Pentax K-5/K-r/645D Firmware Updates Officially Released
SDXC Card compatibility, improved AF performance, Bulb improvements
By PF Staff in Firmware Updates on Jan 6, 2011
Pentax Japan has just officially made availble firmware version 1.02 for the K-5, which, as promised, introduces SDXC (SD Extreme Capacity) memory card compatibility. It also features improvements to the contrast-detection (live view) AF system and allows users to select any ISO while in bulb mode. The complete feature list, as stated on the Pentax website, follows:
- Compatible with SDXC memory card.
- All ISO sensitivity setting can be used on Bulb mode.
- Improved functional sequence for Contrast AF and improved total speed until in focus.
As all other firmware updates, version 1.02 also includes the updates made in version 1.01 (of note here is the larger buffer for continuous RAW shooting).
To download the new K-5 firmware, please proceed to Pentax Japan. The update procedure is fairly quick and should only take about five minutes.
Pentax also released firmware version 1.01 for the K-r, which includes the same changes as the new K-5 firmware. The 645D likewise got a firmware update; however, its new firmware only features the addition of SDXC compatibility.
Follow these instructions to update your camera:
- Download and extract the firmware update from the Pentax website
- Copy the .bin file to the root of your camera's SD card
- Insert the card into the camera
- Make sure that your camera is fully charged
- Press and hold the MENU button, then power on your camera
- Follow the on-screen prompt to update your camera
- Once COMPLETE is displayed on your LCD screen, it's safe to power down
- Turn on your camera normally
- To check your firmware version, turn your camera on while holding the MENU button
More from the Pentax Forums Homepage
- Pentax K-1 Firmware v1.41 Released
- Pentax 645Z Firmware v1.23 Released
- Pentax HD D FA 15-30mm F2.8 Review Posted
- Ricoh Stays Committed to Cameras & Pentax...
- Topaz Spring Sale: 40% Off Everything
- The Making of "Autumn Colors"
- Review of the Everyday Sling Bag by Peak Design
- "Benches" Photo Contest Winners