Firmware Updates: Pentax K-1 II, K-1, KP, K-70, K-3 II, K-3
Optimizations for the HD FA Limited lenses
By PF Staff in Firmware Updates on Apr 27, 2021
The Pentax K-3 and newer are receiving firmware updates to optimize focusing performance for the new HD versions of the FA 31mm, 43mm, and 77mm Limited lenses, which are due to start shipping shortly. Click on any of the links below to download the respective update:
- Pentax K-1 firmware update version 1.54
- Pentax K-1 II firmware update version 1.20
- Pentax KP firmware update version 1.30
- Pentax K-70 firmware update version 1.12
- Pentax K-3 II firmware update version 1.11
- Pentax K-3 firmware update version 1.42
Note that the new FA Limiteds remain compatible with older bodies, even without a firmware update.
Firmware Update Notes
Pentax Firmware Update Instructions:
- Download the firmware ZIP file from the corresponding page above
- Extract the file to a folder of your choosing
- Locate the extracted .BIN file and copy it to the root (top level i.e. outside of any folder) of a formatted SD card
- Fully charge your battery (firmware will not update at fewer than 3 bars)
- Insert the card into your camera's SD1 slot
- Turn the camera power on while pressing the MENU button
- Select "Yes"at the firmware prompt
- Once the screen displays "Complete", turn off your camera
- Power your camera back on and resume normal use
- In order to verify that the firmware update was successful, go to the firmware option under the setup (wrench icon) menu tab, and confirm that the indicated firmware version matches that of the update.
Note that all updates are cumulative, so the latest firmware version includes the contents of all previous versions.
If you've having trouble updating your camera, check the points below. In nearly all cases, your issue is covered by one of these:
- Ensure you downloaded the correct firmware file for your camera (a K-3 II update will not work in a Pentax K-3, for example)
- Ensure that you extracted the .BIN file out of the ZIP (the .BIN file is the only thing that the camera wants)
- Check that the .BIN file is in the top level (root directory) of the SD card, outside of the DCIM folder
- Delete old update files prior to copying a new update over to your card
- Ensure that the .BIN file has not been renamed and that extension is unchanged (operating systems can do one or both if there are naming conflicts)
- Check that your battery is fully charged
- If your camera has two SD slots, the card with the update must be placed in SD1
Firmware Update Tutorial Video
More from the Pentax Forums Homepage
- Announcing Our October, 2023 Photo Contest
- August 2023 "People" Photo Contest...
- Pentax KF, K-3 III and K-3 III Monochrome...
- Pentax O-ICK1 Sensor Cleaning Kit Review
- August "People" Contest Finalists...
- The Pentax Cross-format Lens and Accessory Guide
- Clackers: The master of dad jokes, beginner...
- Announcing Our September, 2023 Photo Contest