Pentax K-3 Firmware v1.20 Released
Improved compatibility with new lenses
By PF Staff in Firmware Updates on Apr 15, 2015
A firmware update that enhances compatibility with the recently-launched 18-50mm, 70-200mm, and 150-450mm lenses has just been released for the Pentax K-3. The new firmware version will allow the camera to recognize when the 18-50mm is retracted and it also enables the use of the special AF buttons found on the barrel of the 150-450mm lens. As usual, this update also include minor stability fixes.
Important Note: multiple users have reported a bug that causes the rear LCD backlight to illuminate when the shutter button is half-pressed, even when the display is off. We therefore do not recommend that you upgrade to this firmware version until a patch is released. We have forwarded this feedback to Ricoh Imaging, who confirmed that it has been forwarded to the development team as of April 16.
If you would still like to proceed with the upgrade, the new firmware is available for download on the official Japanese Ricoh Imaging web site. Read on for installation instructions.
Similar updates were also released for the Pentax K-S1 and K-S2 today. The fact that they just came out could explain the apparent delay in shipments of the 70-200mm and 150-450mm.
Pentax K-3 firmware update instructions:
- Download the firmware ZIP file from this page
- Extract the file to a folder of your choosing
- Locate the extracted .BIN file and copy it to the root (top level i.e. outside of any folder) of a formatted SD card
- Insert the card into your camera and ensure it is fully charged
- Turn the camera power on while pressing the MENU button
- Select "Yes"at the firmware prompt
- Once the screen displays "Complete", turn off your camera
- Power your camera back on and resume normal use
- In order to verify that the firmware update was successful, go to the firmware option under the setup (wrench icon) menu tab, and confirm that the indicated firmware version matches that of the update.
Note that all updates are cumulative, so the latest firmware version includes the contents of all previous versions.
Firmware Update Tutorial Video
See our in-depth review for more information about the Pentax K-3.