Pentax K-3 III & K-3 III Monochrome Firmware Update v2.00
New AF settings, plus save and share user settings!
By cjfeola in Firmware Updates on Jun 14, 2023
- Type 3 AF.C tracking that uses user-selected AF points
- Users can now fine-tune AF.C focus sensitivity
- USER BOXES allow you to save your best settings and share them via SD cards
- An improved number of consecutive frames when shooting in crop mode
There are also the usual fixes that improve stability.
In addition, there is a Graduated Neutral Density software package that is currently only available in Japan for an additional fee. “Grad ND shooting takes two images with different exposures and synthesizes them,” according to Ricoh.
According to Ricoh, the new Type3 AF point tracking uses your selected autofocus points for tracking. This is an addition to the current Type1, which uses both the autofocus and autoexposure sensors to track, and Type2, which uses the autofocus sensor and all autofocus points.
The AF.C focus sensitivity setting allows users to select from a 5-point scale, with 1 being the most stable and 5 being the most sensitive to movement. The default setting is 3, which is the previous conventional tracking setting.
Box settings will allow users to save up to 10 sets of frequently used settings, then export them to an SD card. Saved boxes can then be imported, allowing users to set up new cameras or share your best setups here on PentaxForums!
Ricoh also said that there has been an increase in the number of images captured during continuous crop mode shooting, but did not give any details. We will update this post if our tests reveal a significant change here.
Pentax K-3 III firmware update instructions:
- Download the firmware ZIP file from the link for your camera:
- Extract the file to a folder of your choosing
- Locate the extracted .BIN file and copy it to the root (top level i.e. outside of any folder) of a formatted SD card
- Insert the card into your camera and ensure it is fully charged
- Turn the camera power on while pressing the MENU button
- Select "Yes" at the firmware prompt
- Once the screen displays "Complete", turn off your camera
- Power your camera back on and resume normal use
- In order to verify that the firmware update was successful, go to the firmware option under the setup (wrench icon) menu tab, and confirm that the indicated firmware version matches that of the update.
Note that all updates are cumulative, so the latest firmware version includes the contents of all previous versions. You only need to install the latest version. Need help? See our firmware update guide.
More from the Pentax Forums Homepage
- Pentax eBook Cyber Monday Sale: Save 25%
- October 2023 "Night Scene" Photo...
- Black Friday: The Ultimate Forum Account Upgrade!
- The New "Best of Pentax Forums"...
- Pentax WG-90 point and shoot camera announced
- Now Live: November 2023 Limited Lens Giveaway
- October "Night Scene" Contest...
- Pentax MX Overview Video