2017 Pentax Lens Roadmaps
9 new lenses on the horizon
Each year, it's customary for Ricoh Imaging to release updated Pentax lens roadmaps either at a major trade show, or following the release of a new lens. In 2017, there is a total of 9 new roadmapped lenses:
- 6 full-frame K-mount lenses (1 addition, 2 lens names unveiled)
- 1 APS-C K-mount lens (no changes)
- 2 medium format lenses (no changes)
- 0 Q-mount lenses (1 removed)
It's evident that in the near future, Pentax lens development efforts will continue being focused on the full-frame lineup, which is considerably more sparse than the current APS-C lineup.
At CP+ 2017, Ricoh Imaging unveiled a prototype of the D FA* 50mm F1.4 and announced that the previously-roadmapped wide-aperture short telephoto would be a D FA* 85mm F1.4. As star-series lenses, both of these will be designed to deliver the best possible image quality.
A telephoto zoom lens (such as a 70-300mm) has been added to the roadmap, likely to offer a more compact and affordable tele option than the existing lenses. Other planned lenses include an ultra-wide prime, wide-angle wide-aperture prime, and a fisheye zoom.
Click on the roadmap below to enlarge, or view the roadmap as a high-resolution PDF.
Medium Format Lenses
No changes have been made to the 645 mount lens roadmap. Two zooms: a standard and a tele, are still planned.
A wide-angle zoom such as a 12-28mm continues to be present on the roadmap, but no changes have been made since lasy year.
Development of the Pentax Q line is currently on hold. The previously-planned telephoto macro has thus been removed from the roadmap. The remaining lenses as well as the Q-S1 continue to be produced, but will not be available in the US.
More from the Pentax Forums Homepage
- Lensbaby's New Burnside 35: Swirl and...
- Cactus Enhances Wireless Flash Capabilities for...
- Pentax K-1 II Preliminary Specifications
- Pentax K-1 II On the Horizon
- K-3 II Farewell Deal: Price drop & free grip
- Announcing "Moonscape" - Our February...
- "Backyard Wild Animals" Memorial...
- Part 2: Lightroom Alternatives - An Intro to...