to use. Good battery life.
Cons: Gets lost easily.

I ended up carefully putting stripes of reflective florescent yellow tape on my remote because it would disappear into the dark recesses of my camera bag no matter how carefully I'd stow it. I also like to keep it on a lanyard when I'm shooting because it's a particularly easy item to set down and forget.

On the upside, it works like a charm with my camera, the batteries seem to last forever even under heavy use and I've even managed to bounce the signal from a scrim on occasion.

Overall, a very nice item to have in your bag, especially when shooting macro.

Location: Hampstead, NC
Review Date: February 20, 2011 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $15.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Bet way to shoot with a tripod, small
Cons: no case to clip to camera strap

This is an essential piece of gear to go with a DSLR. The remote does what it is supposed to. I don't use a tripod without a remote, but you can also use it with the camera on the ground, etc. I agree with Emily above that it would be nice if it came with a little pouch that clipped to your camera strap so you would never forget it.

One thing to remember, when you get done using the remote, take the camera off of remote mode because in remote mode shake reduction is disabled. I lost a few shots by forgetting to do this.

Registered: October, 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Review Date: January 25, 2011 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $13.99 | Rating: 10

Pros: small, inexpensive, works like it should and as expected
Cons:

I love this little IR remote. Makes shooting from a distance a breeze as well as self pics. Bulb mode is no problem since you can lock the button down. it is very small, about the width of two pieces of gum and the thickness of two Quarters/euro coins stacked. I keep mine it it's box when not in use so it's easy to identify and find in my camera bag. A must have accessory in my opinion. I got mine for a nice price too! Fits inside a camera battery grip too!

Registered: February, 2008
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Review Date: December 18, 2010 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Works well

Not a great deal to add to the above save to say it is a handy gadget to have in your bag or in the battery BG-2 grip slot. Sadly, I seem to have paid a lot more for this item than everyone else.

Registered: October, 2010
Location: Dayton
Review Date: December 17, 2010 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: compact
Cons: no carrying case

This was my first experience with a wireless remote for my Pentax Kx. I could not be happier with it! With past cameras I had a wire, which I trusted to actually take the picture, but it does limit you quite a bit on where you stand, how you stand and...there's normally a wire in the picture if you wanted to BE in the picture...photoshop anyone?
I recieved this remote as a gift and the first real experience I had with it was on my honeymoon. We went to the Dominican Republic, where they have outstanding sunrises...at oh, 5:30 in the morning. My wonderful husband was a sport and came out one morning with me, but the other two I was on my own. The sunrises were so awesome that I, too, wanted to be in the action! I setup the tripod and camera and wandered down the deserted beach about 20' to start snapping with the remote. It shot great from any distance and really any angle, which I found very surprising.
One morning I did get caught in a downpour and while the remote is easy to hide, I was not awake enough to have the sense to hide it from the rain! It did very well! I don't know how weather resistant it's supposed to be, but it seems with quite a bit of Pentax gear, it holds up well against the elements.
It would be really nice to have some kind of little holster for this, that is specifically designed for the remote (not something I fudged!)
I also love the auto-focusing feature that the camera and remote have together. I never would have been able to capture some of those shots without it.
In a nutshell-this is the best remote! I wish I had more opportunties to use it! Guess I'll have to invent some...

Registered: October, 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Review Date: December 3, 2010 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: $15.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Compact, convenient, easy to use
Cons: easy to lose if not careful

This may not exactly be something everybody has to have, but when I got my camera, it was one of the first accessories I bought. I haven't used it too much, but plan on using it alot in the future. Excellent for group shots. Very easy to use, but also easy to lose ( I stuck it in my jacket pocket and almost forgot where it was). You have to set the camera to remote mode and check the focus; that's pretty much it.
Add Review of Pentax Remote Control F Buy the Pentax Remote Control F

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:01 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!