Pentax K-3 Firmware v1.40 Released
Optimizes support for the new D FA* 50mm lens
By PF Staff in Firmware Updates on Jul 12, 2018
Ricoh Imaging has just released a new firmware update for the Pentax K-3. The version 1.40 update optimizes support for the recently-released D FA* 50mm F1.4 premium prime.
In addition, the update includes the usual minor stability fixes and as always, the contents of all previously-released updates
Download the K-3 firmware from the official Pentax firmware site.
Note that no update is needed for the Pentax K-3 II.
Official Release Notes - Camera Firmware
A similar update was released for the K-1 and KP today.
Pentax K-3 firmware update instructions:
- Download the firmware ZIP file from this page
- Extract the file to a folder of your choosing
- Locate the extracted .BIN file and copy it to the root (top level i.e. outside of any folder) of a formatted SD card
- Insert the card into your camera and ensure it is fully charged
- Turn the camera power on while pressing the MENU button
- Select "Yes"at the firmware prompt
- Once the screen displays "Complete", turn off your camera
- Power your camera back on and resume normal use
- In order to verify that the firmware update was successful, go to the firmware option under the setup (wrench icon) menu tab, and confirm that the indicated firmware version matches that of the update.
Note that all updates are cumulative, so the latest firmware version includes the contents of all previous versions.
If you've having trouble updating your camera, check the points below. In nearly all cases, your issue is covered by one of these:
- Ensure you downloaded the correct firmware file for your camera (a K-3 II update will not work in a Pentax K-3, for example)
- Ensure that you extracted the .BIN file out of the ZIP (the .BIN file is the only thing that the camera wants)
- Check that the .BIN file is in the top level (root directory) of the SD card, outside of the DCIM folder
- Delete old update files prior to copying a new update over to your card
- Ensure that the .BIN file has not been renamed and that extension is unchanged (operating systems can do one or both if there are naming conflicts)
- Check that your battery is fully charged
- If your camera has two SD slots, the card with the update must be placed in SD1
Firmware Update Tutorial Video
See our in-depth review for more information about the Pentax K-3.
More from the Pentax Forums Homepage
- June "Abstract (through pp)" Contest...
- Oben CT-2491 Tripod, GH-30 Gimbal and MFR4-5...
- Pentax D FA* 85mm F1.4 Now Shipping
- Announcing Our July 2020 Photo Contest
- The Making of "Balsam Root and Lupin"
- May Month's "Flowers" Contest...
- Pentax K-1 II Firmware v1.05 Released
- May "Flowers" Contest Finalists...