Photography Roundup - 10/30
Summary of photo news, the latest contests, and more
Acid Attack | Nitrok
This was an exciting week to be a Pentaxian. Ricoh displayed the full frame prototype at Photo Plus and, wow, it's quite a camera. Drawing comparisons here are the Forum to the classic ergonomics of the Nikon F4 it also harkens to the older prism pitch of the 6x7 and LX, though adding a stately rounded logo plate. But there's a lot more happening at Pentax Forums beyonf the full frame teaser. Here are some of the highlights.
Pentax K-3 II In-depth Review Posted
Pentax Forums posted our in-depth review of the Pentax K-3 II this week. Check out the review to see the conclusions, sample images, GPS data, and pixel-shift analysis. This camera packs a huge volume of features into the body.
With the news around the full frame, there are a lot of good Pentax deals to support the hype. The Pentax medium format flagship got a price drop, and Pentax lenses are selling at record-low prices.
- B&H / Adorama Deal Roundup - Week of October 26th
- Pentax K-3 + 50mm + Flash for $649 at Adorama
- Pentax 645Z drops to $6999
- Pentax K-S1 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens (Black): $339 at B&H
- Pentax K-3 II for $779 from Amazon (w/ Prime)
Pentax Forums Roundup
Picture of the Week Contribution | DHA
Official Monthly Contest #109, Night Time is the Right Time, Winners
We announced the winners of Official Monthly Contest #109, Night Time is the Right Time. Check out the winners to see if your favorite image took the top prize! We had a fabulous collection of photos this time around.
How Many Film Camera Systems do you Own?
Almost none of us shoot Pentax exclusively. Those of us who love film also shoot a lot of other systems. Want to see what everyone else uses in addition to Pentax? Want to share what you're familiar with beyond Pentax? Check out the new "How Many Film Camera Systems do you Own?" thread.
The PhotoPlus 2015 show came to a close on the 26th. Pentax gear had its own booth this year, though there was not a lot to report in Pentax news— short of new photos of a prototype Pentax full frame body! Our news roundup begins with Pentax/full-frame links and then looks at what some other companies are doing.
- Pentax Full Frame on display at PhotoPlus
- Pentax D FA 24-70mm F2.8 Now Shipping
- Sigma Announces 20mm F1.4 "Art" Lens
- Leica SL: A New 24MP Full-Frame Camera to Compete in the Mirrorless War
- Canon Announces the EOS M10, its Most Portable Mirrorless Camera
We've been away for a couple of weeks and have built up a list of interesting, informative, and inspiring reds for you. Here are some of the great finds we've stumbled across this month.
- Casual Photophile Reviews the Pentax ME
- The Best Snaps From The Wildlife Photographer Of The Year 2015
- Time Capsule Found at 1950s Mental Hospital, Contains Film With Message For the Future
- Photographer Removes Phones From His Photos To Show How Terribly Addicted We’ve Become
- These Breathtaking Macro Photos of Bees Will Inspire You to Act and Save Them
- Russian Photographer Captures The Cutest Squirrel Photo
- Here’s What Edgar Allan Poe Wrote About the Birth of Photography in 1840
- James Nachtwey: The Journey of Hope
This week we look at Waylens, a windshield-mounted camera system that selectively records video based on your car's on-board computer's data. The idea is that users can share fun and exciting moments from driving. The downside, looking from the outside, is that it could encourage unsafe driving by only working when the car's computer indicates it should.
As always, Pentax Forums has no connection to the product or developers. We do not endorse the product or developers and share interesting Kickstarter projects so our readers can remain current on cutting-edge photographic innovation.