Ricoh GR Firmware v4.00 Released
Minor enhancements and firmware features
By PF Staff in Firmware Updates on Jun 3, 2014
Firmware version 4.00 has just been released for the Ricoh GR. This updates adds a few minor features to the camera's menu, as described below.
Download the firmware update from the official Ricoh web site.
1. New High-Speed AF Mode
This new setting in the setup menu allows you to select a high-speed mode for single AF. While focusing in this mode, the live view screen will freeze. Therefore, this setting is only recommended when capturing the moment is more important than perfecting the composition.
The AF mode will always revert to "Normal" while using continuous or subject tracking AF.
2. Plackback animation setting
When set to "Off", this setting disables the scrolling animation shown when you cycle through photos in playback mode. It defaults to "on".
3. "Slight" and "Shift Crop" Effects
The new "slight" effect applies muted color tones to the image. "Shift crop" lets you shoot 1:1 verticlals with the top or bottom of the image cropped off. The latter imposes additional restrictions as detailed in the updated camera manual.
4. Updated image deletion options
New options have been added to make it easier to delete the RAW or JPEG when shooting in RAW+ mode.
5. Image sequence number option
When set to "off", the new Card Sequence Number option in the setup menu will reset the image file number back to 0001 when a new or blank SD card is inserted. This setting defaults to "on", such that the sequence number increases together with the shutter count.
Ricoh GR Firmware Upgrade Instructions
- Download the firmware ZIP file
- Unzip the zip file to a folder of your choosing
- Locate the extracted .frm file (rg1_v004.frm) and copy it to the root (top level i.e. outside of any folder) of a formatted SD card
- Insert the card into your camera and ensure the battery is fully charged
- Turn the camera on and go to the setup tab in the menu; select the "firmware" option
- Select "Yes" at the firmware upgrade prompt
- Once the screen displays "Firmware update complete", turn off your camera
- Power your camera back on and resume normal use
- In order to verify that the firmware update was successful, go back to the firmware option in the setup menu. The screen should indicate the latest version. You can now resume normal camera use.
Need help? Visit our Ricoh GR forum.