Ricoh GR Firmware v2.03 Released
A number of feature enhancements for the GR
By PF Staff in Firmware Updates on Oct 3, 2013
Pentax (officially Ricoh Imaging) have just released a feature-enhancing firmware update for the recently-launched Ricoh GR APS-C "serious compact" digital camera. For more information on the Ricoh GR, check out our in-depth comparative review.
The new GR firmware includes the following enhancements:
- Maximum shutter speed increased to 1/2500s (up from 1/2000s)
- You can now switch from playback mode to image capture mode by full depressing the shutter button
- A 47mm crop mode has been added (in addition to the existing 35mm crop mode)
- A new "maximum aperture priority" programmed shooting mode has been added
- New shutter button customization options added, including the ability to save settings by half-pressing the button
- You can now choose whether or not RAW files can be transferred over Eye-Fi
- Eye-fi transfer progress is now displayed in playback mode, when there is an active transfer
- A bug affecting folder numbering during Eye-fi transfer has been fixed
- The EXIF manufacturer name has been changed from "Pentax Ricoh Imaging" to "Ricoh Imaging"
- RAW image quality when using shadow correction has been improved
- While balance in Multi-P Auto mode has been improved
- In-camera noise reduction has been improved at ISO 1600 and 3200
- Eye-fi stability has been improved
- DNG ColorMatrix performance has been improved
- Various button combinations now function in a more logical manner
Ricoh GR Firmware Upgrade Instructions
- Download the firmware ZIP file
- Unzip the zip file to a folder of your choosing
- Locate the extracted .frm file and copy it to the root (top level i.e. outside of any folder) of a formatted SD card
- Insert the card into your camera and ensure it is fully charged
- Turn the camera on and go to the setup tab in the menu; select the "firmware" option
- Select "Yes" at the firmware upgrade prompt
- Once the screen displays "Firmware update complete", turn off your camera
- Power your camera back on and resume normal use
- In order to verify that the firmware update was successful, go back to the firmware option in the setup menu. The screen should indicate the latest version. You can now resume normal camera use.
More from the Pentax Forums Homepage
- Pentax KP eBook Now Available
- Pentax K-1 Firmware v1.41 Released
- Pentax 645Z Firmware v1.23 Released
- Pentax HD D FA 15-30mm F2.8 Review Posted
- Ricoh Stays Committed to Cameras & Pentax...
- Topaz Spring Sale: 40% Off Everything
- The Making of "Autumn Colors"
- Review of the Everyday Sling Bag by Peak Design