Pentax 645Z Firmware v1.30 Released
New LCD display features
By PF Staff in Firmware Updates on Jun 29, 2017
Ricoh Imaging has just released a new feature-enhancing firmware update for the Pentax 645Z, which follows in the footsteps of other recent updates that focus on keeping the functionality of top-tier models current.
This update includes features that further enhance user-friendliness for astrophotography and when shooting in strong sunlight. Like all Pentax firmware updates, it is cumulative and also includes the contents of all previous updates.
This updates adds the following two features which originally debuted on the new Pentax K-70 and Pentax K-1, respectively:
- LCD Night Vision Mode
The backlight is dimmed and the LCD adopts a red color palette to allow you to operate the camera in darkness without being blinded.
- LCD Outdoor View Setting
Allows the LCD backlight to be quickly dimmed or made brighter to make it easier to see in the dark or in harsh sunlight, respectively.
A supplement to the user manual, which describes these new functions, has been published online.
Click here to download this update from the official Pentax firmware site
Official Release Notes - Camera Firmware
Changes to V1.30
- Outdoor monitor function
The PENTAX 645Ｚ provides outdoor monitor function that you can adjust quickly to the brightness of the monitor that match the environment such as under fine weather, it makes brighter contrast stand out or darker in nightscape shooting.
- Red-lighted LCD monitor display function
The PENTAX 645Z provides a red-lighted LCD monitor display function, which prevents the pupils of the photographer’s eyes from closing down after they have become accustomed to a dark environment during astrophotography.
*When this update is done, the contents of version 1.23 and earlier will be also updated.
Pentax 645Z firmware update instructions:
- Download the latest firmware ZIP file
- Extract the file to a folder of your choosing
- Locate the extracted .BIN file and copy it to the root (top level i.e. outside of any folder) of a formatted SD card
- Insert the card into your camera's SD1 slot and ensure the battery fully charged
- Turn the camera power on while pressing the MENU button
- Select "Yes"at the firmware prompt
- Once the screen displays "Complete", turn off your camera
- Power your camera back on and resume normal use
- In order to verify that the firmware update was successful, go to the firmware option under the setup (wrench icon) menu tab, and confirm that the indicated firmware version matches that of the update.
Note that all Pentax updates are cumulative, so you do not need to install or download previous updates (nor is it possible to do so).
If you've having trouble updating your camera, check the points below. In nearly all cases, your issue is covered by one of these:
- Ensure you downloaded the correct firmware file for your camera (a K-3 II update will not work in a Pentax K-3, for example)
- Ensure that you extracted the .BIN file out of the ZIP (the .BIN file is the only thing that the camera wants)
- Check that the .BIN file is in the top level (root directory) of the SD card, outside of the DCIM folder
- Delete old update files prior to copying a new update over to your card
- Ensure that the .BIN file has not been renamed and that extension is unchanged (operating systems can do one or both if there are naming conflicts)
- Check that your battery is fully charged
- If your camera has two SD slots, the card with the update must be placed in SD1
More from the Pentax Forums Homepage
- April 2023 "Reflection" Photo Contest...
- Pentax Film Project: Lost Engineering Being Reborn
- Pentax Custom Image Guide: From Satobi to Harubeni
- New versions of the FA 50mm F1.4
- April "Reflection" Contest Finalists...
- Ricoh announces 97% profit increase for Fiscal...
- The K1000 that Survived Being Run Over by a Tank
- Announcing Our May, 2023 Photo Contest
645z, firmware, firmware update, lcd, night vision, outdoor, pentax 645z, update