B&W Adventure and Discovery
By PF Staff in Favorite Photos on Jan 28, 2013
I would like to tell my fellow Pentaxians how I crafted this critical masterpiece.
- Pentax K20D
- Sigma AF 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 Macro
- Image Capture: Av mode, f/9.5, ISO 100, 70mm, 1/8 sec
- Handheld with SR turned on
- 4-star JPEG with standard noise-reduction settings
- Post-processing: Adobe Lightroom 4
I always shoot in the Adobe color space. I usually shoot in DNG RAW, but due to memory constraints I had shot in JPEG for this photo shoot. First I used a digital graduated ND filter to underexpose the sky and tree branches in the top-left corner of the photo. I also applied a second digital ND filter to the right side of the photo to underexpose the leaves. Second, I did a color to black and white conversion using Lightroom. I adjusted the black and white mix to get the look and effect that I wanted. Technically speaking, this is a grayscale image. Finally, I altered the clarity tab to make the SUV stand out from the background. I wanted to convey a sense of adventure and discovery with this shot.
Click on images to enlarge and browse
More from the Pentax Forums Homepage
- 2018 Pentax Forums T-Shirts Now Available
- August "Movement at Night" Contest...
- New Pentax Lens Compatibility Tool
- Labor Day Pentax eBook Sale: 20% Off
- Announcing "Sunset or Moonrise" - Our...
- The Making of "Just Relaxing"
- "Vacation Atmosphere" Contest Winners
- The 5 Lens Autofocus Drive Types Explained